greypower1
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:19 pm

western digital drive package

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:30 am

Just spotted this WD "offer" - It may be old news, I don't know.

US - http://store.wdc.com/promo/96259800

UK - http://store.wdc.com/promo/96259700

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: western digital drive package

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:55 pm

That's a nice setup kit, I like their cable.
WD PiDrive.gif
WD PiDrive.gif (18.64 KiB) Viewed 8319 times
(See the Install guide).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 5084
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: western digital drive package

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:08 pm

Looks good, but I couldn't see the current rating of the PSU.
Drive looks like it says 0.65A @ 5V on the case.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10493
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: western digital drive package

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:41 pm

nice looking thing ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

d3vbk
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:00 am

Re: western digital drive package

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:26 pm

projpi.com has put up a 35% off coupon code for this.

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: western digital drive package

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:43 am

d3vbk wrote:projpi.com has put up a 35% off coupon code for this.
Even with the discount it still seems a bit expensive. but I like the connector.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Pi_Fanatic
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Re: western digital drive package

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:46 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
d3vbk wrote:projpi.com has put up a 35% off coupon code for this.
Even with the discount it still seems a bit expensive. but I like the connector.
Really, compared to what exactly ? a 1TB 2.5" WD Blue drive goes for $56.90
http://amzn.to/1LnFY70

A 256GB Thumb drive goes for about $75 and a 1TB Portable USB drive goes for about $45. A portable drive would entail multiple cords. So this solution uses one power cord and one data transfer cord, albeit a little clunky but will be refined over time.

It never ceases to amaze me when a cool new idea is offered and people respond with "Meh" or "it's expensive".

Ok I'll get off my soapbox now

Pi_Fanatic

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: western digital drive package

Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:13 pm

Pi_Fanatic wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:
d3vbk wrote:projpi.com has put up a 35% off coupon code for this.
Even with the discount it still seems a bit expensive. but I like the connector.
Really, compared to what exactly ? a 1TB 2.5" WD Blue drive goes for $56.90
http://amzn.to/1LnFY70

A 256GB Thumb drive goes for about $75 and a 1TB Portable USB drive goes for about $45. A portable drive would entail multiple cords. So this solution uses one power cord and one data transfer cord, albeit a little clunky but will be refined over time.

It never ceases to amaze me when a cool new idea is offered and people respond with "Meh" or "it's expensive".

Ok I'll get off my soapbox now

Pi_Fanatic
meh.

I said I liked the cable, in fact I said it twice.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
blachanc
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 am
Location: Quebec,canada(french)

Re: western digital drive package

Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Dhoo,

Not available yet in the USA northern suburb (Canada).

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

mikerr
Posts: 2782
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: western digital drive package

Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 am

1TB Pi Drive = 1TB WD USB3 drive + X cable + PSU + 4GB SD = £70
http://store.wdc.com/store/wdeu/en_GB/D ... d.13833200

1TB WD USB3 Drive = £48
http://store.wdc.com/store/wdeu/en_GB/D ... s_Portable

So that USB-X cable, 4GB SD and PSU is costing you £22

My only real gripe is that the drive appears to be uncased.

(there are USB-Y cables available, but not seen an exact replica of this one )
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

tokyostormdrain
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: western digital drive package

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:02 am

£45 promo price now.

I'm tempted to get one. I just got bittorrent sync and want to set up a low power always on backup/storage. Just need to find some sort of case to fit it all in

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20930
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: western digital drive package

Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:16 am

tokyostormdrain wrote:£45 promo price now.

I'm tempted to get one. I just got bittorrent sync and want to set up a low power always on backup/storage. Just need to find some sort of case to fit it all in
Yes very good value compared to a standard £40.00 USB Drive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimlin ... B008PABFX8


In the UK WDC supply a 5.1V 2A 10.2W PSU

http://store.wdc.com/store/wdeu/en_GB/D ... t_Wireless
Retired disgracefully.....

dwcsjca
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: western digital drive package

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi, I'm on the WD team that supports the PiDrive and other RPi initiatives. Regarding enclosures for the PiDrive kit, during off-hours I created a few designs for DIY 3D-prints and posted them on thingiverse.com. If the response is positive, I hope to use the thingiverse view/download numbers to convince WD to fund tooling and make them more accessible to the community.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:993481
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:999924
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1003585
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1030236

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10493
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: western digital drive package

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:53 am

nice !
What is the actual connection to the HD a USB plug / socket or something different
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

dwcsjca
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: western digital drive package

Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks!

The HDD is "USB native" meaning that its I/O is a via a USB3 microB female connector on the drive. On the HDD's PCBA there's a SATA-to-USB bridge.

The drive is connected to the RPi via a special adapter cable we designed. We call it the "Dragon Cable" as it has three leads coming out of the connection to the HDD. The objective was to provide independent power to the HDD without an external USB hub and still have only one power source/adapter for the setup. Reduce the "clumsiness" of Pi+HDD setups.

The cable's three leads do this:
(1) 5V power input (via USB2 microB female connector). A 5V 2A adapter and USB2 extension cable are provided with the kit.
(2) HDD to Rpi USB port for data connection
(3) 5V power output to RPi power input (via USB2 microB male connector)

The Dragon Cable can also be used to connect the USB HDD to Android phones and tablets (which would otherwise not be able to accommodate the HDD's power requirement). And it can also connect the HDD to stick computers (like the Intel Compute Stick) without needing an external USB hub.

We'll be offering a kit without the HDD and SDcard (it'll contain the Dragon Cable, AC adapter and USB extension cable) so users that already have a USB drive can clean up their act too :)

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: western digital drive package

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:13 am

dwcsjca wrote: We'll be offering a kit without the HDD and SDcard (it'll contain the Dragon Cable, AC adapter and USB extension cable) so users that already have a USB drive can clean up their act too :)
That is excellent news, I'll look forward to seeing it.

Is a 5V 2A supply going to be enough for the Pi and the drive?
Lets imagine that I've added a USB WIFI dongle to the Pi, they can be quite power hungry and peak power usage of the Drive will coincide with usage if the dongle.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

dwcsjca
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: western digital drive package

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi, the 2A supply should be sufficient in most cases. The drive's peak current is about an amp and its power connection is directly to the AC adapter, not to the Pi's USB port. The Pi has a voltage protection circuit to ensure that the SoC is the last thing to get starved if peripherals demand excessive current. If there's an overload I believe that either the current supply to the USB port(s) is shut down and/or the USB hub is shut down- I'm not sure and have asked the team to look into it. If the USB hub is shut down (data lines as well as power lines), the Pi would disconnect from the HDD even if the HDD is receiving power directly from the adapter.

But again, in most cases 2A should cover it. I'll try to get more definitive info; in the meantime, if others on the forum have better info, please chime in!

Thanks.

dwcsjca
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: western digital drive package

Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:17 am

Hi, quick update on WD PiDrive product offerings:

-The PiDrive cable (enables powering of RPi and HDD without a USB hub) is now available separately
-The above cable is now offered in a bundle with the 5V power adapter and USB power cable
-The PiDrive kit now includes an enclosure that houses the RPi and HDD

All of the above are currently being offered at discount:

WD On-line store, UK:
http://store.wdc.com/store/wdeu/en_GB/D ... WD_PiDrive

WD Online store, US:
http://store.wdc.com/store/wdus/en_US/l ... WD_PiDrive

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: western digital drive package

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:09 am

dwcsjca wrote:Hi, quick update on WD PiDrive product offerings:

-The PiDrive cable (enables powering of RPi and HDD without a USB hub) is now available separately
-The above cable is now offered in a bundle with the 5V power adapter and USB power cable
-The PiDrive kit now includes an enclosure that houses the RPi and HDD

All of the above are currently being offered at discount:

WD On-line store, UK:
http://store.wdc.com/store/wdeu/en_GB/D ... WD_PiDrive

WD Online store, US:
http://store.wdc.com/store/wdus/en_US/l ... WD_PiDrive

Thank you, great news.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

User avatar
blachanc
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 am
Location: Quebec,canada(french)

Re: western digital drive package

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:34 pm

still no luck in Canada...
Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20930
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: western digital drive package

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:47 pm

blachanc wrote:still no luck in Canada...
Ben
What has that got to do with this forum :?:

Western Digital should be your first point of contact :(
Retired disgracefully.....

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5160
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:59 am
Location: Berkshire, England

Re: western digital drive package

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:04 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
blachanc wrote:still no luck in Canada...
Ben
What has that got to do with this forum :?:

Western Digital should be your first point of contact :(
What's it go to do with you? Please don't police the forum - play nice or not at all. If you have an issue, raise a report.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36327
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: western digital drive package

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:33 pm

blachanc wrote:still no luck in Canada...
Ben
I was going to say Tweet at them, but their twitter account is protected (for some mysterious reason). So your best bet may be to pick up the phone and call WD at 1-877-934-6972. WD Store customer support hours: Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time, and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time.

It seems odd that they supply that nice hard drive package to this side of the pond, but won't supply it to their northern cousins.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20930
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: western digital drive package

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:49 pm

texy wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
blachanc wrote:still no luck in Canada...
Ben
What has that got to do with this forum :?:

Western Digital should be your first point of contact :(
What's it go to do with you? Please don't police the forum - play nice or not at all. If you have an issue, raise a report.
Texy
Question marks denote asking a question for clarification, do not know what you feel Question Marks are for, please note a WHATEVER :!:
Retired disgracefully.....

User avatar
blachanc
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 am
Location: Quebec,canada(french)

Re: western digital drive package

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:15 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
blachanc wrote:still no luck in Canada...
Ben
It seems odd that they supply that nice hard drive package to this side of the pond, but won't supply it to their northern cousins.
Thanks douggie,
I wrote my "still no luck in canada" post in a hurry, after my first contact with WD (3 different calls). I should have mentioned that I already contacted them at the time(never post in a hurry :oops: ). After a second exchange with WD, things got really better, so there is still hope.

To all: Please lets keep this thread on topic, and if there any "Heat" to exchange, lets do it via PM...

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

Return to “For sale”