KTWS

Release: Ubeify Desktop Media Player For Raspberry Pi

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Ubeify Media Player - http://www.ubeify.co.uk/
Latest Version: 2017.08.02 - August 2nd 2017

I'm pleased to anounce the release of Ubeify, a FREE desktop media player which uses OMXplayer on Raspberry Pi, or VLC on Linux & Windows for media playback. The software works with all versions of Raspberry Pi (Zero, 1, 2 & 3) running Raspbian or other Debian based operating systems like Ubuntu Mate.

Features
- Import & play your local audio and movies
- Online tracks streamed on-demand via Youtube
- Browse discographies & add your favourite tracks or albums to your collection
- Add your own Youtube, Spotify or Deezer playlists, browse chart feeds, online movie feeds
- You can install it on a USB drive and plug into any computer running Linux or Windows

Support
Please post comments, bugs, questions and queries about Ubeify in this thread and i'll get back to you as soon as I can :-)

Download
To download, for more information, screenshots and a video of Ubeify in action, please visit http://www.ubeify.co.uk/
Last edited by KTWS on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Ubeify Desktop Media Player For Raspberry Pi Zero, 1, 2 & 3
http://www.ubeify.co.uk/

gkreidl

Re: Release: Ubeify Desktop Media Player For Rpi 1 & 2

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:38 pm

You forgot to mention that you want to get money for it.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

KTWS

Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 pm

[Removed post with out of date information]
Last edited by KTWS on Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isaactzab

Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:17 pm

You must release the project. This project looks great! comunity projects always growup.

KTWS

Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Ubeify Update: 20150711

- Fixed non-functioning UK Top40 chart feed
- Fixed Raspbian Jessie install bug where Ubeify was not added to 'Menu > Sound and Vision'.
- Licence change: Ubeify is now free to use

To upgrade to this version from an existing installation, select 'Update Ubeify' from the top right options menu and restart the software. After upgrading, if you're missing the 'Menu > Sound and Vision' Ubeify icon on Raspbian Jessie, run the install script again, select no for un-install and yes for re-install. Don't worry, re-installing will not overwrite any playlists or bookmarks you've added to Ubeify.

Enjoy :)

KTWS

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:50 pm

Ubeify Update: 20151112

- Fixed broken uyt.py youtube video url parser script due to a youtube.com update
- Added redundancy: Ubeify now tries to fall back to the slower youtube-dl script, should uyt.py fail
- Revert back to YYYMMDD version numbering format. My bad!

To upgrade to this version from an existing installation, select 'Update Ubeify' from the top right options menu and restart the software.

Enjoy :D

ekg

Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:15 am

Excellent work! The installation was a breeze! Sure beats having to download a git repository and build it and then go off in a rage when the build is broken due to some obscure dependancy :lol:

Nice interface too very smooth works very well with HD content on my external hard-drives.

A few suggestions / comments:

- More often than not I use removable media with my pi for videos. I would like to not have to scan for items in the player. Would it be possible to have some sort of file browser? As well it would be nice potentially make playlists from supported file types while browsing without scanning.

- It would be nice to have some conventional keyboard shortcuts in the player. A big one would be using (ESC) to exit full screen mode. Others would include arrow keys for scrolling and space bar for play/pause.

- Very nice that it automatically forms file-type associations. However opening files in an explorer doesn't work all to well. Specifically when a video is already playing it doesn't close the playing video properly and start the new one.

KTWS

Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 am

Hi ekg, thanks for the kind comments and great suggestions!

I've added escape (exit fullscreen), left/right arrow keys (previous/next track) and space bar (pause) to the code and it works well. I need to do some more testing but I expect code these changes to be live on Monday.

You can already scroll tracks using the up and down arrow keys by highlighting a track (single click) first. You can't scroll the left hand side menu using arrow keys at the moment but it's on my to-do list.

My thoughts on the file explorer idea is to add this under the "My Collection" menu header. I'll need to have a good think about how to implement it but I think it can be done.

Opening a file from a desktop file manager while another video is playing won't close the previous instance of Ubeify and start the new video (which is what I think you mean, if not let me know). I'll see if I can get this working over the weekend :)

KTWS

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Ubeify Update: 2016.01.09

- Added user requested keyboard shorts: see the Ubeify website for more information
- Fixed fullscreen mode bug where, in certain situations, user controls would not re-appear on mouse move
- Fixed incorrectly formatted hide donate button dialogue box
- Removed non-functioning official UK top40 feed. I'm looking for a more stable replacement. If anyone knows of one please let me know

To upgrade to this version from an existing installation, select 'Update Ubeify' from the top right options menu and restart the software.

ekg

Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:55 pm

KTWS wrote:Hi ekg, thanks for the kind comments and great suggestions!

I've added escape (exit fullscreen), left/right arrow keys (previous/next track) and space bar (pause) to the code and it works well. I need to do some more testing but I expect code these changes to be live on Monday.

You can already scroll tracks using the up and down arrow keys by highlighting a track (single click) first. You can't scroll the left hand side menu using arrow keys at the moment but it's on my to-do list.

My thoughts on the file explorer idea is to add this under the "My Collection" menu header. I'll need to have a good think about how to implement it but I think it can be done.

Opening a file from a desktop file manager while another video is playing won't close the previous instance of Ubeify and start the new video (which is what I think you mean, if not let me know). I'll see if I can get this working over the weekend :)
Thanks for the quick turnaround on the shortcuts! They need to be fleshed out a bit. When playing HD (720p) content (mkv) off an external drive the shortcuts don't seem to work properly. For example space causes a small black overlay to show up.

You are right about the explorer issue I descripe. The issue is that a new instance of ubefiy is opened. This doesn't seem like an easy thing to work on. I think a related useful thing would be a taskbar item for each instance of ubeify.

Another thing that is an issue is that sometimes when playing movies off a drive the player hangs. This is probably some buffer issue likely a hardware limitation. However when ubeify resumes it starts from the beginning. Also a difficult one to fix but would be nice to have it handle this a bit more gracefully
Last edited by ekg on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghetino

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:29 pm

How to install this player ?

i downloaded files for my raspberry Pi2, but how to install ?

Thank

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:54 pm

ghetino wrote:How to install this player ?

i downloaded files for my raspberry Pi2, but how to install ?

Thank
Did you not read the website :?: :?:

http://www.ubeify.co.uk
Adieu

KTWS

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for the quick turnaround on the shortcuts! They need to be fleshed out a bit. When playing HD (720p) content (mkv) off an external drive the shortcuts don't seem to work properly. For example space causes a small black overlay to show up.
When you hit space, Ubeify sends a command to Omxplayer, via d-bus, to pause the video so it sounds like it may be a problem with Omxplayer rather than Ubeify. Can you download and install the latest version of Omxplayer from here and see if that helps? It may be a problem with that particular file type (i've been unable to replicate your problem myself).

Also the shortcuts will not work if you're in windowed mode or have gone fullscreen from windowed mode. It's a side effect of having the windowed player "always on top" and is something i've not yet found a workaround for.

There is an undocumented shortcut <alt> to switch the player to hide video mode. I'll add it to the website shortly.
You are right about the explorer issue I descripe. The issue is that a new instance of ubefiy is opened. This doesn't seem like an easy thing to work on. I think a related useful thing would be a taskbar item for each instance of ubeify.
It's not possible to have a taskbar item for Ubeify as it stands i'm afraid. The video control layer is started as the topmost x desktop item (which cannot be changed once started) and when you "minimize it" the window is simply moved off-screen. As it's moved off-screen only, and never truly minimised, there is no taskbar item for it.

This sounds like an odd design choice, but if you map omxplayer (which is a separate layer) to a proper x window, with minimize, maximize and close controls, you can't reliably detect whether the window is the topmost desktop item or not. If you can't detect this, then you can't send d-bus commands to omxplayer to hide/show the video layer when appropriate.

For example: if your video window was above a browser window and you gave the browser window focus, the video window would disappear under the browser window but the video layer would still be visible above the browser because the software can't detect that the video window has lost focus. Not ideal.
Another thing that is an issue is that sometimes when playing movies off a drive the player hangs. This is probably some buffer issue likely a hardware limitation. However when ubeify resumes it starts from the beginning. Also a difficult one to fix but would be nice to have it handle this a bit more gracefully
It's the way I designed it. If omxplayer hangs, Ubeify starts the next video in the queue. If you only have one video in the queue, it'll start that video again from the start. You're right though, it makes more sense to restart the video from the stalled point, i'll look into it :)

ekg

Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:13 pm

KTWS wrote: Also the shortcuts will not work if you're in windowed mode or have gone fullscreen from windowed mode. It's a side effect of having the windowed player "always on top" and is something i've not yet found a workaround for.
Thanks! That explains it on my end. The player starts in windowed mode when I open a file in the file manager. I think it uses the last configuration and I think that's good. I watch fullscreen from windowed mode by double clicking the video and to exit I double click again. The ESC command works to exit fullscreen mode to windowed mode when there is no video.

KTWS

Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:19 pm

ekg, while updating info on the website, I noticed that one of the mouse controls was missed out from the documentation which may be useful for you:

While hovering your mouse pointer over the black section of the video window (logo in the middle of it on startup), double click mouse scrollwheel to exit Ubeify.

Rascas

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:38 am

If the Raspberry Pi hostname is different from "raspberrypi" Ubeify installation fails. I think it autodetects as generic Linux and not the Pi.

If I change the hostname to "raspberrypi", installation works and Ubeify runs fine, but if I change the hostname back to anything else, it exits with the following output:

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ ubeify
(u'AGE', 1021.4374160766602)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/ubeify/src/ubeify.py", line 4891, in <module>
    app = ubeify(master)
  File "/home/pi/ubeify/src/ubeify.py", line 287, in __init__
    self.loadVLC()
  File "/home/pi/ubeify/src/ubeify.py", line 402, in loadVLC
    self.VLCinstance = vlc.Instance("--no-osd","--drop-late-frames","--skip-frames", "--quiet")
  File "/home/pi/ubeify/src/_ubeify_lib/vlc.py", line 1384, in __new__
    return libvlc_new(len(args), args)
  File "/home/pi/ubeify/src/_ubeify_lib/vlc.py", line 3380, in libvlc_new
    ctypes.c_void_p, ctypes.c_int, ListPOINTER(ctypes.c_char_p))
  File "/home/pi/ubeify/src/_ubeify_lib/vlc.py", line 230, in _Cfunction
    raise NameError('no function %r' % (name,))
NameError: no function 'libvlc_new'
[email protected] ~ $ 
The problem seems to be same. Hope you can fix this.

Thanks for your work.

KTWS

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:38 pm

Yes you're right, bad coding on my part! It'll default to generic Linux if the hostname is changed and try to use VLC instead of OMXplayer.

/proc/cpuinfo contains the hardware chip name, i'll change the code to query that instead:

BCM2709 is Raspbery Pi 2
BCM2708 is Raspbery Pi 1

Can someone confirm that the Raspberry Pi Zero chip name in /proc/cpuinfo is the same as Raspberry Pi 1 (BCM2708)? I'm assuming it is, but I don't have a Zero so can't double check this myself. Thanks!

rpdom

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 pm

KTWS wrote:Yes you're right, bad coding on my part! It'll default to generic Linux if the hostname is changed and try to use VLC instead of OMXplayer.

/proc/cpuinfo contains the hardware chip name, i'll change the code to query that instead:

BCM2709 is Raspbery Pi 2
BCM2708 is Raspbery Pi 1

Can someone confirm that the Raspberry Pi Zero chip name in /proc/cpuinfo is the same as Raspberry Pi 1 (BCM2708)? I'm assuming it is, but I don't have a Zero so can't double check this myself. Thanks!
I don't have a zero, but the Zero uses the same chip as the Pi 1, and I'm sure I've seen people confirm that it reports as BCM2708

Rascas

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:23 pm

KTWS wrote:Yes you're right, bad coding on my part! It'll default to generic Linux if the hostname is changed and try to use VLC instead of OMXplayer.

BCM2709 is Raspbery Pi 2
BCM2708 is Raspbery Pi 1

Yes, I can confirm that Raspberry Pi Zero reports BCM2708 in /proc/cpuinfo.

KTWS

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks guys! Will make the code changes tonight and post here when it's released :-)

KTWS

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:36 pm

Ubeify Update: 2016.02.04

- Better detection of Raspberry Pi: query /proc/cpuinfo for chip name instead of relying on user changable hostname

KTWS

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:34 pm

Ubeify Update: 2016.02.10

This update mostly focuses on a better user experience when opening media files from a desktop file manager (PCManFM in Raspbian, File Explorer on Windows) or command line. Most of these changes are a direct result of user feedback, so if you have any suggestions or bug reports please do post them in this thread!

- Raspberry Pi: If OMXplayer stalls, Ubeify attempts to resume the media file at the time-stamp the stall ocurred
- Raspberry Pi: Allow only one instance of Ubeify to be opened at a time. Multiple instances of Ubeify are not supported on Raspberry Pi.
- Raspberry Pi: If an instance of Ubeify is already playing a file and a user tries to open another media file, via a desktop file manager, open that file in the current instance of Ubeify
- Fixed bug where opening a music file from desktop file manager would not display artwork
- Fixed bug where windowed mode player size would not be saved. Windowed mode size and screen position are now both correctly remembered for the next time you open Ubeify.

To upgrade to this version from an existing installation, select 'Update Ubeify' from the top right options menu and restart the software. Enjoy :D

Rascas

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:37 pm

Just to say that your previous hostname fix for Raspberry Pi is working.

Thanks for your work.

KTWS

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:02 am

Ubeify Update: 2016.02.24

- Change to new Deezer playlist feed format. Fixes blank Deezer playlists being shown in Ubeify.

Andaluz

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:56 pm

I just installed Ubeify at my new Rpi 3. Everything great but there is NO sound : ( I can hear sound through webbrowser or any other player like vlc.

Is there any configuration file to change any audio setup? Does any one know how to fix it?

Return to “Media centres”