spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

STICKY: How to upgrade a Wheezy image to Jessie

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:40 am

We have tested the following method to update from a card containing a vanilla Wheezy image (the latest version dated 5/5/15) to Jessie. This technique is not guaranteed to work on every modified image, but it should give a good starting point. We strongly advise that you BACK UP YOUR CARD BEFORE YOU START - the method below is unsupported and is at your own risk; we cannot accept responsibility for any data loss that may result. You have been warned!

Updating the OS and installed packages
==============================
1. Modify the file /etc/apt/sources.list – change “wheezy” to “jessie” in the first line, so it reads “deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi”
2. Modify the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list – change “wheezy” to “jessie” in the first line and add “ ui” to the end of that line, so it reads “deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian jessie main ui”
3. Create the directory /home/pi/.config/autostart by typing “mkdir /home/pi/.config/autostart” in a terminal. (Note the . in front of config.)
4. Type “sudo apt-get update” in a terminal to update the apt index files.
5. Type “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” to start the upgrade process – this will take a couple of hours. Whenever prompted to update a file during this process, choose the Y option to accept the new file; if you don't want to be bothered with these prompts, then call apt-get with the -y option - “sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade”.

First Jessie boot
============
Reboot once the upgrade has finished – you will see several messages about “Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain” – wait until these stop and then login at the command prompt as the pi user.
If the GUI doesn’t start automatically, type “startx” at the command prompt. The desktop will take several minutes to launch as files are updated; the screen will go black, but just wait for it to finish.

Add new packages
==============
Once the desktop has loaded, open a terminal window and type “sudo apt-get install rc-gui libreoffice libreoffice-gtk alacarte bluej greenfoot claws-mail”. This installs the new packages - respectively, the new GUI version of raspi-config, LibreOffice and its GTK extension, the Alacarte menu editor, the BlueJ and Greenfoot Java IDEs and the ClawsMail email client

GUI fixes
=======
In a terminal, type:
“cp –ax /usr/share/themes/PiX ~/.themes” – this loads the new version of the PiX GTK theme. (Note the . in front of themes.)
“sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/clipit-startup.desktop” – this prevents the ClipIt application from automatically starting on boot
“sudo rm /etc/xdg/autostart/wicd-tray.desktop” – this prevents the Wicd network manager from automatically starting on boot
“sudo rm –rf /var/lib/menu-xdg” – this removes the huge list of application shortcuts in the “Other” menu
“sudo raspi-config nonint do_boot_behaviour_new B4” – this selects boot to desktop with autologin as the pi user
“sudo rm /usr/share/applications/obconf.desktop” – this hides the menu shortcut to the Openbox window manager, whose functionality has been replaced by the Appearance Settings preferences application.

Tidy main menu
============
There are a number of new Jessie applications which appear in the main menu which have not been tested by us; you may find some of them helpful, but we can’t guarantee that they will all work properly. If you want to keep them, feel free to do so, but if not, you can use the Main Menu Editor under Preferences in the main menu to hide them – launch it and then untick the following entries:
Internet/Deluge BitTorrent Client
Internet/Pi Store
Internet/Wicd Network Manager
Accessories/Character Map
Accessories/ClipIt
Accessories/Disks
Sound & Video/Alsamixergui
Sound & Video/Audio Mixer
Sound & Video/GNOME MPlayer
System Tools/Disk Management
Preferences/About Myself
Preferences/Network
Preferences/Password
Preferences/Services
Preferences/Time and Date
Preferences/Users and Groups

gkreidl

Re: How to upgrade a Wheezy image to Jessie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:12 am

What about the the files
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/collabora.list
and
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/wolfram.list
?
Both point to wheezy or "stable" repositories:
deb http://raspberrypi.collabora.com wheezy rpi
and
deb http://repository.wolfram.com/raspbian/ stable non-free

Should wheezy/stable be replaced by jessie in both files? Or should they be removed?

Edit: After checking the repositories I discovered. that these files can be safely removed (or disabled by uncommenting).
Last edited by gkreidl on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

NickT

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:31 am

As I have 3 RPis, I decided to follow the upgrade path rather than installing a bare image and updating each Pi manually. I'm not that interested in the desktop GUI stuff, as all 3 Pis will be used headless.

I notice that the upgrade goes quite quickly until it gets to the place where it starts getting jessie/main wolfram-engine armhf10.0.2... when it slows to a crawl and at the moment it is predicting it will take over 3 hours to complete this task.

I'd be grateful to receive any suggestions on how to speed up this part. It may be better for me to wait until the 'lite' .img comes out.

aoakley

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:00 am

NickT wrote:I notice that the upgrade goes quite quickly until it gets to the place where it starts getting jessie/main wolfram-engine
wolfram-engine was over 400MB last time I checked. It's going slow because that file is very big to download. There is no way to speed this up unless you can take your Pi to another building with faster broadband.

400 megabytes is 3200 megabits.
0.0336 megabits/sec bad rural phoneline, 1990s-style modem will take 26 hours
0.25 megabits/sec bad rural ADSL will take 3 hours 30 minutes
2Mb/sec basic ADSL: 26 mins
8MB/sec good ADSL: 6min 30s
35MB/sec basic FTTC: 1min 30s
70Mb/sec full FTTC: 45s

Personally I chose to remove Wolfram from my copies of Raspbian due to its size and it not being used (I *totally* get why it is included in an educational distro, though). You can remove it with:

sudo apt-get remove --purge wolfram-engine
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

NickT

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:10 am

As I have 50MB/sec FTTC, the bottleneck must be at the server end. I'll leave it running till mid-afternoon and if it's not progressed far, I'll wait for the lite img and carry on from there.

Edit and update:
After the 3rd attempt, I finally abandoned efforts to upgrade to jessie. It is an unworkable procedure. Following the instructions, it skoots along until it gets to about here

Code: Select all

Get:1154 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie/main wolfram-engine armhf 10.0.2+2015092101 [182 MB]
Get:1155 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie/main wolfram-engine armhf 10.0.2+2015092101 [182 MB]
67% [1155 wolfram-engine 69.9 MB/182 MB 38%]
when it just slows to a crawl. I don't know how long the 'test' was before it finished but it would have taken many times longer than a couple of hours.

gkreidl

Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:45 pm

As all my Pi2s are running the OS from a HDD I did not want to start with a fresh image but use the dist-upgrade method. Here's what I did for a successful upgrade of my first machine to Jesssie which took about 50 minutes (!) to complete.

I removed all software which doesn't come from any of the repositories. This includes:
kodi-15, libcec3, kodi-pvr-iptvsimple, eiskaltdcpp-qt with TLS-1.2 support, the patched VLC version etc.
I did not remove kweb (Minimal Kiosk Browser).

I removed all changes to /etc/inittab (for auto-login) and /etc/rc.local.
I reverted a few symbolic links which I had modified (to use gcc-4.8 and g++-4.8 instead of 4.6) to their original state.

Then I started the upgrade following the OP in this thread. I tried if first from a SSH-Terminal, but ran into problems. I had to stop it and start it directly on the Pi. This time it worked fine. I rebooted and got directly to the Desktop.
I followed the additional steps (most of them) in the OP. One didn't work:

cp –ax /usr/share/themes/PiX ~/.themes
You must use:

cp /usr/share/themes/PiX ~/.themes -ax
instead.

Afterwards I tried reinstalling some of the packages I had removed. Although compiled for Wheezy, all of them worked fine:
kodi-15.1, kodi-pvr-iptvsimple, eiskaltdcpp-qt with TLS-1.2 support

kweb works as before, kweb3 has some strange interface issues which I still have to study but seems to be working fine otherwise.

I installed VLC from the repository and war really disappointed that OpenMax and MMAL support are missing (no HW acceleration)!

Most things work as expected, but there are some things that are really different now. I'll report my findings in a new thread but that needs more studying first. And I will have to do the same for my other Pi2 tomorrow, which has a slightly different setup.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

NickT

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:16 pm

Then I started the upgrade following the OP in this thread. I tried if first from a SSH-Terminal, but ran into problems. I had to stop it and start it directly on the Pi. This time it worked fine. I rebooted and got directly to the Desktop.
Thank you for the tip regarding SSH. I was using SSH from Putty on my Windows PC. Unfortunately my router is fixed upstairs, the only visual output I can use on the Pi directly is via the composite video input on a CRT television which is downstairs and weighs about 45kg. What problem did you experience with connecting via SSH? Was it slowness like I reported?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:23 pm

NickT wrote:As I have 50MB/sec FTTC, the bottleneck must be at the server end. I'll leave it running till mid-afternoon and if it's not progressed far, I'll wait for the lite img and carry on from there.

Edit and update:
After the 3rd attempt, I finally abandoned efforts to upgrade to jessie. It is an unworkable procedure. Following the instructions, it skoots along until it gets to about here

Get:1154 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie/main wolfram-engine armhf 10.0.2+2015092101 [182 MB]
Get:1155 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie/main wolfram-engine armhf 10.0.2+2015092101 [182 MB]
67% [1155 wolfram-engine 69.9 MB/182 MB 38%]
when it just slows to a crawl. I don't know how long the 'test' was before it finished but it would have taken many times longer than a couple of hours.
If you don't use wolfram/mathematica just do

apt-get remove wolfram-engine

I've seen periodic reports of slow downloads of wolfram from the raspberry pi foundation repository but I've never been able to reproduce it on any of my internet connections. Out of interest what ISP were you using when you downloaded this?

NickT

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:30 pm

I've seen periodic reports of slow downloads of wolfram from the raspberry pi foundation repository but I've never been able to reproduce it on any of my internet connections. Out of interest what ISP were you using when you downloaded this?
My ISP is Virgin Media

I'll have a think about Wolfram as I don't use it and all it means to me is another name for Tungsten.

gkreidl

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:07 pm

NickT wrote:
Thank you for the tip regarding SSH. I was using SSH from Putty on my Windows PC. Unfortunately my router is fixed upstairs, the only visual output I can use on the Pi directly is via the composite video input on a CRT television which is downstairs and weighs about 45kg. What problem did you experience with connecting via SSH? Was it slowness like I reported?
No, there was a script asking for confirmation with some kind of interface (similar to raspi-config) and that wasn't working across SSH connection. I could not select the answer and so it was blocking the whole process.

NickT

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:21 pm

I know why it's so slow now, it's described in this thread:viewtopic.php?f=66&t=83491.

Problems with Wolfram have been like this for over a year. I don't know why the author of this thread posted a procedure to upgrade, when it must have been obvious that it wouldn't work.

spl23

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Do you really think I would have posted a procedure without testing that it works?

The procedure above *does* work; it has been tested here at Pi Towers. There may be short-term issues due to repos being overloaded and slow, but I wouldn't have posted a set of instructions that didn't work; that would have been a completely pointless exercise!

For reference, the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade took just over 2 hours to run on a clean Wheezy image, and was tested on two separate occasions with the same run time for each.

gkreidl

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:45 pm

spl23 wrote:Do you really think I would have posted a procedure without testing that it works?

The procedure above *does* work; it has been tested here at Pi Towers. There may be short-term issues due to repos being overloaded and slow, but I wouldn't have posted a set of instructions that didn't work; that would have been a completely pointless exercise!

For reference, the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade took just over 2 hours to run on a clean Wheezy image, and was tested on two separate occasions with the same run time for each.
I can confirm this. Mi dist-upgrade (OS on HDD) took about 50 minutes - and part of that time was spent waiting for me to return and confirm something. Download time for everything was about 5 minutes.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:17 pm

NickT wrote: Problems with Wolfram have been like this for over a year. I don't know why the author of this thread posted a procedure to upgrade, when it must have been obvious that it wouldn't work.
The problem is it's an intermittent problem. Some people sometimes experiance very slow downloads of wolfram from the raspberry pi foundation repo. For others it downloads just fine.

NickT

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:45 pm

I appreciate your efforts. I believe that you did test it and that it worked well at Pi Towers. Please believe me when I say that I have tried the procedure 3 times over 2 days and that it has stopped virtually dead each time on that wolfram stage. It might be an idea for the test procedure to be expanded to include testing from a site outside Pi Towers. The routing chain seems to make a difference.

bartgrefte

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:38 pm

spl23 wrote:Do you really think I would have posted a procedure without testing that it works?

But what about sources files like
gkreidl wrote:What about the the files
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/collabora.list
and
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/wolfram.list
?
Both point to wheezy or "stable" repositories:
deb http://raspberrypi.collabora.com wheezy rpi
and
deb http://repository.wolfram.com/raspbian/ stable non-free

Should wheezy/stable be replaced by jessie in both files? Or should they be removed?
You do not mention what to do with those. Any comments? ;)

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Collabora and wolfram repos are no longer required and can be removed.

ismael280373

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:01 am

Hi.

I've done the "dist-upgrade" and now I'm on a "system out of space" hell.

I think I will go from scratch...
GOD BLESS THE BLUES!!

NickMon68

Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:48 am

I followed the upgrade path and not the clean install as i'm all set up on HHD.

I notice that my apache2 webserver seems to not run right now.

Tried a remove and reinstall of apache2, but no page for example /var/www/index.html will come up in a browser…
checked service is running and it is.

Anyone else seen this ?

NickMon68

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:23 am

OK managed to fix the Apache2 issue with this :

You should edit the 000-default.conf file
To edit 000-default.conf you need to run following command

vi /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf

By default DocumentRoot shows below:
DocumentRoot /var/www/html

You need to change the DocumentRoot to:
DocumentRoot /var/www/

After this you must restart your Apache server by following command:
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

gkreidl

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:12 am

Yesterday I upgraded my second HDD system to Jessie. It's my oldest system (about 3 years) and has quite a lot of packages installed. So the upgrade took longer (95 minutes). Everything worked well with one exeption: No connection to my local network and the internet!

I've found the cause meanwhile and could fix it. So my recommendation is:

If you have network-manager installed and packages depending on it (like the network-manager-gnome applet), remove them before running dist-upgrade They don't work any more and it seems they prevent the wicd-packages from being installed.

bartgrefte

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:43 am

20min. ago I started the upgrade process on a Raspbian install that's been running for about 2 years on a Pi B (not +) and has since been cloned to a Pi 2. Installed applications: apache2, mysql, php5, phpmyadmin, vsftpd, git, python and that's about it I guess. I believe the rest was already present.

It only took a couple of min. to download a little over half a GB of files and since the start of upgrading I've had several prompts that halted the upgrade-process :roll: Something about OpenSSH server asking yes or no to disable password authentication for root and later it was about the restart of services without being asked for confirmation.

Now I'm keeping an eye on top through SSH to see if the upgrade-process gets paused again...

edit:
5. Type “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” to start the upgrade process – this will take a couple of hours. Whenever prompted to update a file during this process, choose the Y option to accept the new file; if you don't want to be bothered with these prompts, then call apt-get with the -y option - “sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade”.
For whatever reason, the -y isn't doing anything here, I've been asked several times to keep/replace files, that's gonna be a long upgrade process if it keeps getting paused...

edit2:

And it's done :) The total time of upgrading was a little over an hour, could've been a little shorter if the prompts stayed away. Did ran into a couple of things though:
gkreidl wrote:I followed the additional steps (most of them) in the OP. One didn't work:

cp –ax /usr/share/themes/PiX ~/.themes
You must use:

cp /usr/share/themes/PiX ~/.themes -ax
instead.
Same problem here, thanks for the other command :)

“sudo rm –rf /var/lib/menu-xdg” also doesn't work.
rm: cannot remove '-rf': no such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/var/lib/menu-xdg': is a directory
NickMon68 wrote:OK managed to fix the Apache2 issue with this :

You should edit the 000-default.conf file
To edit 000-default.conf you need to run following command

vi /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf

By default DocumentRoot shows below:
DocumentRoot /var/www/html

You need to change the DocumentRoot to:
DocumentRoot /var/www/

After this you must restart your Apache server by following command:
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
Same problem here, thanks for the solution :D

chewy74

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:20 am

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've updated all my sources.list and then run

sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
The packages lists gets updated, but when I run upgrade and dist-upgrade nothing happens, or shows for upgrade

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
So I'm not sure what else to do... Can I force the upgrade somehow?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

rpdom

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:50 am

chewy74 wrote:So I'm not sure what else to do... Can I force the upgrade somehow?
There is no "force". If your packages list is correct the upgrade will happen.
Could you show the output that you get when you run "sudo apt-get update"? You seem to have missed that out when you posted.

Also, show the output of "apt-cache policy" (sudo not required for apt-cache).

birefringence

Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:25 pm

If you are using nginx with php-fpm, you should be aware of this problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nginx/+bug/1366651

It took me quite a while until I figured out why my PHP scripts were not working anymore after the upgrade.

Return to “Raspbian”