lazarus78

Fresh install GUI problems

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:12 pm

I have a fresh install of Raspbian (7.8) on a Pi2. My issue is when I go to the desktop GUI, the taskbar on the top of the screen keeps flickering in and out. The trash bin is moving up and down so it appears as though the taskbar is popping in and out itself. I left it there thinking maybe it was just struggling to load up and it would resolve itself, but it ended up crapping the SD card and getting messages saying it was read only.

I'm not sure what to do here. Ive tried a brand new, out of the box SD card and Pi all together.

It seems all too fishy that ive been having so much trouble getting a stable Pi to function recently when I have 9 that have worked flawlessly for over 2 years. Ugg, this is frustrating.

AndyD

Re: Fresh install GUI problems

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:45 pm

There have been other reports that sound similar to your experience. The reports I have seen have to do with using the desktop with a newly created user, other than the pi user. If you have created a new user, make add the user to all the groups that the pi user belongs to, other than the pi group.

lazarus78

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 am

Weird... Ill give that a try.Good to know Im not entirly alone and perhaps this accounts for some of my past problems. Hopefully so cus I really need these raspberries to work out, else Ill have to switch over to something like the Intel Compute Stick for my needs.

AndyD

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:23 am

Have a look at this thread. It appears the problem has been narrowed down.

lazarus78

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:58 pm

Thank you. This seems to have solved it.

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G audio your_user

rocker777

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:22 am

Hi all. I see alot of posts about this and not sure which is the central one so I'll try post my solution on all of them. I had the same issue but with the pi user itself. audio and video groups were already valid so none of the solutions above helped. Found this link: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=685955 which basically says "libasound2-plugin-equal: alsaequal requires ~/.asoundrc to work". Created the file and it solved my issue.

Return to “Beginners”