JimmyN

Re: The screen is 'sliding' ( gap between screen and bezel )

Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Here's how I fixed mine, it's holding up fine after several weeks and I've got quite a bit of tension pulling back on it to keep the glass against the wood frame. I doubt it will be a problem any more.

To start off with let me say that all hazards, warnings, and cautions that apply to using epoxy are in effect.
Second do not attempt this, do not allow anyone else to attempt this, and these instructions are provided for informational and entertainment purposes only.

With that said lets get started. First MAKE SURE the glass/display is lined up perfectly, if it's off and you do this you'll never move it again. You'll need some painters tape (low tack), some epoxy (30 minute at least, 60 would be better, definitely no 5 minute stuff), paper towels/rags, and some acetone. You won't need the acetone, but just in case. You'll also need a wood matchstick, wood/bamboo skewer or something else that you shave down the end and use as a tiny spatula.

Use the painters tape and mask off everything that you don't want to get epoxy on. If you have a cat put it in another room and close the door. Run the edge of the tape about a 1/16" out from the corner where the display back meets the glass. You'll see a small gap where the existing adhesive holds the back to the glass, that's the area you want to fill. You can tape the back off as I did, or run the tape down over the sides of the back plate to limit where the epoxy goes. Mine looked like this when I was ready to mix the epoxy.
epoxy.jpg
epoxy.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
Now mix the epoxy, be sure to make enough, you don't want stop half way though to mix up some more. Start applying it all the way around with your little spatula. It doesn't take much. Then take a paper towel/rag, or I actually use my finger for this, and pressing into the corner wipe it all around, just as if you were smoothing out caulk. The extra will spread out onto the painters tape and that's fine.

When you have it all smoothed out start carefully removing the tape. You need to do this before the epoxy starts to set, for several reasons. The surface energy of the metal and glass is higher than epoxy so if you remove the tape before the epoxy starts to "gel" it will flow out a little and give you a nice tapered off edge. The second reason is that if the epoxy has started to gel pulling the tape will create these long thin filiaments of epoxy between the display and tape as you pull it away. They will stick to anything they touch and you'll have to clean up afterward. And the last reason is that you shouldn't disturb epoxy once it has started to gel as it disrupts the molecular structure that has started to form. That's why you should use a slow set epoxy for this as it takes time to apply it and then remove the tape before it starts to set.

Now use the acetone if needed to clean off any that ended up on the glass or metal when you were removing the tape. It won't effect the metal or the black "ink" on the glass. Be careful though as acetone will destroy just about any plastic, wood finish, paint, etc. Do not get it on the FPC/ribbon cable for the display. When you're done it should look something like this, you can barely see the epoxy seam just above the lettering. Mine actually extended up onto the metal some, you can see the reflection of the lettering on it. Set it aside and let it cure for 24 hours before you put any tension on the back, and you'll be all set.
epoxy1.jpg
epoxy1.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
It sounds more involved that it is, and it only took me about 30 minutes to complete once I had my spatula made and all the materials ready to go. So it's pretty easy to do, doesn't take long, and my display was only out of action for a day.

Mark_T

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:28 pm

The cause of the touchscreen part coming off is the Pimoroni acrylic case pushing it off by a mm or so, and
the glue is actually viscoelastic and eventually gives up. If you add washers under the acrylic for the mounting
screws it no longer exerts a force on the touchscreen layer which should prevent this happening.

One thing I've found is that the glue is super-efficient and re-attaching once you disassemble the case, notable
in the wrong position. prying it off again for re-positioning requires care, patience and steady pressure - the glue
forms elastic strands upto 3mm long or so before it gives up! Once its detached power up so you can see the
screen edges clearly and reposition carefully - it sticks very efficiently so you have to get it right first time
or repeat the whole process.

Mettauk

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:13 am

Same problem here, framed screen drifting off to one side after about a month of only occasional use. Will return for refund soon
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

wonkywheel

Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:21 pm

I emailed the pihut to ask for advise on the sliding screen .
They said they were aware of the problem and if I returned it the replacement would probably be the same???? :o
Double sided tape for me. ;)

gadgetoid

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:14 pm

The cause of the touchscreen part coming off is the Pimoroni acrylic case pushing it off by a mm or so, and
the glue is actually viscoelastic and eventually gives up. If you add washers under the acrylic for the mounting
screws it no longer exerts a force on the touchscreen layer which should prevent this happening.
The cause is poor quality or insufficiently cured glue in what seems to be a very small number of displays. We've seen instances of screens coming apart from users who haven't even used our case.

And, of course, the thousands of happy users who have our case and have encountered no problems. I've personally had two set up since the display launched, with no problems whatsoever.

I haven't yet heard of a single instance of this happening twice to someone.

elParaguayo

Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:39 pm

gadgetoid wrote:
The cause is poor quality or insufficiently cured glue in what seems to be a very small number of displays. We've seen instances of screens coming apart from users who haven't even used our case.

And, of course, the thousands of happy users who have our case and have encountered no problems. I've personally had two set up since the display launched, with no problems whatsoever.

I haven't yet heard of a single instance of this happening twice to someone.
I'd agree with this. I'm on my second screen with the Pimoroni stand and haven't had any issues.
RPi Information Screen: plugin based system for displaying weather, travel information, football scores etc.

Ivan Lietaert

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 am

I have the same issue (screen mounted in Pimoroni Pibow stand too) after one month of normal use. Have contacted my supplier (Kiwi Electronics in The Netherlands).

Return to “Official Foundation Display”