Loom

Re: DietPi | Minimal Raspbian. Optional "ready to run" softw

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 am

Hi,

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 with this nice distribution to run a SqueezeBox Server.

However, after installing, the server runs, the web-interface on port 9000 is not accesible.
After several installs and removes, it worked for one time, but after a reboot it was dead again.
And stays dead after all following reboots.

HTOP is showing one core 100% busy, but that's the only sign I got that the server is actually running.

I don't experience this problem with the official Raspbian Wheezy, so it might be because of some special sauce in DietPi. Also, with the official Raspbian, the server is behaving nicely in HTOP.

Any hints? I really don't want to use the quite bloated Raspbian just for a server, and I like the slickness of DietPi very much..

In case someone want's to try the server, here's the download for the debian package:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... 95_all.deb

Thanks!

fourdee4d

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:57 am

Loom wrote:However, after installing, the server runs, the web-interface on port 9000 is not accesible.
After several installs and removes, it worked for one time, but after a reboot it was dead again.
And stays dead after all following reboots.
Hi Loom,

Thanks for the report, sounds like a startup order issue. Did you install a webserver stack from DietPi-Software (LAMP LASP), or, did you manually apt-get install apache2?
If you manually installed Apache2 with apt-get, please run the following:

Code: Select all

service apache2 disable
reboot
DietPi will then take over the apache2 service.

Regardless of the above, please can you update your version of dietpi:

dietpi-update
reboot
Then send me a bug report (Follow the onscreen instructions and please post your reference CODE):

dietpi-bugreport
Loom wrote:HTOP is showing one core 100% busy, but that's the only sign I got that the server is actually running.
Are you able to see which process is causing this? If not, please take a screenshot if you can.

Regards,
Dan
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone
DietPi's web hosting is powered by MyVirtualServer.com

keiser1080

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi,

it's possible to switch from dropbear ssh to sshd after the install ?

fourdee4d

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 pm

keiser1080 wrote:it's possible to switch from dropbear ssh to sshd after the install ?
At any time, simply run dietpi-software and select "SSH server" from the menu.
DietPi.com - Lightweight justice for your Raspberry Pi. Optimized, simplified linux for everyone

Loom

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:52 pm

Thanks for the report, sounds like a startup order issue. Did you install a webserver stack from DietPi-Software (LAMP LASP), or, did you manually apt-get install apache2?
No webserver is installed, as SqueezeBox-Server comes with it's own SQLite.
Regardless of the above, please can you update your version of dietpi:

dietpi-update
reboot
Then send me a bug report (Follow the onscreen instructions and please post your reference CODE):

dietpi-bugreport
I did update to v87 after a fresh install. Server started nicely, no unusual 100% tasks, but after a reboot, Squeezeboxserver is jumping from core to core with 100%, and the web-interface is not accesible anymore. I sent another bug report.

Maybe you can install for yourself and take a look what's going on?
Loom wrote:HTOP is showing one core 100% busy, but that's the only sign I got that the server is actually running.
Are you able to see which process is causing this? If not, please take a screenshot if you can.
The process which takes 100% is Squeezeboxserver itself. I attached a screenshot.
squeezeboxserver.png
squeezeboxserver.png (54.66 KiB) Viewed 6024 times
Thanks for looking into it.

fourdee4d

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Loom wrote:Maybe you can install for yourself and take a look what's going on?
I'am getting the same issues at my end.
It appears the service starts but the program keeps failing, hence the 100% cpu usage, then sleep 5 before it tries again. Basically an endless loop without any error messages or logs to work from.

I've tried a few things, but still unsuccessful. I'll look into this further and see if i can find the resolution. I'll be in touch if i have any news.

Loom

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:55 pm

fourdee4d wrote:
Loom wrote:Maybe you can install for yourself and take a look what's going on?
I'am getting the same issues at my end.
It appears the service starts but the program keeps failing, hence the 100% cpu usage, then sleep 5 before it tries again. Basically an endless loop without any error messages or logs to work from.

I've tried a few things, but still unsuccessful. I'll look into this further and see if i can find the resolution. I'll be in touch if i have any news.
Good to hear it's not only on my end. And it's definately something Diet-specific. I crosschecked with official Raspian Wheezy and unofficial Jessie and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks for looking into it!

muda

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:31 pm

fourdee4d wrote:
muda wrote:I followed this link to install console: http://www.howtogeek.com/142044/how-to- ... d=noscript
Hi Muda,

You dont need to follow that guide for the install part of Deluge. DietPi-Software does all for you when you select Deluge. If you want the console aswell, you will need to manually install it.

I did a fresh install today on RPi:
- dietpi-software, selected deluge and installed.
- apt-get install deluge-console
- Then, I followed the setup guide http://fuzon.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... art=10#p61

To setup the deluge for remote access (other than the web interface):
- Edit /root/.config/deluge/core.conf
- Set "allow_remote": true,

/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-services restart
Both the web interface, and the console run fine after multiple reboots. I cannot replicate your issue.

Please try a fresh DietPi image (write it to SD) and follow my steps above.
I am missing part regarding user+password for console connection. Admin+raspberry is not working for me.

fourdee4d

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:26 pm

muda wrote:I am missing part regarding user+password for console connection. Admin+raspberry is not working for me.

echo -e "admin:raspberry:10" >> ~/.config/deluge/auth
/DietPi/dietpi/dietpi-services restart
If you install Deluge from DietPi-Software, using v87, its all done for you: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/blob/ ... LOG.txt#L6

AfouToPatisa

Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:58 pm

`
Last edited by AfouToPatisa on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fourdee4d

Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:47 pm

New DietPi website launched!

http://dietpi.net

Loom

Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:45 pm

Getting back to my problem with Squeezeboxserver / Logitechmediaserver:

After digging a little deeper, I found out that the very first clean install works flawlessly. Until a reboot - afer that I cannot get it to work, no matter what.

When starting the server manually with:

squeezeboxserver --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --logdir /var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --cachedir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache --server --user squeezeboxserver
It spits out the error: Can't call method "log" on an undefined value at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/Log/Log4perl/Appender.pm line 189

But when started as root with:

squeezeboxserver --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --logdir /var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --cachedir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache --server --user root
it works. But that's surely not the correct behaviour.

I also crosschecked with a Raspberry Pi 1 and got the same problem. Every other Raspbian distribution works, just not DietPi.

Nice new website by the way!

fourdee4d

Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:06 pm

Loom wrote:Getting back to my problem with Squeezeboxserver / Logitechmediaserver:

After digging a little deeper, I found out that the very first clean install works flawlessly. Until a reboot - afer that I cannot get it to work, no matter what.

When starting the server manually with:

squeezeboxserver --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --logdir /var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --cachedir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache --server --user squeezeboxserver
It spits out the error: Can't call method "log" on an undefined value at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/Log/Log4perl/Appender.pm line 189

But when started as root with:

squeezeboxserver --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --logdir /var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --cachedir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache --server --user root
it works. But that's surely not the correct behaviour.
Hi Loom,

Apologies, I've not forgot about the issue with squeezebox, i've just been out of time lately.

Thanks for testing and posting your findings. It definitely sounds permission related. Sudo isnt installed on DietPi systems, so it could be that. I'll try and take a look over the next few days and get back to you.
Nice new website by the way!
Great to hear, it was a much needed upgrade from the original, still lots to do.

Kind Regards,
Dan

Loom

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:07 am

@Dan:

Just out of curiousity: which Rasbian-Base did you use for DietPi? Standard Raspbian, then stripped it down? Or rather the Netinstall?

Btw, I posted the problem with Squeezeboxserver on the Slimdevices forum aswell, here's the link:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ibution%29

Really looks like an ownership problem. Or maybe your special ramlog option. But I disabled that aswell, and it still didn't work.
Last edited by Loom on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Loom

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:13 am

Oh, and maybe you would like to include an option to turn of the PWR and ACT LED's on the Raspi 2 completely ? Since the red power LED is rather bright, this would be a really useful addition:

http://www.midwesternmac.com/blogs/jeff ... wr-and-act

Another thing: There seems to be a problem mounting a USB HDD on the Raspi 2 via FSTAB. The HDD isn't yet ready when mounting starts, but it works when mounting manually. This is Raspi 2 specific, and the solution is to add a "rootdelay=5" to the end of "cmdline.txt". The problem is described here:

viewtopic.php?t=99491

fourdee4d

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:04 pm

Hi Loom,
Loom wrote:@Dan:

Just out of curiousity: which Rasbian-Base did you use for DietPi? Standard Raspbian, then stripped it down? Or rather the Netinstall?
Stripped down version of the official Raspbian image.
Loom wrote: Btw, I posted the problem with Squeezeboxserver on the Slimdevices forum aswell, here's the link:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... ibution%29

Really looks like an ownership problem. Or maybe your special ramlog option. But I disabled that aswell, and it still didn't work.
I've been working on this today and i've found the cause. You can see my results here: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/65

In short, its a permissions issue with a logfile that sits outside the /squeezeboxserver folder.
If you want to run LMS as the squeezeboxserver user, you'll need to do the following:

chown -R squeezeboxserver:nogroup /var/log/squeezeboxserver
chown squeezeboxserver:nogroup /var/log/server.log
service logitechmediaserver restart
Just bear in mind you will manually need to set your permissions for your data directories.

I will create a DietPi-Software installation option for Squeezebox (LMS). This will be available in the next release.

Loom

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi Dan,

I admire your structured approach of bug-hunting ;)

Is there a reason you choose an old 7.8 version of Squeezeboxserver? It contains bugs, and it's not advised to be installed.

#check source is online
			INSTALL_URL_ADDRESS='http://downloads.slimdevices.com/LogitechMediaServer_v7.8.0/logitechmediaserver_7.8.0_all.deb'
			/DietPi/dietpi/func/check_connection 5 2 "$INSTALL_URL_ADDRESS"
The 7.9 nightlies are under active development and bring many, many improvements. They are considered very stable.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... hp?ver=7.9

For some code that automatically installs the latest version:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/DebianPackage

It does the following:

latest_lms=$(lms=$(lms=$(wget -q -O - "http://www.mysqueezebox.com/update/?version=7.9.0&revision=1&geturl=1&os=deb"))
mkdir -p /sources
cd /sources
wget $latest_lms
lms_deb=$(echo $latest_lms|cut -d "/" -f8)
dpkg -i $lms_deb
ls /sources/logi* -1t | tail -3| xargs -d '\n' rm -f
On my system there is no "/var/log/server.log" - it's in "/var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log" where it's supposed to be.
And it doesn't matter if I use 7.8 or 7.9. I never saw the 'server.log' outside of /squeezeboxserver.

After stopping the service, I did a:

chown -R squeezeboxserver:nogroup /var/lib/squeezeboxserver
chown -R squeezeboxserver:nogroup /var/log/squeezeboxserver
But the server still didn't start.I triple checked all ownerships, and all were set correctly to 'Squeezeboxserver:nogroup'.

And what about this 'error.log' you specified? It's the same as 'server.log'. Why did you choose another name?

I'm stil puzzled why the standard Raspian and the net-install of Wheezy and Jessie run Squeezeboxserver without any problems. Maybe it's not a glitch in the server, but in DietPi? Maybe something with the ramlog ? Today I installed a clean Raspbian, then a netinstall of Wheezy and a netinstall of Jessie. There were no problems at all.

The server itself is not supposed to run as 'root'. I used to run it for years on my old SheevaPlug, and never had any problems. Also accessing the media folders from the web-interface worked well without root.

Strangely, if you just let the Raspberry run for some hours, then start the server again with 'service squeezeboxserver start' it did start without problems. But aftera reboot, no chown / chmod whatsoever seem to bring it back to life. It all ends with the "Can't call method "log" on an undefined value at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/Log/Log4perl/Appender.pm line 189."

Also, when starting the server manually with

squeezeboxserver --daemon --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs --logfile /var/log/squeezeboxserver/error.log --logdir /var/log/squeezeboxserver/ --cachedir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache --user root
then there is no 'safe-script' running in the background, which restarts the server when SQL suddenly dies.

Ah, by the way, I just noticed that Wheezy 7.9 is out, but an 'apt-get update' follwed by 'apt-get upgrade' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade' still leaves you with 7.8.Any idea, why that might be?

And thanks a lot for digging that deep, really appreciated! And also thanks for including Squeezeboxserver in the menu. Did you notice my last post with the USB-HDD mounting problem and the LED stuff?
Last edited by Loom on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fourdee4d

Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Loom wrote:Is there a reason you choose an old 7.8 version of Squeezeboxserver?
Consistency and stability. The nightly build may be great today, but if a user installs tomorrow, who knows what state the software will be in :)
Loom wrote:And what about this 'error.log' you specified? It's the same as 'server.log'. Why did you choose another name?
--logfile => Specify a file for error logging. Specify 'syslog' to log to syslog.

GNU nano 2.2.6                      File: /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver

sub showUsage {
        print <<EOF;
Usage: $0 [--diag] [--daemon] [--stdio]
          [--logdir <logpath>]
          [--logfile <logfilepath|syslog>]

--logfile        => Specify a file for error logging.  Specify 'syslog' to log to syslog.
Loom wrote:I'm stil puzzled why the standard Raspian and the net-install of Wheezy and Jessie run Squeezeboxserver without any problems. Maybe it's not a glitch in the server, but in DietPi? Maybe something with the ramlog ? Today I installed a clean Raspbian, then a netinstall of Wheezy and a netinstall of Jessie. There were no problems at all.
DietPi does run Squeezeboxserver 7.8. Which is included in the v89 update of dietpi-software.
Loom wrote:then there is no 'safe-script' running in the background, which restarts the server when SQL suddenly dies.
If Squeezeboxserver is causing its SQL database (assuming SQLite) to "die", surely thats a bug that needs to be resolved in Squeezebox.
Loom wrote:Ah, by the way, I just noticed that Wheezy 7.9 is out, but an 'apt-get update' follwed by 'apt-get upgrade' or 'apt-get dist-upgrade' still leaves you with 7.8.Any idea, why that might be?
You'll need to ask the owners of the Raspbian repo. Which DietPi uses.
Loom wrote:Did you notice my last post with the USB-HDD mounting problem and the LED stuff?
Yes thanks for posting. I'll take a look at it when I can.
Last edited by fourdee4d on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fourdee4d

Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:30 pm

v89 Released!

- DietPi-Backup (Backup or restore your DietPi system)
http://fuzon.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... rt=40#p255

- DietPi-Sync (Allows you to sync/duplicate one directory to another).
http://fuzon.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... rt=40#p256

Loom

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:00 pm

Please take a look here:

"in 7.8.0 There are some bugs that only sorted in 7.8.1. Please dont install 7.8.0"
Therere were no new features in 7.9 since April, and according to the programmers, it's only polishing anymore.

And I got your point. But I'm still curious why all other Rasbian dists don't need a special treatment to get the server going.

About the SQL thing:

/etc/init.d/logitechmediaserver:

# Use squeezeboxserver_safe to restart the daemon when
# it dies. This must be done to handle mysql restarts.
And by starting the server via DietPi service, you unfortunately loose the ability to start/stop/restart the service.

Ah, and I noticed this line when starting the server:

[15-09-09 21:46:59.6760] main::changeEffectiveUserAndGroup (1050) Warning: Logitech Media Server must not be run as root! Only do this if you know what you're doing!!
But thanks! And please don't get me wrong. I'm in no way criticizing, I'm grateful you got it running, no matter how.
DietPi is by far the most useable and polished server-distribution!

Sent you a little donation: 40890234V97213155

PS. When de-selecting Squeezebox in the DietPi Software-Menu, you cannot uninstall. It says "no changes have been made".

fourdee4d

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:59 pm

Loom wrote:Please take a look here:
"in 7.8.0 There are some bugs that only sorted in 7.8.1. Please dont install 7.8.0"[/b]
The 7.8.1 link goes to the 7.8.0 download:
http://www.mysqueezebox.com/update/?ver ... l=1&os=deb

The 7.9.1 goes to a nightly build.
Regardless of what improvement it has over 7.8.0. I'am not willing to roll that out as the installation for DietPi.
The sheer number of possible unique bugs and issues it could cause the user, on the day they installed it, isnt worth it.
But I'm still curious why all other Rasbian dists don't need a special treatment to get the server going.
Its due to the DietPi-Ramlog. It creates a /var/log mount during boot. Then it has to recreate the log files and directories that existed before shutdown. It then sets all data to 664 and root:root.

I'll look into adding a feature which will preserve the user, group, and file permission attributes with DietPi-Ramlog.
And by starting the server via DietPi service, you unfortunately loose the ability to start/stop/restart the service.
You can run the following to achieve the same goal:

dietpi-services restart
[15-09-09 21:46:59.6760] main::changeEffectiveUserAndGroup (1050) Warning: Logitech Media Server must not be run as root! Only do this if you know what you're doing!!
Unless LMS has some "hidden code" that could cause harm to your system. Running it as "root" is no different than running it as "JoeBloggs".
Sent you a little donation: 40890234V97213155
Thank you. I'll put this towards my funding for getting the new RPi Touchscreen.
PS. When de-selecting Squeezebox in the DietPi Software-Menu, you cannot uninstall. It says "no changes have been made".
This is expected. To uninstall software on your system, you will need to run:

dietpi-uninstall
This is on my list of jobs to improve.

Loom

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:24 pm

7.9 is labeled as nightly, but it has been rock-stable for me since a year or so. It offers some very nice new features, which would be missed.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... MS-7-8-7-9

But I suppose it's too much of a hazzle to offer one bleeding edge 7.90 and a stable 7.81 ?

By the way, here's the link to the 7.81 branch:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... hp?ver=7.8

The Slimdevices wiki had some typos in the install script, here's the code for 7.90 (just in ase ;-) )

latest_lms=$(wget -q -O - "http://www.mysqueezebox.com/update/?version=7.8.0&revision=1&geturl=1&os=deb")
mkdir -p /sources
cd /sources
wget $latest_lms
lms_deb=$(echo $latest_lms|cut -d "/" -f8)
dpkg -i $lms_deb
ls /sources/logi* -1t | tail -3| xargs -d '\n' rm -f
Its due to the DietPi-Ramlog. It creates a /var/log mount during boot. Then it has to recreate the log files and directories that existed before shutdown. It then sets all data to 664 and root:root.
Okay, this makes a lot of sense. I uninstalled ramlog, but this didn't seem to have any effect. Starting Squeezeboxserver the normal way failed aswell.

fourdee4d

Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:59 pm

Loom wrote:7.9 is labeled as nightly, but it has been rock-stable for me since a year or so. It offers some very nice new features, which would be missed.
But I suppose it's too much of a hazzle to offer one bleeding edge 7.90 and a stable 7.81 ?
Its still a nightly build that will change from one day to the next. The bugs it could cause would be inconsistent and depends on what day the user installed it. Trust me, its easy to make a programming mistake and release a buggy nightly build.

The other issue with nightly builds is the programmer knows its for testing purposes. So in general, their less inclined to test the build themselves, and, rely on the public for results.

So, for example, we use 7.9 nightly builds in dietpi-software:
- User installs LMS today, works fine.
- User installs LMS tomorrow, finds a bug.
- User installed LMS yesterday, completely different bug.
- Users send me a bug report.
- I have 2 completely different bugs to investigate
- I will end up having to debug their (LMS) software. I simply dont have the time for it.

To answer your question regarding nightly builds (7.9) as install candidate for DietPi-Software:
No.
By the way, here's the link to the 7.81 branch:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... hp?ver=7.8
I will test 7.8.1 as the install for DietPi. If its successful, i'll roll it out.
Okay, this makes a lot of sense. I uninstalled ramlog, but this didn't seem to have any effect. Starting Squeezeboxserver the normal way failed aswell.
Did you try the instructions i posted on this page (at the bottom)? https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/65

fourdee4d

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Loom wrote:Oh, and maybe you would like to include an option to turn of the PWR and ACT LED's on the Raspi 2 completely ? Since the red power LED is rather bright, this would be a really useful addition:
Had some simple fun with this. "Ne nor ne nor" lol

Press CTRL+C to stop.

while true; do  echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/led0/brightness;echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/led1/brightness;sleep 0.1;echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/led0/brightness;echo 1 > /sys/class/leds/led1/brightness;sleep 0.05;done

Return to “General discussion”