chernandezba

Re: New version emulator ZEsarUX 3.0: Windows, ZX-Uno

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:48 am

Higgy wrote:Hi,

Ah! :

So you can set those menu options only using joystick.
NumSelect is set to button 2 and NumAction is set to button 1 by default
It seems that button 2 is the same button as you set for 'Enter'. Enter menu Real joystick emulation -> Joystick to events->Button for NumSelect and change it (or change it by command line:
--joystickkeyev evt key

Yes sorry, I can remember now, I had 2 buttons with the same function :oops: Problem working on it late at night :lol:

And thanks for the explanation of NumSelect & NumAction. Would be very useful when using a PS3 or XBOX360 pad that has more buttons.

I have ordered a USB soundcard, so will test when it arrives and report.
It is great to have an active developer, so many times things get left when they are not quite finished. Fingers crossed for you fixing the sound issues. :ugeek: ;) I would not have a clue if other Speccy emulator developers (Fuse, Unreal & FBZX) can help? or it is purely a programming issue not related to emulation code.

Thanks
Thanks. Tell me if with your usb soundcard works.

About some other developers... Well, maybe I can try. Sometimes the best is to look at the source code...
The problem here is that testing on pc/mac is easy and fast for me, but not on raspberry. It's slower, I have to plug every time I test it, I don't have a hdmi monitor (so I use the RCA output to a TV Tuner card on my pc).. etc.... ;)

Cheers

chernandezba

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi

Tested O2 and O3 with Rainbow Islands on Spectrum 128k.
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinc ... ds.tap.zip

No difference between O2 or O3. In both cases, rpi cpu usage is 80%, 13 FPS on emulator and frameskip autoset to 3 (game enables real video). My rpi1 is set to 800 MHz.

So, I think O2 is correct for compiling the emulator

Cheers
Cesar

Higgy

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Just wondering what is 'Real Video' ?

For reference the /rainbow/over128.z80 is 50fps 18% CPU no frameskips on RPi 2 1000MHz overclock. So the sound should not be CPU limited.

Games are around 13% CPU. Graphics demos 16-23% CPU

RPI 2 rocks 8-)

chernandezba

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:32 am

Higgy wrote:Just wondering what is 'Real Video' ?

For reference the /rainbow/over128.z80 is 50fps 18% CPU no frameskips on RPi 2 1000MHz overclock. So the sound should not be CPU limited.

Games are around 13% CPU. Graphics demos 16-23% CPU

RPI 2 rocks 8-)
It seems that rpi2 is much faster than 1. Maybe I have to buy one ;)

Real Video means to draw the screen exactly as the Spectrum does. Enabling it consumes more host cpu than disabling it.
Having it disabled consumes less host cpu and draws the screen using a faster method.
I don't want to do a long technical explanation about this.. You may take a look at these pages:
http://tarjan.uw.hu/zx_gfx_modes_en.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum_graphic_modes

Only think that on the Spectrum the TV is drawn following the electron beam and knowing it, you can do a lot of tricks, like having more than 1 colour per attribute (8x8 pixels). That demo, over128.z80 (overscan) does that trick.
Try the following test: with over128.z80 loaded:
-Display Settings: Set autodetect real video to Off
-Display Settings: Set real video to Off

You will notice the difference. Try enabling and disabling real video (and having the autodetect always off)

Also, the emulator can detect some of this tricks and auto-enable real video setting, like on this overscan demo.

Cheers
Cesar

dudleydes

Re: New version emulator ZEsarUX 3.0: , ZX-Uno

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Cesar

Regards the 48K Trap Door tape, out of the 25 or so tapes I've tested to date, Trap Door is the only one that refuses to load. It doesn't load in Fuse or Fbzx either so I suspect the problem is with the tape. I shall look for an alternative format.
chernandezba wrote: Yes, the way to do it is using ascii char 32:
--joystickkeybt 15 32

It's better to test it first on Basic, to see if it shows a space when pressing the button, and if it works, the game should work also.
I've managed to get the above parameter working for most games. It was just Chase H.Q. where it didn't seem to work. I found a solution by using space on the NumSelect event. The only issue is that the Key# overlay obsures the game play.

dudleydes

Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:31 am

Higgy wrote:@dudleydes - how is sound for you?
I'm also getting clicking and a slight delay. I've tried increasing frameskip but I'm not noticing any improvement.
chernandezba wrote:The problem here is that testing on pc/mac is easy and fast for me, but not on raspberry. It's slower, I have to plug every time I test it, I don't have a hdmi monitor (so I use the RCA output to a TV Tuner card on my pc).. etc....
I always have a RPi 1 and RPi 2 hooked up. If there's any testing you'd like me do, Cesar, then please let me know.

Higgy

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:28 am

Don't forget if your monitor has DVI you can use a HDMI-to-DVI cable. I just ordered another one for my latest bartop arcade.

@dudleydes - I was thinking I have played Trap Door recently, but it might have been via XBOX. I am sure I have it on my RPi, I will try and remember to check tonight.

I have been getting much better (and faster) results using .tap files. I originally used .tzx , not sure why. I read .z80 is not recomended because it is a 'ram/cpu state' frozen on the original host machine, so it is better to 'load' the game in fresh via .tap , .tzx etc.

chernandezba

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi
I tested yesterday trap door and it worked for me on 48k
About chase hq; do what I said first, run basic and press the button and see it if an space appears or not

chernandezba

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:50 pm

About chase hq again...
The emulator has a small database of games and programs and set some settings if one known found. It uses md5 functions to recognize a file
Chase hq is in that list... And those settings for chase hq change joystick button assignments
You may look at menu joystick after loading the tape..
And you can also disable those known settings on tape settings, autoselect options... (It also disables custom configuration files)
Cheers

chernandezba

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:51 pm

dudleydes wrote:
Higgy wrote:@dudleydes - how is sound for you?
I'm also getting clicking and a slight delay. I've tried increasing frameskip but I'm not noticing any improvement.
chernandezba wrote:The problem here is that testing on pc/mac is easy and fast for me, but not on raspberry. It's slower, I have to plug every time I test it, I don't have a hdmi monitor (so I use the RCA output to a TV Tuner card on my pc).. etc....
I always have a RPi 1 and RPi 2 hooked up. If there's any testing you'd like me do, Cesar, then please let me know.
Thanks a lot !
But it's difficult.. Those tests consist on change alsa settings on driver source code, test sound on emulator, change alsa settings again.. and again... ;)

chernandezba

Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Higgy wrote:Don't forget if your monitor has DVI you can use a HDMI-to-DVI cable. I just ordered another one for my latest bartop arcade.

@dudleydes - I was thinking I have played Trap Door recently, but it might have been via XBOX. I am sure I have it on my RPi, I will try and remember to check tonight.

I have been getting much better (and faster) results using .tap files. I originally used .tzx , not sure why. I read .z80 is not recomended because it is a 'ram/cpu state' frozen on the original host machine, so it is better to 'load' the game in fresh via .tap , .tzx etc.
I also prefer tap files. But sometimes it's pretty to load a game exactly as the spectrum. Try any Alcatraz or speed lock loading routines. For example game silent service, using real tape on emulator. It's very nice! :)

Higgy

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:34 am

Yep Trap Door fine on .tap.

I brought along my Raspberry Pi/Spectrum USB keyboard along to my retro event last night and it worked well. It is a shame my game playing skills have not got better over time :oops:

Off topic - but Silent Service 8-) I loved playing this on my Speccy. I just might have to load that one in real time for the memories :P

chernandezba

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:50 pm

I spent a lot of time playing silent service and learning how to drive a submarine ;)
Where did you buy that keyboard? It seems a real Spectrum!

Higgy

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:03 am

It is a real Spectrum ;)

I got hold of a broken one and followed this guide using an Arduino clone - http://www.agm.me.uk/blog/2014/07/zx-keyboard.php to convert it into a USB keyboard.

I have a little switch on the back to swap between PC & Spectrum mode. The PC mode swaps 0-9 into F-keys and it gives me an 'ESC' key so I can operate the emulator menus 8-) :geek:

dudleydes

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:16 am

Higgy wrote:Yep Trap Door fine on .tap.
ZEsarUX gets stuck on the screen below whenever I load the .tap.[attachment=0]trap-door.png[/attachment]
I'm sure I'm missing something. Is there a key I need to press?
Attachments
trap-door.png
trap-door.png (49.65 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

Higgy

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:18 am

Looks like ZEsarUX emulators ram chip failure on motherboard :lol: Sorry.

No key to press. I spotted I had mine in 128K mode. My config defaults to 128K mode. No other special things in my config that I can think of.

Cesar - In ZX-Uno hardware mode, what keyboard buttons do I use for:

Press <Edit> to Setup & <Break> Boot Menu?

Cheers.

chernandezba

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Higgy wrote:It is a real Spectrum ;)

I got hold of a broken one and followed this guide using an Arduino clone - http://www.agm.me.uk/blog/2014/07/zx-keyboard.php to convert it into a USB keyboard.

I have a little switch on the back to swap between PC & Spectrum mode. The PC mode swaps 0-9 into F-keys and it gives me an 'ESC' key so I can operate the emulator menus 8-) :geek:

Great! very nice

chernandezba

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:25 pm

dudleydes wrote:
ZEsarUX gets stuck on the screen below whenever I load the .tap.
trap-door.png
I don't know. Try to tell me more details: does it load the screen? When it hangs? Etc...

chernandezba

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:29 pm

Higgy wrote:Looks like ZEsarUX emulators ram chip failure on motherboard :lol: Sorry.

No key to press. I spotted I had mine in 128K mode. My config defaults to 128K mode. No other special things in my config that I can think of.

Cesar - In ZX-Uno hardware mode, what keyboard buttons do I use for:

Press <Edit> to Setup & <Break> Boot Menu?

Cheers.
Compare an original speccy 48 and a 128 or +2. The last ones have more keys than the 48kb but these are really combinations of keys, not new keys
So,
Edit means shift+1
Break means shift+space
Extended mode means shift+symbol shift
Cursor keys are combinations of shift+numeric keys 5678
Etc
There are some other...
Cheers

Higgy

Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:47 am

Quick update. My USB sound card turned up in the post.

And... sound is much much better. No clicking and using the included demo tapes the sound might just have note out every so often.

For £2 it is a must.

For the price I think I will buy some for my Arcade Bartops. Might make MAME Outrun's sound ok on RPi 1.

Cesar you have dsp audio driver option, but is this usable on Pi? I think we need additional drivers.

chernandezba

Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:55 am

Hi

dsp audio driver works on pc, but I haven't found and /dev/dsp on my rpi1 to use it.
Seems to be a kernel module to enable it:

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... gh-dev-dsp

But I think it is an alsa-oss emulated driver. So, no real dsp.

Cheers
Cesar

dudleydes

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:43 pm

chernandezba wrote:
dudleydes wrote:
ZEsarUX gets stuck on the screen below whenever I load the .tap.
trap-door.png
I don't know. Try to tell me more details: does it load the screen? When it hangs? Etc...
The loading screen as in Higgy's photo appears for a moment and then it hangs. It happens on my desktop (Linux Mint) and the Pi versions of ZEsarUX.

Edit: It was a bad tape. I found one that works.
Last edited by dudleydes on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Higgy

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:21 am

I had a good play with ZEsarUX and it works really well 8-) . I tried most of your demo tapes now and some other demos and games. That USB sound card makes a massive difference.

On RPi 2 - FPS might drop to 49fps for a fraction of a second. Otherwise 50fps :D

I also tried ZX-Uno mode. I got the boot menu, but I could not navigate up and down to select different hardware. This was using my ZX Spectrum USB keyboard. As ZX-Uno uses a PS/2 keyboard then maybe it is looking for the Numpad's arrow keys and it will not work with actual ZX Spectrum key commands?

I will test with a USB keyboard and see if it works. Otherwise I don't know if it is something you can do or it is the ZX-Uno guys that could potentially implement something.

@dudleydes - I've sent you a PM re:Trap Door

chernandezba

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:28 pm

Hi

Zx uno has the same keys as a spectrum. The bios menu must be operated with spectrum cursor keys, which are emulated with numeric cursors on rpi or using shift+ 5678 .

Cheers
Cesar

Return to “Gaming”