rob_brum

Re: OpenELEC meets Raspberry Pi - part 1 (XBMC)

Tue May 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Once you have done your first build can you then just do

Code: Select all

Git pull
and then

PROJECT=ION ARCH=i386 make release
or are there any other steps you need to do?

Rob

frying_fish

Tue May 15, 2012 3:43 pm

rob_brum wrote:Once you have done your first build can you then just do

Git pull
and then

PROJECT=ION ARCH=i386 make release
or are there any other steps you need to do?

Rob

Well that wouldn't build one capable of working with the RPi.

PROJECT=RPi ARCH=arm make release
That will build and create a tarball of the release compatible with the RPi.

You would then need to extract the appropriate files from that tarball, to the RPi system partition (first partition), if it is just an updated build then that would be KERNEL -> kernel.img and SYSTEM. If it is a new build then you need the other bootloader related materials.

Hope that helps some.

rob_brum

Tue May 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Oops thanks, that was my bad copy and paste from the tutorial I did mean

PROJECT=Rpi ARCH=arm make release

frying_fish

Tue May 15, 2012 3:56 pm

rob_brum wrote:Oops thanks, that was my bad copy and paste from the tutorial I did mean

PROJECT=Rpi ARCH=arm make release
Make sure you have the correct case as it is case sensitive.

git pull

You should be good with that.

humla

Tue May 15, 2012 4:05 pm

milhouse wrote:
Hansel wrote: Any idea what's going on with the build issues? Problem at my end or in the repo?
r10977 just built cleanly for me.
try

make clean
git pull

sraue

Tue May 15, 2012 4:07 pm

frying_fish wrote: Make sure you have the correct case as it is case sensitive.

git pull

and you *must* delete the build.* folder before doing the make:

rm -rf build.*

humla

Tue May 15, 2012 4:18 pm

sraue wrote:
frying_fish wrote: Make sure you have the correct case as it is case sensitive.

git pull

and you *must* delete the build.* folder before doing the make:

rm -rf build.*
and compile everything again?
Surely we can reuse the object files of stuff that didnt change?

sraue

Tue May 15, 2012 4:24 pm

humla wrote:
sraue wrote: and you *must* delete the build.* folder before doing the make:

rm -rf build.*
and compile everything again?
Surely we can reuse the object files of stuff that didnt change?
unless you dont follow our commits exactly and really know what they does you should build from scratch.

rey

Tue May 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Anyone having issues with some 5.1 audio sounding almost robotic and the voices being superquiet?

welshblob

Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 pm

rey wrote:Anyone having issues with some 5.1 audio sounding almost robotic and the voices being superquiet?
Yes. I'm just trying to output stereo though via HDMI but the source is 5.1. I'm assuming the downmix isn't working correctly or maybe the cpu is maxed out? It didn't happen on another 5.1 video I had though.

LastSilmaril

Tue May 15, 2012 8:06 pm

My build of r10995:
http://db.tt/FL0puzes

arqcan

Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi all great work on all the builds so far, i'm loving reading all of the progress that's been made. I'm not sure if its just me but i can't get any of the builds to import any of my pre-existing media libraries. whenever i try it lets me go the the path of the backup and when i press 'OK' it just goes back to the previous menu with no action. Is there a trick i'm missing or is it just really hit an miss?

humla

Tue May 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Release r10995 without
- DVD CSS
- Bluray
- Bluetooth
- AFP
- Samba
- SFTP server
- HFS tools
- Joystick support
- iSCSI support
- WLAN support

System size = 59 MB
Kernel size = 11 MB
Link -> http://www.mediafire.com/?mshwbc4vmv8m0w5
MD5 = 6937ddd98ccb6724347bc59e40885a2f OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel-20120515210627-r10995.tar.bz2

Hansel

Tue May 15, 2012 8:43 pm

humla wrote:
milhouse wrote:
Hansel wrote: Any idea what's going on with the build issues? Problem at my end or in the repo?
try

make clean
git pull
Unfortunately I've tried that. I've also tried completely deleting the OpenELEC.tv folder and re-cloning from scratch. Always the same error.

Very odd as I've built loads of images using this VM, and nothing has changed (aside from making sure everything is up to date). I always now get the same error. :(

humla

Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Hansel wrote:
humla wrote:
milhouse wrote:
try

make clean
git pull
Unfortunately I've tried that. I've also tried completely deleting the OpenELEC.tv folder and re-cloning from scratch. Always the same error.

Very odd as I've built loads of images using this VM, and nothing has changed (aside from making sure everything is up to date). I always now get the same error. :(
Can u try going here -> https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/commits/master and getting the SHA of the last working version (the hex numbers on the right). They are sorted by date.

Then go into your Openelec folder and enter

git checkout <SHA code> 
Then try building.

Hansel

Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 pm

humla wrote:
Hansel wrote:
humla wrote:
try

make clean
git pull

Can u try going here -> https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/commits/master and getting the SHA of the last working version (the hex numbers on the right). They are sorted by date.

Then go into your Openelec folder and enter

git checkout <SHA code> 
Then try building.
Sure. I'm not 100% sure which was the last working commit (for me), but I'll try 89d137cfbd33c27e0eb63647a01d7505f831a239 for starters.

I'll let you know ;)

arun

Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Hello,

am I the only one with about 85% CPU usage in XBMC Menu?

I have 10995 build and latest firmware in use.

Thanks for replay.

welshblob

Tue May 15, 2012 9:22 pm

arun wrote:Hello,

Thanks for replay.
No you are not alone. Try putting these settings in /storage/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

CPU usage will fluctuate but will generally be much lower when not a lot is going on on the menu. I'd also turn off the RSS feed as well.

arun

Tue May 15, 2012 9:26 pm

welshblob wrote:
arun wrote:Hello,

Thanks for replay.
No you are not alone. Try putting these settings in /storage/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

CPU usage will fluctuate but will generally be much lower when not a lot is going on on the menu. I'd also turn off the RSS feed as well.

Thanks! But there is no change for the CPU usage if I add this settings. Does anyone know whats the reason for this cpu usage?

welshblob

Tue May 15, 2012 9:51 pm

arun wrote:Thanks! But there is no change for the CPU usage if I add this settings. Does anyone know whats the reason for this cpu usage?
Have you rebooted and how are you checking for CPU usage as the only true way is to use top via an SSH session. The CPU usage is high as all the menus are rendered at up to 60fps which was ok when xbmc runs on PC spec machines or even the original xbox but its not very efficient on these low power devices. They added the dirty region options last year to reduce this CPU load so that it only processes those parts of the menus that are being updated.

Rob

arun

Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 pm

welshblob wrote:
arun wrote:Thanks! But there is no change for the CPU usage if I add this settings. Does anyone know whats the reason for this cpu usage?
Have you rebooted and how are you checking for CPU usage as the only true way is to use top via an SSH session. The CPU usage is high as all the menus are rendered at up to 60fps which was ok when xbmc runs on PC spec machines or even the original xbox but its not very efficient on these low power devices. They added the dirty region options last year to reduce this CPU load so that it only processes those parts of the menus that are being updated.

Rob
Yes, of course I have rebooted it. I have checked the CPU usage via the XBMC Log (left upper corner of TV) and the top in ssh. It's still about 85%. I have no idea why your settings do not work for me.

arun

Tue May 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Does anyone else get the following error on startup:

swapon: /storage/.cache/swapfile:read swap header failed: invalid argument
result=1

This message appears directly below the boot logo of openelec.

Maybe someone can help me?

Thanks.

LastSilmaril

Wed May 16, 2012 5:53 am

arun wrote: Yes, of course I have rebooted it. I have checked the CPU usage via the XBMC Log (left upper corner of TV) and the top in ssh. It's still about 85%. I have no idea why your settings do not work for me.
I've tried the settings too. At startup before I move anything, cpu is around 11%. But if I mouseover Movies or TV Shows, it shoots right back up to 85%+ after a slight pause where all the recently added videos are loaded, and then stays there as long as I mouseover. If I go back to something with no content to load on mouseover (Weather, Pictures, System) and hover over that, the CPU, after maybe half a minute, goes way back down.

OrbDemon

Wed May 16, 2012 6:49 am

Hi Guys - Looking for a little help here.

I tried downloading one of the builds - 10977 - and attempted to copy the kernel image and elf files over the one from the Debian image (19-04-2012). It booted to the splash screen and that was it.

So - I set up an Ubuntu 11.10 VM and attempted to build from source using the guides.

After manually installing many different required packages it seemed to be making good progress - until I get this error:

make  all-am
make[5]: Entering directory `/home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib'
/bin/bash ../libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=link /home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/bin/host-gcc -std=gnu99  -O2 -Wall -pipe -I/home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/include  -Wl,-rpath,/home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/lib -L/home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/toolchain/lib -o libcroco_rpl.la  libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-additional-sel.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-attr-sel.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-cascade.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-declaration.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-doc-handler.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-enc-handler.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-fonts.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-input.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-num.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-om-parser.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-parser.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-parsing-location.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-prop-list.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-pseudo.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-rgb.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-sel-eng.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-selector.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-simple-sel.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-statement.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-string.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-style.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-stylesheet.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-term.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-tknzr.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-token.lo libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-utils.lo  
libtool: link: `libcroco/libcroco_rpl_la-cr-additional-sel.lo' is not a valid libtool object
make[5]: *** [libcroco_rpl.la] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib'
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1/gettext-tools/gnulib-lib'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1/gettext-tools'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1/gettext-tools'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/orbdemon/OpenELEC.tv/build.OpenELEC-RPi.arm-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1'
make: *** [system] Error 2
Gettext seems to be fully up to date - but some of the libraries aren't linking...

Any pointers? Either for resolution and continuation of the build or for the pre-built cheat above? It's certainly a good learning exercise - I knew almost nothing about this stuff. :?

milhouse

Wed May 16, 2012 6:52 am

OrbDemon wrote: Any pointers? Either for resolution and continuation of the build or for the pre-built cheat above? It's certainly a good learning exercise - I knew almost nothing about this stuff. :?
Did you have a second ext4 partition on your Debian SD card?

Return to “Media centres”