Autdad44

Homeschool Help

Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:17 pm

I read through the list of educational help and resources, are any of these accessible to homeschool families? I am homeschooling my 12 son and he(we) are both interested in using the Pi and learning about the different things that can be done and built using it, any help in this area would be appreciated. Than you.

bobstro

Re: Homeschool Help

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:01 pm

Other than grammar and spelling? :)

Any number of easy start guides should be fine for what you've described. None of them are off-limits to homeschooling.

Is there any particular topic you're teaching him?

Autdad44

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:33 pm

Wow...thank you for the insult, nice way to begin helping someone...

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:54 am

Autdad44 wrote:Wow...thank you for the insult, nice way to begin helping someone...
Sigh... With any group of people there will always be some with sharp tongues. I have to watch that tendency myself.

I *think* his point may have been that typos (or other language errors) in a post dealing with homeschooling would indicate that there might be higher priorities than computing, even if a rather crudely put.

The real answer to the initial questions are that, (1) no one is restricting the use of educational resources for the Pi to any one form of education, and (2) you can always ask for help, though care in choosing in which forum to do so merits some attention. For point 1, self-education, homeschooling, private schools, clubs, public schools...doesn't matter. The ultimate in education is a teacher on one end of a log and a student on the other end. For point 2, if the wrong forum is picked, someone will probably move the thread to the correct one (and generally without comment).

I hope that helps and I apologize in advance for any sloppiness of typing or language on my part.

metalj

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:08 am

I suggest working on no starch press books for python and scratch and Linux and minecraft pi. Get a copy of magpi for projects. I found a typing tutor the other day. Also I was thinking about creating an audio podcast describing my experiences with the pi. And sonic pi has tutorials built in plus there is some video lessons from Dave conservatoire. So that should keep you pretty busy.
Backspace 28 times :)

helenlynn
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:54 pm

First of all: digs about grammar and spelling are almost never on-topic in these forums, and they're particularly unwarranted in response to a question about first steps for beginners. If someone's spelling or grammar is so difficult to read that you need to ask for clarification, do so kindly and carefully; otherwise, either address the content of the post or say nothing.

I second the recommendation of the No Starch Press books (https://www.nostarch.com/) - I've heard only good things about them.

My all-time top recommendation for an enjoyable, all-round introduction to Raspberry Pi, particularly for learners of around that age, is my colleague Carrie Anne's book, Adventures in Raspberry Pi (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1745). It will get your son up and running, and you can see which activities appeal to you both most and which you'd like to take further. You'll probably find lots of our own "Learn" (https://www.raspberrypi.org/resources/learn/) and "Make" (https://www.raspberrypi.org/resources/make/) resources suitable, too.

Many children love discovering how to do amazing stuff in the Minecraft world by programming in Python, and Martin O'Hanlon's Stuff About Code website (http://www.stuffaboutcode.com/) has some great resources for that, as well as links to more elsewhere.

I hope you both enjoy whatever resource you choose to start with!

DougieLawson

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:00 pm

helenlynn wrote:First of all: digs about grammar and spelling are almost never on-topic in these forums, and they're particularly unwarranted in response to a question about first steps for beginners. If someone's spelling or grammar is so difficult to read that you need to ask for clarification, do so kindly and carefully; otherwise, either address the content of the post or say nothing.
I wondered if someone was trying to be humorous since a lot of the education materials are written using English idiom & spelling, rather than American. It is exceedingly tedious to nit pick spelling and grammatical errors on any forum where English may not be the first language of all posters.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:12 am

DougieLawson wrote:
helenlynn wrote:First of all: digs about grammar and spelling are almost never on-topic in these forums, and they're particularly unwarranted in response to a question about first steps for beginners. If someone's spelling or grammar is so difficult to read that you need to ask for clarification, do so kindly and carefully; otherwise, either address the content of the post or say nothing.
I wondered if someone was trying to be humorous since a lot of the education materials are written using English idiom & spelling, rather than American. It is exceedingly tedious to nit pick spelling and grammatical errors on any forum where English may not be the first language of all posters.
With the caveat of not taking the general for the specific, it is my experience that non-native English speakers generally write better English than native speakers do. This *may* be due to either taking more care (as such a person would know that they are not working in their native language) and/or because having deliberately learned English they have had the actual rules of the language drilled into them, plus not having to forget errors picked up from the native immersion process.

English is pretty forgiving, though. It's possible for a native speaker to pick the intended meaning out of a piece of rather garbled text, due to the lack of some rules in English that exist in other languages and the massive redundancy (typically around 70%) in natural languages.

As for typing errors...show me someone who never makes a typo and I'll show you someone who does very little typing.

vrntch_pi

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:52 pm

i will be teaching raspberry pi at a homeschool co-op - --do a search for "Raspberry Pi Educational Manual"

it can be downloaded from the RasPi Store - - i couldn't attach to this post - - it's too big.
have fun - -

Return to “Teaching and learning resources”