eriktheitalian

Need wysiwyg or similar alternative html page editor.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:23 pm

Hello everybody.

I need wysiwyg or similar alternative web html editor. I'm not search dreamweaver or frontpage capability. Not notepad or notepad like editor. I need advice for possible applications.
I cant using enough English language. My writings can be wrong grammer.$
"in micro$oft we not trust"

troombatzia

Re: Need wysiwyg or similar alternative html page editor.

Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:28 pm

I think that erik is searching for something like Seamonkey composer.

If so I installed iceape suite on Raspberry 2 and Raspian.

sudo apt-get install iceape.

It takes a little to load but it works fine and you have a wysiwyg
html editor.

Sorry if I did not understand.
2015-06-20-192628_583x257_scrot.png
2015-06-20-192628_583x257_scrot.png (23.03 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
English isn’t my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

bust

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:53 pm

Hi

You have also bluefish package that is specifically appropriated
to the task that you want make.

On jessie it's Package: bluefish (2.2.6-2)
(He use gtk3)

On wheezy it's Package: bluefish (2.2.3-4)
(He seem also use gtk3)

probably it's very different of your reference for equivalence supposed but
he seem working very well.

My opinion, the more effective could be you wrote your sources manually on a simple editor.

Regards

Heater

Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:17 am

It' a much better idea to write your HTML/CSSJavaScript in a normal text editor. Even vim has syntax highlighting for all of those and many more languages besides. You will no doubt find an editor you like.

Then arrange a "watch" system that causes your code to be reloaded into a browser whenever you save a change to a file within it. Thus enabling you to see all your changes in real time in a real browser.

webpack is a good way to do this: http://webpack.github.io/

Tom_A

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:19 am

eriktheitalian wrote:Hello everybody.

I need wysiwyg or similar alternative web html editor. I'm not search dreamweaver or frontpage capability. Not notepad or notepad like editor. I need advice for possible applications.
Have to agree with other posters here. You're going to want to learn how to do this in a text editor like genie, especially with css queries becoming the preferred way to make sites mobile.

Douglas6

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:58 am

My two cents. I doubt there is a successful company using vim or notepad to create html. OK for hobbyists, but in the real world, not so much.

fruit-uk

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:59 am

Perhaps that's why so many companies have poor or broken websites ;)

DougieLawson

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 am

fruit-uk wrote:Perhaps that's why so many companies have poor or broken websites ;)
My youngest son (now 15) was writing HTML with a text editor five years ago. He created some weird stuff but got his web site to work. Knowing the basics before you use the GUI is much better than simply trusting the bloated stuff that comes out of those things. There's a lot of bad web sites that have been generated by bad editors (Dreamweaver anyone?) or awful CMS systems (Wordpress? Joomla?)
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Tom_A

Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:09 am

DougieLawson wrote:
fruit-uk wrote:Perhaps that's why so many companies have poor or broken websites ;)
My youngest son (now 15) was writing HTML with a text editor five years ago. He created some weird stuff but got his web site to work. Knowing the basics before you use the GUI is much better than simply trusting the bloated stuff that comes out of those things. There's a lot of bad web sites that have been generated by bad editors (Dreamweaver anyone?) or awful CMS systems (Wordpress? Joomla?)
Hey, Isn't the Raspberry Pi website running wordpress?? :)
Thing is, even in you want to use Wordpress, if you want to have a unique looking site, you're going to have to create or edit the theme using a text editor. Notepad would not be my recommendation for editing HTML and CSS. Genie isn't too bad on the Pi. I used IntelliJ IDEA to create a portfolio website demonstrating some of the skills I have. It has a blackjack game hidden behind it. The site was entirely written in a text editor. http://blackjack.technicallytom.com

I think you'd be surprised to discover how much does get written by hand. WYSIWYG web editors tend to be sloppy. They sometimes write unnecessary code, creating pages that do no load as fast as they should be able to load. I can still remember how bad iWeb was. Sure the sites looked nice, but they were limited to a handful of themes, and iWeb liked to make your image files larger than they needed to be to display nicely. I should mention that the page does not render properly on most if not all of the Raspberry Pi's browsers due to none of the browsers supporting calc in CSS. The sight displays correctly though in Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and recent version of Mobile Safari. I need to go back and throw in some alternative CSS to take care of those situations still.

Heater

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:33 pm

Douglas6

My two cents are the opposite view:
I doubt there is a successful company using vim or notepad to create html.
My observation is that nobody is using WYSIWIG HTML editors. Never seen it done anywhere.

In the last year I must have watched a hundred videos on YouTube related to WEB development. HTML5 tutorials, presentations on JavaScript development, JS user interface libraries like Angular, React, D3, Three.js etc, etc. None of those speakers was using Windows, so guess you are right about nobody using notepad :) They were however using text editors like Sublime Text, Atom, vim, emacs.

As for successful companies I think you will find they especially don't use WYSIWIG tools. In fact they have so much dynamically generated content it would make little sense. Google has Angular, Facebook has React, Yahoo has YUI, no idea about Amazon, ebay and so on but you get the idea.

WYSIWYG may have it's place for throwing up a ton of static content. But even there people are using blogging packages and so on.
OK for hobbyists, but in the real world, not so much.
I have dealt with the "real world" above. As for hobbyists, well, a hobbyist working on a Pi would be well served by vim or some such text editor. The Pi is not as fast as a PC or Mac and has a lot less memory.

So who does use things like seamonkey?

PeterO

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:39 pm

I use Bluefish. But then my website is a collection of static pages with only a few links between them.
It's simple, straightforward, and I can get the layout that I want/like.

PeterO

PS: I don't care about mobile users. :lol:
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Mequa

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:35 am

DougieLawson wrote:There's a lot of bad web sites that have been generated by bad editors (Dreamweaver anyone?) or awful CMS systems (Wordpress? Joomla?)
Surely for dreadful HTML output you cannot beat Microsoft Word. :D

DougieLawson

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:39 am

Mequa wrote: Surely for dreadful HTML output you cannot beat Microsoft Word. :D
I wouldn't know. I've never thought of using MS Word to do that. I've been hand coding HTML since the early 1990s (it helped having a background in marking things up with DCF/GML on the mainframe).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Raspbian”