samighi11

PI B2 stuck in VGA at boot up

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:24 am

I have a B2 (one of many many) and I am not a beginner.

I was trying to get this B2 to run VGA and doing a lot of config.txt setting changes. After hours of hours of failing to get it to output HDMI->VGA, I gave up.

After serveral reboots of trying more HDMI settings, the B2 only boots in VGA mode and I can't move it off VGA fonts or resolution.

I am not sure how to describe this better, but the fonts is huge and I can only get VGA sized desktop. I can use the same SD card on another B2 and it boots fine. Swap to other known good SD cards and still VGA. And have tried numerous cables.

Any help would be appreciated.

W. H. Heydt

Re: PI B2 stuck in VGA at boot up

Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:31 am

First, the Pi is not able to output VGA.

What I *think* you mean is that your output resolution is 640x480, the original VGA resolution from 30 years ago. It also sounds like you have an HDMI to VGA converter of some type. If that is the case, please specify exactly what your converter is. Such converters *must* be active devices to work with a Pi. Bear in mind that not all HDMI to VGA converters handle all resolutions.

BMS Doug

Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:58 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:First, the Pi is not able to output VGA*.
*Unless using a GertVGA666
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:24 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: ...
What I *think* you mean is that your output resolution is 640x480, the original VGA resolution from 30 years ago. It also sounds like you have an HDMI to VGA converter of some type. If that is the case, please specify exactly what your converter is. Such converters *must* be active devices to work with a Pi. Bear in mind that not all HDMI to VGA converters handle all resolutions.
It may also be helpful, using an unmodified config.txt, if you post the outputs from these variations of the tvservice** command:
tvservice -n
tvservice -m DMT
tvservice -m CEA
tvserivce -s
Trev.
** For more info. see my notes here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... tings.html
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

samighi11

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:36 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:First, the Pi is not able to output VGA.

Yes, (obvious), I meant it only output over HDMI with 640x480. I have an HDMI cable only and can substitute another PI B2 with the same cable, same SD card, and the HDMI output is 1080 or appropriate to the monitor. There is no VGA card involved. the resolution comes in at 640x480 no matter what I do.

samighi11

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:38 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
It may also be helpful, using an unmodified config.txt, if you post the outputs from these variations of the tvservice** command:
tvservice -n
tvservice -m DMT
tvservice -m CEA
tvserivce -s
Trev.
thank you. Totally forward about tvservice command. I am not super familiar with it, but used it for another project the other week. I will be able to boot it in a bit (have to go find it among all the ones I setup for my class today).

what should or should I not see in this output? TV Modes available for the HDMI monitor?

thanks, sa

samighi11

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:17 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
tvservice -n
tvservice -m DMT
tvservice -m CEA
tvserivce -s
Trev.
Here is the output

r

Code: Select all

[email protected]:/boot# tvservice -n
[E] No device present
[email protected]:/boot# tvservice -m DMT
Group DMT has 1 modes:
  (prefer) mode 4: 640x480 @ 60Hz 4:3, clock:25MHz progressive 
[email protected]:/boot# tvservice -m CEA
Group CEA has 2 modes:
           mode 4: 1280x720 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:74MHz progressive 
           mode 16: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz 16:9, clock:148MHz progressive 
[email protected]:/boot# tvservice -s    
state 0x120016 [DVI DMT (4) RGB full 4:3], 640x480 @ 60.00Hz, progressive
I tried this with an original config.txt (from the original distort) same exact results.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:57 pm

samighi11 wrote: ...
Here is the output
r

[E] No device present
Group DMT has 1 modes:
Group CEA has 2 modes:
I tried this with an original config.txt (from the original distort) same exact results.
Somewhat intriguing results:
That for the "-n" option suggests that the Pi is not getting any info. from the T.V. and, given that it's also falling back to composite video (from the "-s" option result) there's no "hotplug" signal either. Hmmm ....
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

samighi11

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:21 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
samighi11 wrote: ...
Here is the output
r

[E] No device present
Group DMT has 1 modes:
Group CEA has 2 modes:
That for the "-n" option suggests that the Pi is not getting any info. from the T.V. and, given that it's also falling back to composite video (from the "-s" option result) there's no "hotplug" signal either. Hmmm ....
Trev.
Exactly. That is the type of issue I see. it is getting some info. but not everything. As a result it does VGA resolution only. it is possible due to the 100s of times I did HDMI plug unplug, I damaged the HDMI connector? or some HDMI Chip?

anything I can do to fix it? or the raspi is now defective?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:42 pm

samighi11 wrote:
FTrevorGowen wrote: ...
Trev.
Exactly. That is the type of issue I see. it is getting some info. but not everything. As a result it does VGA resolution only. it is possible due to the 100s of times I did HDMI plug unplug, I damaged the HDMI connector? or some HDMI Chip?
anything I can do to fix it? or the raspi is now defective?
Maybe - is any damage visible using a magnifying glass? Another possibility - if the Pi is cased - is that the cable plug is a "tad short" and is not inserting fully due to the case wall thickness (I've had that happen with one cable). What happens if you run the tvservice commands with a working Pi/cable combo and use the obtained info. to place entries in config.txt that match the display's preferred mode (as shown in my notes linked to in a previous post) and also to "force the hotplug signal"? Also check the HDMI socket on the display (if it has more than one input, try another).
Trev.

samighi11

Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Thank you. Yes. I have tried multiple monitors, multiple cable, multiple raspis (I usually build 10 per class and distribute), multiple everything. And multiple TV/monitors. All yield the same. Vga resolution. All other raspis I own show correct resolution.

I will do a magnifying glass view of the pins. Since this is HDMI I figured it was all or nothing. I strongly suspect a problem w the socket. But w my eyes I can't see a defect. I have had issues previously w DVI pins bending or depressing. But never w hdmi.

I will update everyone late tonight.

SA

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:25 am

samighi11 wrote:Thank you. Yes. I have tried multiple monitors, multiple cable, multiple raspis (I usually build 10 per class and distribute), multiple everything. And multiple TV/monitors. All yield the same. Vga resolution. All other raspis I own show correct resolution.
I will do a magnifying glass view of the pins. Since this is HDMI I figured it was all or nothing. I strongly suspect a problem w the socket. But w my eyes I can't see a defect. I have had issues previously w DVI pins bending or depressing. But never w hdmi.
SA
Another thought has just come to me - since it's a B2 (ie. no USB polyfuses etc.) not a B+ or P2B, maybe the diode that feeds (limited) power via the HDMI port to the NVRAM? in the display has blown. (This was quite common with some early, power-hungry HDMI-to-VGA converters and later models of Pi's had different circuitry).
Trev.

samighi11

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:43 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
samighi11 wrote:Thank you. Yes. I have tried multiple monitors, multiple cable, multiple raspis (I usually build 10 per class and distribute), multiple everything. And multiple TV/monitors. All yield the same. Vga resolution. All other raspis I own show correct resolution.
SA
Another thought has just come to me - since it's a B2 (ie. no USB polyfuses etc.) not a B+ or P2B, maybe the diode that feeds (limited) power via the HDMI port to the NVRAM? in the display has blown. (This was quite common with some early, power-hungry HDMI-to-VGA converters and later models of Pi's had different circuitry).
Trev.
Ok. That is the type of response I was hoping for. Some logical possibility that something blew. I will open a ticket w the vendor and see if I can rma it. I forget (no reply needed) that there is a 1 year warranty w the pis.

Thank you for coming up w a logical potential explanation.

Return to “Troubleshooting”