Hansel

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Thu May 17, 2012 8:46 am

Hansel wrote:
LastSilmaril wrote:
Hansel wrote:
I assume it's related, as I just can't build anything after the ccache commits :(
Um, there's nothing in there about the ccache location though, not sure what's going on in there. Does changing the location back whilst using the latest builds do anything for you?
Here's your error:

Code: Select all

/home/simon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/lib/gcc/armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/4.7.0/../../../../armv6zk-openelec-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
So something ain't working at the linking stage. I know this is a silly question but you're cleaning you're build dir with 'make clean' right? I wasn't doing that and had issues with my builds, though they did compile.
Yeah, I know it doesn't really mention the ccache, I just figured it was a bit of a coincidence that the last working commit was right before that stuff was changed :)

I always do a make clean, yep, so we can rule that out.

I was just about to switch to the old ccache directory (CCACHE_DIR=$ROOT/$BUILD/.ccache)so I'll let you know how that goes.

Right then, that worked fine. So, my system for some reason doesn't like the new ccache location....

Any ideas what's going on there? :D

Hansel

Thu May 17, 2012 8:50 am

arun wrote:Hi,
size of the kernel.img dropped from around 8.5Mb to 3.5Mb.

Anyone else with the same problem?
Hi mate,

I see the same thing. Just built 11023 and it has a 3.5mb kernel file.

funnel

Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 am

Same here kernel size 3.5mb an doesn't boot. 11019

humla

Thu May 17, 2012 8:57 am

jardiamj wrote:I was trying to build OpenELEC today, following the instructions from this link -> http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... spberry_Pi.

But the build doesn't finish, it stops after a while with the following comment:

Leaving directory `/home/jardi/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/xbmc-rpi-7d3f895'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jardi/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/xbmc-rpi-7d3f895'
make[1]: Warning: File `Makefile.in' has modification time 2.8e+04 s in the future
Regenerating Makefiles...
It just hangs there repeating the same lines over and over. Any ideas of what's going wrong?
It seems like there is something wrong with system time and the fle modified date. Can you give the result of

date
And go inside the openelec folder and

ls -lh

Hansel

Thu May 17, 2012 9:07 am

11023: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6926994/OpenELE ... 23.tar.bz2

Might not work though due to the complaints about the small kernel file (I haven't tested it yet).

crckmc

Thu May 17, 2012 9:09 am

thanks Hansel i was just about to ask if someone could upload a new build :)
will try later and report if it works!

LastSilmaril

Thu May 17, 2012 9:16 am

So even though there is now a default advancedsettings.xml file, I'm not sure if it'll overwrite an existing one on upgrade to the newer firmware. haven't tried it yet but stands to reason that it won't.

I compiled both 11015 and 11023 and they've both got the much smaller kernels. Haven't tried it just yet.

Hansel

Thu May 17, 2012 9:18 am

LastSilmaril wrote:So even though there is now a default advancedsettings.xml file, I'm not sure if it'll overwrite an existing one on upgrade to the newer firmware. haven't tried it yet but stands to reason that it won't.
I'm curious about that as well, as I have the MySQL stuff in my advancedsettings at the moment. Don't really want to have to recreate that every time I do a new compile :)

LastSilmaril

Thu May 17, 2012 9:20 am

Hansel wrote:
LastSilmaril wrote:So even though there is now a default advancedsettings.xml file, I'm not sure if it'll overwrite an existing one on upgrade to the newer firmware. haven't tried it yet but stands to reason that it won't.
I'm curious about that as well, as I have the MySQL stuff in my advancedsettings at the moment. Don't really want to have to recreate that every time I do a new compile :)
Right, same here. But now, I'm going back to bed.

humla

Thu May 17, 2012 9:23 am

Yup I also get the same kernel size now.shouldnt be right though, that should be too small to work.

crckmc

Thu May 17, 2012 10:39 am

it won't boot with the small kernel hope someone can fix this

gavinlew

Thu May 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Im unable to test, but just copy the kernel from the last known working image for now?
I've just compiled 11023 and also have a 3mb kernel

-rw-r--r-- 1 gavinl gavinl 3486652 2012-05-17 14:25 OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120517120135-r11023.kernel
-rw-r--r-- 1 gavinl gavinl 77762560 2012-05-17 14:26 OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120517120135-r11023.system

I have a 10mb kernel from build 10979.

-rw-r--r-- 1 gavinl gavinl 10797060 2012-05-15 15:41 OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120515135653-r10979.kernel
-rw-r--r-- 1 gavinl gavinl 78114816 2012-05-15 15:42 OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120515135653-r10979.system

milhouse

Thu May 17, 2012 2:09 pm

funnel wrote:Same here kernel size 3.5mb an doesn't boot. 11019
It looks like they've just added support for XZ compressed kernels (commit history)- I guess it's not quite working as expected. Seems a rather unnecessary change/saving...

milhouse

Thu May 17, 2012 2:14 pm

I would imagine (hope) that it will only create the default advancedsettings.xml on a fresh installation (ie. empty ext4 partition), and will use the existing file when the user is only upgrading kernel.img & SYSTEM on a working system.

Smartybones

Thu May 17, 2012 2:27 pm

just for the LOL's,,, I am going to compile openELEC on my Pi, just to see how long it takes !!

watch this space !!..

**edit**

this is going to take days !!!

gregd72002

Thu May 17, 2012 3:19 pm

I tried to compile it on the RPi itself some point last week... after 3 days I gave up :D

Remember to be on 224MB ram, otherwise it might not compile ;)

truan

Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm

I built it on my Acer Aspire One netbook (running Ubuntu). Took about 2 days!
Anyway, it did complete and I got a bootable sdcard however I am having real problems streaming. I installed the Hitchers repo so I could grab the iPlayer add on easily, and also picked up the MLB one.
Both report 'unable to open stream' half the time, the rest they just fail silently. The one time I got the iPlayer to work (by right clicking and selecting 'Play From Here' rather then just clicking) it played but at 0.5 fps!!

Anyone seen anything similar? I am going to try updating the card with a 'known good' build, but also wonder if it is the sdcard itself causing the slowdown.(it is a class 6 4gb... but its a Tesco one...

milhouse

Thu May 17, 2012 3:35 pm

truan wrote:I built it on my Acer Aspire One netbook (running Ubuntu). Took about 2 days!
Anyway, it did complete and I got a bootable sdcard however I am having real problems streaming. I installed the Hitchers repo so I could grab the iPlayer add on easily, and also picked up the MLB one.
Both report 'unable to open stream' half the time, the rest they just fail silently. The one time I got the iPlayer to work (by right clicking and selecting 'Play From Here' rather then just clicking) it played but at 0.5 fps!!

Anyone seen anything similar? I am going to try updating the card with a 'known good' build, but also wonder if it is the sdcard itself causing the slowdown.(it is a class 6 4gb... but its a Tesco one...
Some streams work better than others, eg. Have I Got News For You (BBC1), and Bang Goes the Theory (BBC1) streamed OK for me (ie. no problems with frame rates etc.).

The biggest problem with the iPlayer add on is the performance of the add on itself - navigation is terribly slow, with it taking 20-30 seconds to load the metadata each time. Hopefully this can be addressed somehow - maybe it's loading Python each time?

rey

Thu May 17, 2012 3:53 pm

I've been testing Raspbmc and it seems to quicker in the GUI than OpenElec thus far.

Some movies I've had issues with stuttering on (1080p, 5.1 movies) work smoothly too.

welshblob

Thu May 17, 2012 3:57 pm

rey wrote:I've been testing Raspbmc and it seems to quicker in the GUI than OpenElec thus far.

Some movies I've had issues with stuttering on (1080p, 5.1 movies) work smoothly too.
That's good news (GUI speed) as it proves that its not a limitation of the hardware and can be addressed (somehow) in the software. Will be testing raspbmc when I get home assuming all the files are on Sam's download area.

rey

Thu May 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Am sure it'll be optimised massively over time. It's still very new hardware

truan

Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm

milhouse wrote: Some streams work better than others, eg. Have I Got News For You (BBC1), and Bang Goes the Theory (BBC1) streamed OK for me (ie. no problems with frame rates etc.).

The biggest problem with the iPlayer add on is the performance of the add on itself - navigation is terribly slow, with it taking 20-30 seconds to load the metadata each time. Hopefully this can be addressed somehow - maybe it's loading Python each time?
Interestingly, it was Bang Goes the Theory that was giving me 0.5fps. I think there are other things going wrong here, either my build or the sdcard itself could be contributing factors.

LastSilmaril

Thu May 17, 2012 4:59 pm

rey wrote:I've been testing Raspbmc and it seems to quicker in the GUI than OpenElec thus far.

That's good news; from what I heard raspbmc would be more optimized but less obviously customizable and I was looking forward to testing it.
Build instructions are here:
http://www.raspbmc.com/wiki/technical/building-xbmc/
But instead of using https you should use this link to git clone https way fails)
git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp.git

Except the instructions aren't working for me. But I guess that discussion should be in another thread.

Smartybones

Thu May 17, 2012 5:51 pm

i gave up on it after a couple of hours.... it spat its dummy out over the xml parser and don’t really think its worth the effort to fix it...

i think it's quite clear that the RPi is of no use for compiling code on,at least nothing of any significant size....

i know by using the -j switch on the "make" command you can make it compile using multi cores, but there is also another switch you can use to make use of other machines to compile code spread across them... , any idea on it or how its used?

robbo100

Thu May 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi,

I have been following the instructions http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title ... spberry_Pi to get OpenELEC 4 PRi working.

Sadly I have had to send my Pi back because it was faulty, but I want to try to get the SD card ready for when the replacement arrives.

The problem I have been having, is that my second partition on the SD card (ext4 format called "storage") does not allow read or write access from either the Ubuntu PC that I am setting it up on, or on the Pi. During bootup to OpenELEC the Pi reports that it can not write to \storage\xyz. Also, within Ubuntu, when ever I click on the "lost+found" directory in the "storage" partition I get the warning

"The folder contents could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "lost+found"."

Also, I can not make a new folder or copy any files to the partition either.

How do I fix this? I am following the instructions to the letter!

Thanks

Robbo100

Return to “Media centres”