Ace Rimmer

rpi -update

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:16 am

How can I do an "rpi -update" if I'm unable to connect my A+ Pi to the internet?
I have #755 dated Feb'15 installed which I purchased on an SD card, but some things don't seem to work :(
(e.g. annotate_text_size ) in another thread the advice was to do "rpi -update".
There must be an easier way!!!!!
I hope there is.....I haven't found it yet.

metalj

Re: rpi -update

Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:38 am

To do an update means to go on the net and make sure everything is available to download from the net. I don't think you're trying to download anything because obviously you would need the internet. Mabey you need an upgrade? To get an upgrade connect to the internet and type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade into the command line a press enter. Could you describe what you're trying to accomplish?
Backspace 28 times :)

Ace Rimmer

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:28 am

metalj wrote:To do an update means to go on the net and make sure everything is available to download from the net. I don't think you're trying to download anything because obviously you would need the internet. Mabey you need an upgrade? To get an upgrade connect to the internet and type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade into the command line a press enter. Could you describe what you're trying to accomplish?
I would like to be able to upgrade/update call it what you will, but it is physically impossible to connect my Pi directly to the internet.
In a nutshell I am trying to use "annotate_text_size" in a video recording program (using picamera & python). This doesn't work for some reason & on another thread elsewhere on this forum it was suggested to do an update/upgrade to fix the same problem.
So back to my original questin "How can I do an "rpi -update" if I'm unable to connect my A+ Pi to the internet?"

rpdom

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:05 am

If you have another Pi that is connected to the internet, take the card from the A+ and upgrade it in that.

Otherwise there are ways to upgrade without a network connection, but they are tricky - especially if you have no network access at all and presumably your USB port is being used for a keyboard.

Ace Rimmer

Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks for your patience rpdom, I was afraid the solution would be as you described. I think I'll put this part of my project on the back burner for now & concentrate on getting the sensors working.

Return to “Beginners”