gandalf

Wanted: Cheap HDMI Monitor (solved)

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:25 am

If anybody has a cheap HDMI monitor that he/she would be willing to sell for less than $40 please notify me. It should be at least 9" diagonal length. As long as it still works I don't care how used it is.

AndyD

Re: Wanted: Cheap HDMI Monitor

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:32 am

Hi Gandalf, it might be a good idea to let people know where you are in the world. You probably need to be reasonably specific, as postage could quickly eat into your $40 budget.

rpdom

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:54 am

You can often pick up old monitors with a DVI-D input (as well as the normal VGA) for very little (or even free, like both the ones I have). Then you just need a cheap (£1) HDMI to DVI cable. It won't do sound, but the picture will be perfect.

PiGraham

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:17 am

rpdom wrote:You can often pick up old monitors with a DVI-D input (as well as the normal VGA) for very little (or even free, like both the ones I have). Then you just need a cheap (£1) HDMI to DVI cable. It won't do sound, but the picture will be perfect.
I was going to suggest that. Note that you can get sound from the 3.5mm A/V jack on the Pi. VGA monitors are also an option with a cheap HDMI - VGA converter.

gandalf

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:52 pm

AndyD wrote:Hi Gandalf, it might be a good idea to let people know where you are in the world. You probably need to be reasonably specific, as postage could quickly eat into your $40 budget.
Good point. Sorry for that. I am in the U.S.A. Thanks for pointing that out @AndyD

gandalf

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:58 pm

PiGraham wrote:I was going to suggest that. Note that you can get sound from the 3.5mm A/V jack on the Pi. VGA monitors are also an option with a cheap HDMI - VGA converter.
Could you give me a link to an example one that you know would work? I know that a lot of them don't work for some reason which is what initially "scarred" me off. :(

Also, are the graphics basically as fast for DVI and VGA as they are for HDMI? I haven't tried any screens yet on my pi(use SSH and VNC) except for a GPIO touchscreen that is very slow and sometimes will not load certain graphical programs. I know HDMI is digital vs analog for VGA. I just don't want to shell out $40 bucks for something that's going to be annoying to use. ;)

kusti8

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Its best to get a DVI monitor. Those are digital, the only main difference being that it doesn't carry sound. Then any cheap cable will work.

But with the introduction of the B+ most VGA adapters, as long as they are not cables, will work.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

gandalf

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:11 pm

rpdom wrote:You can often pick up old monitors with a DVI-D input (as well as the normal VGA) for very little (or even free, like both the ones I have). Then you just need a cheap (£1) HDMI to DVI cable. It won't do sound, but the picture will be perfect.
Thanks so much!! That was very helpful! I never thought of that! I found one for $34 on ebay with a power cord!:):D:) Thanks so much! IDK how to put the solved flag on this question but you answered it!

rpdom

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:23 am

gandalf wrote:
Thanks so much!! That was very helpful! I never thought of that! I found one for $34 on ebay with a power cord!:):D:) Thanks so much! IDK how to put the solved flag on this question but you answered it!
You edit your original post (the one at the top of the thread) and change the title to include "SOLVED" :)

DVI-D carries exactly the same video signals as HDMI, just with a different connector. It can't handle the higher resolutions, but neither can the monitors, so you don't need to worry about that. The quality is better than VGA.

gandalf

Re: Wanted: Cheap HDMI Monitor (solved)

Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:41 pm

Duh! Thanks! Thats funny... I always thought of DVI as old technology...older than VGA and turned down my nose on it. Great news. Thanks all!!!:D

Return to “Wanted”