Heater

Re: Raspberry Pi 2, the $45 mini computer.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:58 pm

But my point is that production needs to be increased.
Great idea.

Do recall that the original estimates of the Pi production run, in it's life time, was 10 thousand or so.

Since then, the foundation, it's suppliers and it's distributors have expanded operations to orders of magnitude more than that.

What makes you think they do not think about this?

I'm very sure that firing up a new production line is not a trivial task. They have done it before and can do it again if need be though.

And, what's with the "over priced" thing? The Pi is still one of the cheapest such machines you can buy.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Raspberry Pi 2, the $35 mini computer.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:24 pm

63854 wrote: It's great that the Pi is selling, the whole goal is to get them into as many people's hands as possible. But my point is that production needs to be increased. The foundation doesn't really gain anything with people buying from overpriced resellers. In fact, there would be more sold if there was stock always ready to ship at the base $35. I know, it's mostly a US thing to with the prices, but not enough people are given the chance here to buy one for the official $35 price due to low stock.
Last I heard (I asked Eben at the Maker Faire if my guess was correct, and he said it was) sales are over 6 million. In February, it was stated that production was running at 20K per day.

So far as I can tell, if the Sony factory wanted to increase the production rate, they'd have to add additional assembly lines. That would mean buying additional equipment. That in turn would mean that they would have to expect to have enough production orders over the life of that equipment to make a profit on the purchase and operation of that equipment.

The problem here is that no one really knows what the lifetime sales of the Pi are going to be. Every bit of plant expansion is a gamble. Gambles like that have to make it past the "bean counters", and group notorious for aversion to risk. The good news is that sales of Pis haven't shown any signs of slowing down...so far. The bad news is that some day it will. The trick is to figure out how much plant equipment can be paid for without adversely impacting profit before the sales flatten out.

Anybody got a working crystal ball?

Heater

Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:30 pm

Yes, as far as I can tell the Sony factory offered to make Pi because they had production lines idle following the death of old fashioned TV's and whatever in Wales.

Mequa

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:46 am

pluggy wrote:We spend enough time licking the **** of the Americans. I work in the IT industry and I manage to buy all my stuff in £s.

Sorry, I'm a grumpy old sod today and I was never endeared to the Yanks at the best of times.
If the Pi is popular enough in the States, they could always open a Pi factory there. Just a suggestion.

jbeale

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:23 am

In my experience, manufacture of very expensive stuff is sometimes still done in the USA, and some hand-crafted things, but not so often in the cheapest-on-the-market consumer electronics area!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:40 am

Mequa wrote:
pluggy wrote:We spend enough time licking the **** of the Americans. I work in the IT industry and I manage to buy all my stuff in £s.

Sorry, I'm a grumpy old sod today and I was never endeared to the Yanks at the best of times.
If the Pi is popular enough in the States, they could always open a Pi factory there. Just a suggestion.
It's a cost thing. I've been to the Wales factory - it's uses a LOT of very expensive equipment - including a large custom made test rig. I would think it's in the multi millions to add a Pi production line. Given the profit per pi to the manufacturer is only a few $ if that, you would need to make a hell of a lot before it was cost effective putting in another line, bearing in mind the line does use some hand assembly - so you also have employment of workers to consider, it's not all automated.

Also, add on component availability. Brcm have to make the SoC's to supply the lines, there may also be constraints there.

I think 20k per day is quite an impressive production capacity tbh.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DougieLawson

Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:45 am

jbeale wrote:In my experience, manufacture of very expensive stuff is sometimes still done in the USA, and some hand-crafted things, but not so often in the cheapest-on-the-market consumer electronics area!
Some of the World's most expensive computers are manufactured at Poughkeepsie, NY. I've been in Bldg 008 where they do that stuff.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:26 pm

63854 wrote:
jamesh wrote:As far as I know, production is still running at maximum, so any availability issues are just down to demand. Which is pretty cool really - means the Pi2 is selling like hot cakes, and is still selling like hot cakes after some months. I suspect Eben is quite pleased.
It's great that the Pi is selling, the whole goal is to get them into as many people's hands as possible. But my point is that production needs to be increased. The foundation doesn't really gain anything with people buying from overpriced resellers. In fact, there would be more sold if there was stock always ready to ship at the base $35. I know, it's mostly a US thing to with the prices, but not enough people are given the chance here to buy one for the official $35 price due to low stock.
I think you have missed an important point here that, for some reason because it has been discussed many, many times, is that the $35 price is without any local taxes or delivery, or tax on delivery, handling charge etc. So unless you don't require to pay tax, the supplier is able to waver any handling charge and there is no delivery charge, you will never get it at $35 (unless there is a sale on).
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

solar3000

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:07 pm

I bought 3 of them at a local store for $29.99 each + tax.
I bought 2 of them from newark element14 for $35x2 + $5 shipping.
Antikythera

solar3000

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:10 pm

BTW THIS is a minicomputer:

Attachments
220px-ESO_Hewlett_Packard_2116_minicomputer.jpg
220px-ESO_Hewlett_Packard_2116_minicomputer.jpg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Antikythera

solar3000

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:15 pm

THIS monster is a microcomputer:

Attachments
wang.jpg
wang.jpg (38.71 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Last edited by solar3000 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antikythera

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:16 pm

solar3000 wrote:THIS monster is a microcomputer:
..so big I can't see the wood for the trees :o

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

jamesh

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Wang. Snigger.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

solar3000

Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:37 pm

jamesh wrote:Wang. Snigger.

pfff you said the 's' word.
Antikythera

Mr.Pi

Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:56 pm

√-1 8 ∑ ∏. The flavor was raspberry

Return to “General discussion”