danieled

LG TV reboots Raspberry PI 2

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie just arrived here and I'm having quite an issue setting up Openelec with my brand new TV (which is, by the way, an LG 40UB800V).
When I first plugged it in (the system was an Openelec 5.0.8) it kept rebooting during the "Kodi" startup screen.
After I've reinstalled the system, it kept rebooting the raspberry but during the initial setup.
I've also tried to set it up in different microSD cards and tried another distro (raspbian), however the issue is the same.

What I'm thinking of is the HDMI CEC (called by LG "Simplink") is sending to the raspberry some strange signal which is causing it to reboot.
The issue never appeared before with my previous TV (still LG but can't remember the model, surely a couple of years older)

Do you any of you guys had any similar issue before?
Do you know what log (and where to find it) I can look into the system?

Thanks and best regards from Italy,
Daniele

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: LG TV reboots Raspberry PI 2

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:37 pm

danieled wrote:Hi everyone,
I'm a newbie just arrived here and I'm having quite an issue setting up Openelec with my brand new TV (which is, by the way, an LG 40UB800V).
When I first plugged it in (the system was an Openelec 5.0.8) it kept rebooting during the "Kodi" startup screen.
After I've reinstalled the system, it kept rebooting the raspberry but during the initial setup.
I've also tried to set it up in different microSD cards and tried another distro (raspbian), however the issue is the same.
What I'm thinking of is the HDMI CEC (called by LG "Simplink") is sending to the raspberry some strange signal which is causing it to reboot.
The issue never appeared before with my previous TV (still LG but can't remember the model, surely a couple of years older)
Do you any of you guys had any similar issue before?
Do you know what log (and where to find it) I can look into the system?
Thanks and best regards from Italy,
Daniele
How are you powering the Pi? (From one of the TV's USB ports maybe?)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

danieled

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Hi Trev,
thanks for the quick response, I'm using a phone charger providing max 1.5A output

CopterRichie

Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:55 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote: How are you powering the Pi? (From one of the TV's USB ports maybe?)
Trev.
I had never given it any thought of using the TV's USB port to power the Pi. What sort of problems can develop if the ports are used?

thank you.

myoung008

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Many TVs aren't capable of providing the current that the Pi could use under load. That being said, every time I've used a TV USB port it's worked fine. I don't use this setup on a regular basis. I'd try it and see if it fixes the problem.

LG devices are very picky when it comes to HDMI cables. My go-to response in these situations is to try a different HDMI cable. Thick ones tend to be better than thin, but that's not an absolute. I haven't yet found a thin cable that works completely with LG, but a small fraction of the thick ones I have don't work with. I've never seen any issues on the source end, but I suppose it's possible.

CopterRichie

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:00 pm

myoung008 wrote:Many TVs aren't capable of providing the current that the Pi could use under load. That being said, every time I've used a TV USB port it's worked fine. I don't use this setup on a regular basis. I'd try it and see if it fixes the problem.
In the reported cases, is it possible, the problem was the Micro-USB cable? From personal experience with the cheap thin cables, they will only provide a maximum of 750 ma.

Edited: I just tried it on a Westinghouse, works great with the exception, when I power off the TV, it also power off the USB Port. Will have to Shutdown the Pi before or set a sleep mode.

myoung008

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:45 pm

My reference to cheap thin cables was for HDMI. Probably due to missing signal lines or inadequate shielding.

Cheap USB cables may have a higher resistance which could cause the issue. If you are powering a Pi from a TV that it is also acting as the display the cable can be very short, reducing the overall resistance. I've only had one microusb cable cause issues when used by itself.

knicefire

Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi,

Seems that I'm having the same issue but for the first version of PI B 512M

Have you found any solution to that?
Obviously it has something to do with Simplink because when turned off the device works just fine

Thanks!

Return to “Troubleshooting”