heedaf

Opinion Needed

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:23 pm

I've been playing with the Pi for awhile using Raspian and I've been thinking about moving to Windows 10. I've never really been a fan of Linux. I'm really tired of investing massive amounts of time getting something working and finding out that it is no longer compatible with a newer version. Or downloading the newest version just to find out it doesn't work.

So has anyone found using Windows 10 to be easier to use then Raspian? I use PyCharm in Windows and it works great but when I try moving the Python files over to Raspbian I get all kinds of issues.

Any advice with pros or cons would be greatly appreciated.

Laurens-wuyts

Re: Opinion Needed

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:32 pm

The windows 10 version isn't a normal windows. It's windows IOT.
It has no desktop etc.
You better stick to Raspbian or Ubuntu.

Laurens

heedaf

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:57 pm

I'm creating GUIs from PyQt so I really don't need the Win enviroment. So would you still not recommend Win IOT?

DougieLawson

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:29 pm

heedaf wrote:I'm creating GUIs from PyQt so I really don't need the Win enviroment. So would you still not recommend Win IOT?
Raspbian runs PyQt really well.

Read this: http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ ... erry-pi-2/ to decide if you need to go for the Win 10 IoT stuff or not. Most likely not.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

mikronauts

Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:59 pm

Sigh.

Win10IOT is not a desktop or development platform. See

http://www.mikronauts.com/raspberry-pi/ ... erry-pi-2/

heedaf wrote:I've been playing with the Pi for awhile using Raspian and I've been thinking about moving to Windows 10. I've never really been a fan of Linux. I'm really tired of investing massive amounts of time getting something working and finding out that it is no longer compatible with a newer version. Or downloading the newest version just to find out it doesn't work.

So has anyone found using Windows 10 to be easier to use then Raspian? I use PyCharm in Windows and it works great but when I try moving the Python files over to Raspbian I get all kinds of issues.

Any advice with pros or cons would be greatly appreciated.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

ric96

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:05 pm

It's NOT a desktop replacement, not even close.
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Joe Schmoe

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:55 pm

I think a lot of people assume that even if it isn't what they want now, it will be in the future. I.e., that MSFT won't let them down. That both the "not a desktop" and "won't run x86 programs" issues are just temporary bumps in the road.

This general model has worked pretty well over the years with MSFT until about 10 years ago (Vista - where MS's whole world just crashed and burned as far as I am concerned).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jboyer43

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:06 pm

I see reality a bit differently. Windows 10 IoT is part of a system. Few if any would develop in RPI. Most use, as noted, a desktop tool, cross compiler or whatever. W10IoT makes a lot of sense when using the free Visual Studio 2015 (Community is Free and .Net is somewhat Open source). Creating an application in a supported language - C#, VB, Python or JavaScript (node.js?) can be done, tested on the desktop and published easily on the PI. If you are to use to .Net languages, it is a real treat. No flame, please as I am not implying simpler or easier. These are different topics.
Jerome

jboyer43

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:07 pm

I'd like to add that Windows 10 IoT is really a version 1... we need to keep that in mind.
Jerome

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:17 pm

Version 1 or not, it will NEVER evolve into a desktop system, that is simply not its role. :roll:
the rest is simply wishful thinking. (yeah I know it is my "hobby horse", the wishful thinking idea, not the win10IOT stuff).

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:19 pm

mahjongg wrote:Version 1 or not, it will NEVER evolve into a desktop system, that is simply not its role. :roll:
the rest is simply wishful thinking. (yeah I know this is my "hobby horse", the wishful thinking idea, not the winIOT10 stuff).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQpRMegYc0
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:27 pm

nice song! nice video clip too! :mrgreen:

Joe Schmoe

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:14 pm

mahjongg wrote:Version 1 or not, it will NEVER evolve into a desktop system, that is simply not its role.
Yes, you know that and I know that, but Joe & Mary Sixpack - the people whom all this "Windows 10 runs on the Raspberry Pi" hype is intended to reach - doesn't.

As I said, they assume that MSFT won't let them down. MSFT has always promised its customers that if they stick with them, all will be well - i.e., it will be brought down to their level.

And, as I said, the fact that it is version 1 is the whole point. They assume that the bugs will be worked out in future versions.

And you already know what I mean when I say "The bugs".

UndergroundFun

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:44 pm

I have a working application running on the Pi right now.

It's not targeted at "Joe & Mary Sixpack". I blame that primarily on the media who took it out of context and got some nifty headlines out of it.

Realistically, I think it could very easily be used as a "web desktop", web mail, Google Docs, etc... That would hit most of the "Sixpack family's" uses. Video driver, still not ready apparently so we'll see how that does for online videos, that being the other missing piece at the moment.

But, it will take someone configuring it that way for them as a service in the first place. It will have to be offered as an appliance that they can plug in, and log into something. There isn't going to be any connecting from powershell on another computer.

Joe Schmoe

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Thank you for making (reinforcing) all my points for me. Thanks!

UndergroundFun

Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:04 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:Thank you for making (reinforcing) all my points for me. Thanks!
Hardly.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”