PiGraham

Re: Meet Raspberry Pi Zero: the $5 computer

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:41 pm

rpdom wrote:
na1pir wrote:That 8 pin thing is probably some sort of jtag, but info on other test pads would still be highly appreciated.
I'd assume it was like the 8 pin test connector on the underside of the HDMI on the 2B (not having looked at the pictures or actual board yet)
It looks like a layout for a metal bodied connector something like the USB or HDMI types. Big flat pads (for the can?) and very fine finger pads for the contacts. It doesn't look like test pads. There a lot of test pads on there: PP1 to PP37 ("pogo pin"?).

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:44 pm

I think the unpopoulated J5 header is for JTAG. You'll find it under the HDMI port on Pi2B as well.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

gregeric

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:47 pm

PiGraham wrote:
rpdom wrote:
na1pir wrote:That 8 pin thing is probably some sort of jtag, but info on other test pads would still be highly appreciated.
I'd assume it was like the 8 pin test connector on the underside of the HDMI on the 2B (not having looked at the pictures or actual board yet)
It looks like a layout for a metal bodied connector something like the USB or HDMI types. Big pads for the can and very fine finger pads for the contacts. It doesn't look like test pads. There a lot of test pads on there: PP1 to PP37 ("pogo pin"?).
Some of the J5 connector's pads have been pogo-pinned - it leaves a tell-tale dint visable under a microscope.

gregeric

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:49 pm

alexeames wrote:I think the unpopoulated J5 header is for JTAG. You'll find it under the HDMI port on Pi2B as well.
But why put it as a mountable connector, J5?

And what's the unpopulated U13 for?

Paul Webster

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Mine booted when I plugged a PiHub into the USB (not power) socket ... so that saves one micro usb cable.

danielandrews7396

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi there,

I subscribe to the Magpi via the android app. Am I able to claim my pizero that I would get if I bought an hard copy version of the mag?

Thanks,

Dan Andrews

kusti8

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:54 pm

Annoyingly here in the US, its Thanksgiving, so everywhere where I may be able to get one (if they even have one) is closed. All the online stores are sold out, because I woke up late and the UK is a few hours ahead of me. Grr!
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

gordon77

Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:59 pm

blc wrote:They've done it again. Those glorious nerds have done it again.

A "full" computer for $35 was an incredible achievement. Getting the price down to $25 for the Model A was a big step forward. They've now shrunk the price to $5 and you still get the same spec as the original Model A - better than the Model A in fact.

This really is a staggering achievement, I've no other words to describe it.
Model A without the camera or DSI ports perhaps...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:06 pm

DaveSemm wrote:I know there are alternatives to the missing audio outputs, but I'd just like to know: are the two PWM outputs which are used for audio on the other Pi models accessible on the Zero? So long as we can make connections to them, via solder pad or GPIO pin, we can add an RC filter to have audio work in exactly the same way (i.e. use the same SD card image) for just a few cents of hardware. If not, I'll understand - for $5 you can't have everything, and as everyone has said, this is the most awesome IoT device out there at this incredible price.
You can use the PWM on the GPIO header, it actually uses the same PWM engine as one of the audio PWM's, so you can get mono audio out of it for a few pennies, and with the I2S interface board that Liz mentions you can even get extremely high quality stereo audio out of it for a few dollars.

blc

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:12 pm

gordon77 wrote:Model A without the camera or DSI ports perhaps...
True, but the camera port was useless on the original Model A and Model B for around a year, and the DSI port has been useless on all models until recently.

greg123

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:31 pm

I still feel C.H.I..P is better than the new Raspberry Pi Zero even though it is more expensive. The Raspberry Pi Zero may be more cheaper than the C.H.I.P but the C.H.I.P has built in storage (4GB) and Bluetooth and Wifi. If you want to add that capability to the new Pi Zero it would cost you more than $9 even if you include shipping (at least for people in the US). C.H.I.P is also open hardware which the Pi Zero is not.
C.H.I.P
Integrated Bluetooth and Wifi
Open Hardware
4(GB) of Storage
$9 (plus tax and $5 shipping to the US)

Raspberry Pi Zero $5
Large community
Closed Hardware
needs micro sd card $5
Bluetooth/Wifi adapter $19
$29
Last edited by greg123 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ric96

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:32 pm

i'll just drop my video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTM-q_j-UOk
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

antonius

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:32 pm

Thank you, that is one amazing news!

Please, few questions:

- What is the power consumption? Is it similar to A/A+?

- As it presumably runs an overclocked A/A+ CPU, is it possible to overclock it even further?

- I think I read somewhere that several tens thousands were already produced, which I image are already sold-out. Is Zero going to get the same attention production-wise compared to other models? Is it going to be produced for the years coming in large quantities or is it "only" a Christmas present for the coming holidays?

Long_Term_Lurker

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:38 pm

It's interesting to note from https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/wp-co ... adzero.png that the USB on the go ID pin is taken to a via, not all the tracking layers are shown but that implies that maybe the Pi Zero might not only work as a USB device with a micro B cable and the right drivers, but might be made to work as an on the go device changing from a host to a device on the fly? :shock:

mikerr

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Mine booted when I plugged a PiHub into the USB (not power) socket ... so that saves one micro usb cable.
Here's mine with wifi and power over one cable, running off a powerbank

Cable on amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... ge_o01_s00

also updated my Pi android app to identify the Pi Zero
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ealthcheck
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

hippy

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:09 pm

mahjongg wrote:You can use the PWM on the GPIO header, it actually uses the same PWM engine as one of the audio PWM's, so you can get mono audio out of it for a few pennies
I may be wrong but I thought the audio PWM could be routed to GPIO18 and GPIO19 which are both present on the 40-way allowing stereo with a simple RC circuit.

joan

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:14 pm

hippy wrote:
mahjongg wrote:You can use the PWM on the GPIO header, it actually uses the same PWM engine as one of the audio PWM's, so you can get mono audio out of it for a few pennies
I may be wrong but I thought the audio PWM could be routed to GPIO18 and GPIO19 which are both present on the 40-way allowing stereo with a simple RC circuit.
The hardware PWM channels 0/1 are available on GPIO 12/13 and 18/19 on the Pis with the 40 pin expansion header.

RichardUK

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Long_Term_Lurker wrote: but might be made to work as an on the go device changing from a host to a device on the fly? :shock:
The compute model and I believe an old style model A have been made to work in device mode. A long while ago with a lot of hacking. I believe it is part of the standard that a USB OTG device should check what order the pins are pulled high and low so to know if to select device or host mode. If that is the case then it is just a layout of the board and using the correct resisters and connector.

If they have done this then it is just a software issue and would be ace to plug the RPi and have it show up as a USB network gadget device and a USB storage device. This has been done for years with pricey OEM dev kits.

If they have not but I am correct about the wiring, someone could hack it up. :)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:16 pm

hippy wrote:I may be wrong but I thought the audio PWM could be routed to GPIO18 and GPIO19 which are both present on the 40-way allowing stereo with a simple RC circuit.
Yes, I think you are correct. Set the correct ALT modes for the GPIO pins and (unfiltered) audio should come out.

dom

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:23 pm

RichardUK wrote: The compute model and I believe an old style model A have been made to work in device mode. A long while ago with a lot of hacking. I believe it is part of the standard that a USB OTG device should check what order the pins are pulled high and low so to know if to select device or host mode. If that is the case then it is just a layout of the board and using the correct resisters and connector.

If they have done this then it is just a software issue and would be ace to plug the RPi and have it show up as a USB network gadget device and a USB storage device. This has been done for years with pricey OEM dev kits.

If they have not but I am correct about the wiring, someone could hack it up. :)
Yes, in theory USB OTG and using the Pi Zero as a host or gadget is possible (just as it is on model A and CM). Not sure if anyone has got that working?

On Pi Zero the OTG line is used and makes the linux driver choose host/gadget mode. However as most people want host mode, and non-OTG cables make the Pi Zero boot in gadget mode, we ignore this.
You can revert this commit to make OTG switching work.

However that is not sufficient. The USB driver hasn't been tested in gadget mode by us for about 3 years, and certainly some of the FIQ stuff doesn't work with gadget mode.
Some some hacking would be needed (starting with disabling the fiq) to make this work. Volunteers are welcome!

Turm

4 (unpopulated) 'Run' and TV-Pins on the Raspberry Pi Zero..

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Hallo Raspberry PI Users!
I have just some questions: Am I right that the (unpopulated) TV-Pins are for Composite output like the Cinch jack on the "older" Raspberry PIs? :?:
And which Purpose do the 'Run'-Pins have? Do they work as Reset- or Shutdown-Pins? :?:
Thanks a lot! ;)
Das Avatar ist ein Apfelmännchen. Erstellt mit einem Fraktalprogramm.:)

greg123

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Where can one buy just a Raspberry Pi Zero for $5? I can't find a site that has cheap shipping to the USA that sells just the Raspberry Pi Zero.

RaTTuS

Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:51 pm

greg123 wrote:Where can one buy just a Raspberry Pi Zero for $5? I can't find a site that has cheap shipping to the USA that sells just the Raspberry Pi Zero.
probably nowhere now it will be out of stock
give it a couple of weeks ....
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

leol

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:06 pm

liz wrote:Those of you asking about audio: Pimoroni should have this DAC add-on in stock very soon. https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/phat-dac
The IQAudio DACs and Amps should work too & I can recommend them.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:09 pm

gregeric wrote:But why put it as a mountable connector, J5?
because a proper connector is much easier for development work than random wires soldered to the board.

Return to “General discussion”