piersonm7

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:45 pm

might i add that when i run "lsmod" nothing at all shows up

MrEngman

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:03 pm

piersonm7 wrote:might i add that when i run "lsmod" nothing at all shows up
Just had a quick look at pwnpi and it is rather old, Oct 2012, so presumably you ran apt-get update/upgrade and maybe rpi-update to get to the kernel version you are now using.

Taking a look at the website, again from 2012, I found a post referring to your wifi dongle and possible power issues.

I can't understand why lsmod doesn't show the rtl8187 module, but could be a power issue I suppose although even if there was a problem with the power I would still expect the driver to be listed using lsmod.

What do you see if you run command modinfo rtl8187?

What do you see if you run the two commands

Code: Select all

insmod /lib/modules/4.1.6+/kernel/drivers/misc/eeprom/eeprom_93cx6.ko
insmod /lib/modules/4.1.6+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl818x/rtl8187/rtl8187.ko
From looking at the pwnpi web site the login requires logging in as root so the commands above should work. If you do not log in as root then add sudo to the start of each of the commands. The module eeprom_93cx6 needs loading as rtl8187 requires it to be running for it to load.

What does lsmod now show? Do you see any errors referring to 8187 using command dmesg?

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

piersonm7

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:08 pm

its erring each command even with sudo in front of them.... its saying there is no such file or directory and when i run the dmesg it gives too much and i can't scroll up or down for some reason... should i wipe the sd and redownload it? or is there a different way i should be going about these things? sorry for all the questions... I'm not amazing at it but am interested in computers alto :D :D

MrEngman

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:09 am

piersonm7 wrote:its erring each command even with sudo in front of them.... its saying there is no such file or directory and when i run the dmesg it gives too much and i can't scroll up or down for some reason... should i wipe the sd and redownload it? or is there a different way i should be going about these things? sorry for all the questions... I'm not amazing at it but am interested in computers alto :D :D
I've had a further look at pwnpi and made an SD card with it. Ran apt-get update/upgrade and end up with 4.1.6+ #810.

Checked the default wifi config files and /etc/network/interfaces shows

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf shows

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
The previous defaults for these two files I showed you were for a newer set up introduced in the latest raspbian 20150505 image and so may not work.

I would suggest setting you wifi config files to these values adding the following section in to the end of the/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplican.conf file

network={
	ssid="your-network-name"
	psk="your-network-password"
}
and see if that makes any difference to your wifi configuration.

Regarding the insmod commands again, it seems that the driver depends on several other modules being available so unless they are loaded first the driver module will not load. However, I am surprised you had a problem with the command installing the eeprom_93cx6.ko file as I was able to run that without problems.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

piersonm7

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 pm

ok it turns out my micro SD card was corrupt anyways so i got a new one and experimented with Kali linux and everything was fixed!!!! thanks for all the help!! i know it wasn't easy keeping up with all my questions!! God bless

MrEngman

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 pm

piersonm7 wrote:ok it turns out my micro SD card was corrupt anyways so i got a new one and experimented with Kali linux and everything was fixed!!!! thanks for all the help!! i know it wasn't easy keeping up with all my questions!! God bless
No problem, glad you've got things sorted out.

MrEngman

Ian301060

Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:24 pm

I have a raspberry pi2. I have connected it via WiFi to my bt home hub5.
The WiFi connects OK but am unable to get access to internet.
I am unable to connect to internet with direct connection to the hub using LAN connection.
Any idea's why.

Electec

Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Got open elec installed and I can't find an option for wifi I've looked on u tube and it shows 2options under setting,openelec and network problem is I have neither of these on my openelec ,somebody mention that I have to set my settings to expert to be able to set up wifi ,how do I do this please help. I'm a complete tech dinosaur with almost no clue my mate put open elec on for me.

danarchy

Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:20 am

OK- I'm the worst of the worst. Totally new to coding and totally new to a Pi. I have been trying to connect my Edimax Wifi Dongle. It's working. It took me all day to find something that worked to allow me to SSH through my Mac.

Somehow, through the process of changing /etc/network/interfaces and setting up a static IP, it has officially changed the name of my Pi (raspberrypi...original, I know) to the first part of my wifi SSID (hello from hello.wifi.thief). When I log in now, I am hello. I tried changing my host name and it changes it back upon reboot. It's not fouling me up, but I have a fear it will in the future. Help!

Also, I am using Adafruit's PiFinder and though I can SSH through my Mac, it does not find my Pi via Wifi. Any insight into that would be great!

art.horne

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:45 pm

Greetings all,
I am a new user to RPI. I've been fighting a wifi problem for several weeks now and getting nowhere. I've Googled many topics and read many supposed fixes, none of which worked.

Here's my problem, and I've seen many others say they have exactly the same problem. I can connect to my wifi with no problem. I just can't connect to any internet url. Something is wrong with DNS access. When I use the browser it always comes up with error msg "Cannot resolve host name". Many others have posted that same problem. I'm running the latest (20150505) version. Surely someone at raspberry.org is aware of this problem. I have no problem with eth0 accessing the web, just wlan0. Don't they use the same DNS? I've added (and subtracted) a variety of lines to /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf, and /etc/resolv.conf regarding name servers to add DNS servers. resolv.conf keeps getting overwritten when I reboot so that was no help.

Please, can't someone explain what to do to get web access via wlan0?
I'm a total newbie with RPI but I've been working with computers since 1957. I've done embedded system design and programming using Basic, Assembly, Forth, C to name a few, but no Linux. I really am impressed with the RPI but I am so totally frustrated right now.
Thanks for any help.
Art

art.horne

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:19 pm

I tried to install Bind9 and got a whole lot of error messages like "Something wicked happened resolving 'mirrordirector.raspbian.org:http....no address associated with hostname"
I was trying to use this approach located here: https://www.samculley.co.uk/how-to-inst ... an-wheezy/. So, I'm still stuck with no web access with wifi.

art.horne

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:20 pm

I tried to install Bind9 and got a whole lot of error messages like "Something wicked happened resolving 'mirrordirector.raspbian.org:http....no address associated with hostname"
I was trying to use this approach located here: https://www.samculley.co.uk/how-to-inst ... an-wheezy/. So, I'm still stuck with no web access with wifi.

art.horne

Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Here's a few other things I've found. If I plug in the eternet cable an reboot the file /etc/resolv.conf contains # Generated by resolvconf
domain home
nameserver 192.158.1.1

If I unplug the ethernet cable an reboot I get a connection to wlan0 and the file /etc/resolv.conf contains nothing but the comment # Generated by resolfconf.

I've tried adding DNS urls to resolv.conf but as soon as I reboot it is over written to only the comment.

Hope someon can come up with a solution!

Thanks,
Art

kusti8

Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:52 am

art.horne wrote:Here's a few other things I've found. If I plug in the eternet cable an reboot the file /etc/resolv.conf contains # Generated by resolvconf
domain home
nameserver 192.158.1.1

If I unplug the ethernet cable an reboot I get a connection to wlan0 and the file /etc/resolv.conf contains nothing but the comment # Generated by resolfconf.

I've tried adding DNS urls to resolv.conf but as soon as I reboot it is over written to only the comment.

Hope someon can come up with a solution!

Thanks,
Art
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/luc ... onf.8.html

You'll need to install it first:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install resolvconf
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

art.horne

Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:38 am

Kusti8, thanks for the reply. As I mentioned linux is new to me so I'll be asking stupid quesions for a while. I installed resolvconf ok but I don't understand the reference to rpi-transfer. Do I need to add or edit some file in the rom? I rebooted RPI after installing resolvconf but there must be something else I need to do.

Art

art.horne

Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:56 am

ok, I rebooted and checked the resolv.conf file while connected to eth0 and I now have a slightly different file so the installation of resolvconf is working. I then removed the eth0 cable and sudo reboot and got a blank resolv.conf (except for new comments). I also still can't connect to any websites. The wifi icon says wlan0: Associated with SSID and wlan0 configured 158.254.232.53/16 and eth0 is down. When I try to go to google.com it errors out with "Cannot resolve hostname (www.google.com). Same for any website.
Any ideas?
Art

art.horne

Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:01 am

Duh! I just saw that the reference to rpi-transfer was your signature. I looked up your info and saw that. Oh well. I'm learning.
Art

rpdom

Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:04 am

Please post your /etc/network/interfaces file for checking.

Are you using a static address for wlan0?

The address of the nameserver when using eth0 looks normal (apart from what I assume to be a typo? 192.158.1.1 should be 192.168.1.1), but the IP address of wlan0 looks odd (158.254.232.53/16). I can't find out who the 158.254.0.0 IP range is registered to. Is it a static address that you have been assigned?

You could try adding

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8
after the "iface wlan0..." line in your interfaces file.

art.horne

Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi rpdom,
Thanks for the reply. Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file looks like after adding in the dns-nameservers.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
wpa-roam /etc wpa_ supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

It still doesn't work. I am not using any static addresses. I don't know how to yet or what the benefits would be. I just looked at the wifi icon and it says wlan0 Configured 169.254.232.53/16. I must have typed it wrong as I have it written down from days ago that said it was 169.254.232.53/16.
Just FYI my wpa_supplicant file looks like this:

update_config=1

network={
ssid="My SSID"
wep_key0="1234567890"
key_mgmt=NONE
}

Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Art

KenOh92

Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:10 pm

Hi Mr EngMan,

I have problem in installing the wifi kernel. It always show invalid module format. I have tried most of the solutions given above. Is there anything I missed ?

MrEngman

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:59 pm

KenOh92 wrote:Hi Mr EngMan,

I have problem in installing the wifi kernel. It always show invalid module format. I have tried most of the solutions given above. Is there anything I missed ?
Please post the output of commands

uname -a
lsusb
so we can see the OS you use and the wifi you are using.

MrEngman

digdug

Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:11 am

Oy! this is harder than it should be. Anyway I followed the steps at the beginning of this thread... almost ;) First I upgraded the system over ethernet then I started x-windows and connected to my wireless router. Lo and behold when I exited x-windows and checked the wpa_supplicant.conf file my ssid and passphrase were added.

So I rebooted and the connection was persistant. Yippie!!! Well almost. So far so good I think. But then I changed the interface file to set-up a static IP. Now when I reboot wlan0 has 2 IP addresses associated with it. A dynamic one from the router and the static one I set. The wireless set-up in x-windows must have changed something deeper.

Any ideas? Thanks.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0
#allow-hotplug wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet manual
iface wlan0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.10
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

update_config=1

network={
        ssid="Linksys16189"
        psk="bhwrxxgcdd"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

MrEngman

Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:52 am

Take a look here viewtopic.php?p=798866#p798866, might help.

MrEngman

jaycyborg

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:48 pm

I am using MediaTek 7610 wifi dongle , the dongle is getting detected by the rasbian but when I try ifconfig command , the wlan interface is not listed .I have attached the screen shot of the configs. I hope it helps. If any more details are required please do let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

MrEngman

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:35 pm

jaycyborg wrote:I am using MediaTek 7610 wifi dongle , the dongle is getting detected by the rasbian but when I try ifconfig command , the wlan interface is not listed .I have attached the screen shot of the configs. I hope it helps. If any more details are required please do let me know. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
You need to download and install an mt7610 driver as there is not one included with the kernel image.

I have compiled a driver and you can download and install it using commands

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/mt7610-4.1.7-v7-813.tar.gz
tar xzf mt7610-4.1.7-v7-813.tar.gz
./install.sh
After installing reboot to bring up the driver.

I've only tried it very briefly on a Pi 2B with TP-Link T2U wifi, but at least it boots OK and the wifi is up and running.

MrEngman

Return to “Troubleshooting”