girish_kumar

Web Browser for Windows 10

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Folks,

Does anyone know about any Web Browser that can run on Win10 on RPi ?

I just had a look at the project Spartan, but did not find anything specific to RPi ?

Has anyone tried any other Browser on RPi ? If so can you share me the details

If a browser is not available how do we download and install apps on Win10 on RPi ?/

Regards
Girish

kusti8

Re: Web Browser for Windows 10

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:07 pm

Windows 10 is for developers, and is not a full OS. There is no GUI and the only way to connect to it is via PowwrShell. Use Raspbian.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:22 pm

girish_kumar wrote:Folks,

Does anyone know about any Web Browser that can run on Win10 on RPi ?

I just had a look at the project Spartan, but did not find anything specific to RPi ?

Has anyone tried any other Browser on RPi ? If so can you share me the details

If a browser is not available how do we download and install apps on Win10 on RPi ?/

Regards
Girish
There is no Windows 10 Desktop Edition for the Raspbery Pi, this forum is for the Windows 10 IoT Core Version, hence why under Programming, see:

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/iot
Retired disgracefully.....

Joe Schmoe

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:26 pm

There is no Windows 10 Desktop Edition for the Raspbery Pi,
IOW, this "Windows 10 IoT" is WINO.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

GerritV

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Windows 10 IoT is intended for embedded systems and thus does not have a full web browser. That may or may not change as Win IoT gets closer to release later this year.

You can though write apps that feed or consume http. See Samples at http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/w ... Coding.htm

Contrary to kusti8's incorrect comments:
There is a GUI, it is intended for use by one running app (it owns the screen in that case). You can run other apps in background (aka headless)
There is a web app listening at http://<ip address>/ that lets you upload and otherwise manage apps. You can also load apps using Visual Studio 2015RC (on Windows 10 or7 or 8/8.1)
You can connect using Powershell, SSH or FTP. FTP doesn't support TLS etc. The web, SSH, FTP and Powershell access all require the admin userid and password.

FYI: Your question has also been answered in various other threads here and at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... WindowsIoT

@Kusti8: you don't need a GUI to rate as a full OS.

Gerrit

Joe Schmoe

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:34 pm

Correct.

CP/M was a "full OS".
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

kusti8

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:01 pm

GerritV,

OK, let me rephrase that. Windows 10 IoT is not an OS for beginners where they expect a GUI. I run my Pis headless as well, SSHing in as well. The OP posed the question as if he was expecting Windows 10 Desktop, which it is not. I wasn't aware that an app on Win10 can display things on the screen other than the IP.

So what I meant was that Windows 10 is not an OS meant for beginners.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

jtanner_msft

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:11 pm

There is a simple ‘Universal App’ web browser sample, but unfortunately it doesn’t work on Windows 10 IoT Core yet. But it might eventually work, in which case then you could have some form of a web browser running there. It won’t be ‘Edge’ or IE11 though.
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

girish_kumar

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Folks,

Thanks a lot for all your responses, on my question on Web Browser I appreciate your quick responses.

I started with computers during the days of MS DOS. Those days, my computer had only 640 KB to RAM and one floppy Drive which can take 360 KB as storage. Still, I enjoyed MS APIs and writing apps which takes the control of the whole screen.

To me RPi with 1GB of RAM and 32GB SD card is a BIG Luxury, I was excited to see Windows on it. I want to build a cool smart TV app based on Windows 10, for my kids to play with, that is my idea. So to start with, I thought of using the default web browser, but now I understand it is targeted towards IoT only and I need to write apps which take take control of screen and rest of will be headless, this really sounds interesting :) a different challenge from RPi Linux.

One again thanks .to all your responses.

Regards
Girish

mascondante

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:35 am

Is it possible to launch an app from PowerShell? If so perhaps it isn't entirely impossible to homebrew something.

jark

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:45 am

girish_kumar wrote:Folks,

Thanks a lot for all your responses, on my question on Web Browser I appreciate your quick responses.

I started with computers during the days of MS DOS. Those days, my computer had only 640 KB to RAM and one floppy Drive which can take 360 KB as storage. Still, I enjoyed MS APIs and writing apps which takes the control of the whole screen.

To me RPi with 1GB of RAM and 32GB SD card is a BIG Luxury, I was excited to see Windows on it. I want to build a cool smart TV app based on Windows 10, for my kids to play with, that is my idea. So to start with, I thought of using the default web browser, but now I understand it is targeted towards IoT only and I need to write apps which take take control of screen and rest of will be headless, this really sounds interesting :) a different challenge from RPi Linux.

One again thanks .to all your responses.

Regards
Girish
Just be aware that at the moment you will get bad performance when doing fancy graphics things since the GPU is not working yet for Windows IOT on the Raspberry PI 2.

Nevertheless I would expect MS to get this working soon, so enjoy your coding :)

StuartJames

Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:32 pm

The latest WIndows 10 IOT Core will happily allow you to place a WebBrowser control onto a UI page of your application. You can set properties to show any web browser controls to allow users to enter a url, go back, forward, reload, etc.

UndergroundFun

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:50 pm

StuartJames wrote:The latest WIndows 10 IOT Core will happily allow you to place a WebBrowser control onto a UI page of your application. You can set properties to show any web browser controls to allow users to enter a url, go back, forward, reload, etc.
I did just this, put a WebView control on a universal app with a text box and a couple of buttons for entering a URL and very basic navigation.

It works, certainly. But like others mentioned, the performance at the moment for general web browsing is less than pleasing.

It does work pretty well with fairly lightweight web apps though. Hopefully they'll get the driver up and going before long.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”