Micha1982

Epiphany Youtube problem

Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:42 am

After I installed iceweasel, gnash, Emulationstation, Kodi and some other stuff I recognized a problem with Epiphany (and Iceweasel, too - but don't know if that belongs to the same issue) -

it does not play correct anymore if on yt...the video plays - but in front of it there still is its red start-button?! :shock:
I cannot click it, also the control-bar at the bottom of it which disappears after 1 Second...

Is it maybe a problem caused by Gnash?

In Iceweasel everything seems fine except stuttering and slowdown - when I remember right, everything with both browsers was fine on my first try - how can I figure out whats going on and get Yt back to work correct?

I already removed epiphany through apt-get remove and reinstalled with install, no change. Any ideas?

The control-bar is unclickable, too...it looks like the videos are covered by a 'unclickable layer'/two 2different players the same time...
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

expandables

Re: Epiphany Youtube problem

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 am

Use kodi or your regular PC to browse youtube
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

Micha1982

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:28 am

It worked already and it seems I did something wrong -
so simply not use it anymore and use another thing is a not so good idea in my opinion...

I am more interested to find out why I can't click play anymore, what happened (to avoid maybe next time) - and to get things working as they should back again.

Any ideas how to fix/ find out whats going on?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:54 am

Micha1982 wrote:It worked already and it seems I did something wrong -
so simply not use it anymore and use another thing is a not so good idea in my opinion...

I am more interested to find out why I can't click play anymore, what happened (to avoid maybe next time) - and to get things working as they should back again.

Any ideas how to fix/ find out whats going on?
Remove gnash it is outdated, obsolete and not required, by default Youtube defaults to HTML5 Video.

Forget Flash ever existed it is not natively supported.

A better experience is kweb browser viewtopic.php?t=40860

IMO fresh install Raspbian (without NOOBS) to get back to a known working Operating System..
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Micha1982

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:40 am

It is a fresh install....(got my Pi2 5 days ago)

I'll try to uninstall Gnash and have a look if it changes something.

Edit: I removed the browser-plugin (apt-get remove) and gnash, after that I did 'autoremove -f' -
without changes: I still see that unclickable red play-button in front of the videos on yt when trying with Epiphany.

And no, using a third browser or any other program could not be a solution -
so what can I do to fix it? How to find out what happened? Doing another hours-taking fresh install maybe lead to the same problem if I will not investigate it a bit before.

Micha1982

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:55 pm

I did a fresh install of Raspbian ( 2015-05-05) on another sdcard -
same issue with Epiphany, it does not work.

Don´t know how I came to the idea it worked ~3 days ago...maybe I used another tube-page or Iceweasel.

Hopefully it will get fixed soon....

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:04 pm

Micha1982 wrote:I did a fresh install of Raspbian ( 2015-05-05) on another sdcard -
same issue with Epiphany, it does not work.

Don´t know how I came to the idea it worked ~3 days ago...maybe I used another tube-page or Iceweasel.

Hopefully it will get fixed soon....
Have you ensured Youtube is defaulted to HTML5

https://www.youtube.com/html5

..but this forum is littered with YT issues, hence why suggested kweb ;)
adieu

amj441

Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:30 am

I can confirm that youtube used to work in epiphany by default, but it was with an older image. I had a copy of rasbian like 2 months back and youtube would load and work, the only downside was the videos were very blurry when in fullscreen.

but when I toyed around with a wifi adapter I have trying to compile the "unsupported" drivers for it I did many updates and ended up updated to the current image in which the youtube play button is stuck.

(dont take this this personally) When someone or I is looking on how to fix youtube on epiphany, please dont recommend me another browser, I wanna fix the one I have. :evil:

that aside, it seems like the playback function is fine but it has a problem with focusing the video, like when the play button is pressed the control bar at the bottom appears and shows play volume fullscreen, but then when the actual video starts playing it re-focuses to the play button and will not allow mouse interaction. :? :?

SimPiko

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:49 am

looks like youtube dumped old thumbnail api for good

here's console log from trying to obtain yt thumbnails:

Code: Select all

** Message: console message: file:///usr/share/epiphany-browser/hack-video-embed.js @437: SyntaxError: JSON Parse error: Unrecognized token '<'
... and after clicking play button

** Message: console message: file:///usr/share/epiphany-browser/hack-video-embed.js @193: TypeError: null is not an object (evaluating 'this.poster.style')
here's my temporary fix for Epiphany/Web until something official shows up https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4gg8e85qsjd0 ... ed.js?dl=0
Copy that patched"hack-video-embed.js" as root into "/usr/share/epiphany-browser" (don't forget about back-uping original file, just in case :P )

Basicly, I commented out that part where thumbnail obtained from yt v2 api was parsed (and thus breaking function, which was hiding layer with play button) and forced to use fallback thumbnail.

(sorry for engrish)

mob-i-l

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Thanks! This worked for me.

curl -Lo hack-video-embed.js https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4gg8e85qsjd0qz/hack-video-embed.js?dl=0
sudo mv /usr/share/epiphany-browser/hack-video-embed.js /usr/share/epiphany-browser/hack-video-embed.js.org
sudo mv hack-video-embed.js /usr/share/epiphany-browser/
Raspberry Pi0&1A&1B2&1B+&2B&3B w/ Raspbian. Started w/ BASIC on ABC80&ZX81 then Forth, Z80… https://scratch.mit.edu/users/mobluse/ https://github.com/mobluse/ https://twitter.com/mobluse/ https://YouTube.com/MOBiL4u/

ThomasS

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:02 pm

You could always download Chromium. Pepperflash can then be installed viewtopic.php?t=99202
ThomasS

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:34 pm

ThomasS wrote:You could always download Chromium. Pepperflash can then be installed viewtopic.php?t=99202
...but only if you have a RPi 2 B ;)
adieu

tpylkko

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:37 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
ThomasS wrote:You could always download Chromium. Pepperflash can then be installed viewtopic.php?t=99202
...but only if you have a RPi 2 B ;)
..and only if you are going to look at non-HD videos (like 480p) and don't have a problem with cpu usage almost maxing whilst.

Micha1982

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:38 pm

A Google-browser? No, thanks ;)

Micha1982

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Kiosk (GTK3) does completely fail - at first yt tells me its outdated, furthermore it does completely refuse to play anything, not even any preview is shown - no matter if I change to html5 or not.

Don't know whats going on with Epiphany - it simply does not work.
Video is unusable, even if I change to html5 - no change, I can't use the buttons, looks defect.

It seems to be fast - but I can't press any buttons, it looks like it is running 2 players at once and one of them overlapping the other...not sure, but I cannot press any button.

However, Iceweasel has by far the best functionality/is the best configurable browser and is the one I use most of the time. It plays video now, too (only yt seems to work), fullscreen does crash (blackscreen and if I minimize again it plays sound - seems to run in background but without displaying video, only closeable through taskmanager), but windowed it works almost fine and smooth.

Epiphany seems to play youtube-vids a bit faster - but as said, the buttons does not work.

gkreidl

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Micha1982 wrote:Kiosk (GTK3) does completely fail - at first yt tells me its outdated, furthermore it does completely refuse to play anything, not even any preview is shown - no matter if I change to html5 or not.
If kweb3 doesn't play (HTML5) video inside the browser window, you simply forgot to enable Javascript. In fact, it does not suffer from the current youtube problems of epiphany.

For the other method (playing web video including many websites using flash only with omxplayerGUI) you need a working version of youtube-dl. The manual explains two different methods how to install it.

But obviously you don't read manuals.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Micha1982

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:41 pm

You're right :mrgreen:

Maybe I should play - errrr - read - a bit more in the Kiosk-thread... but now it plays a vid.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:44 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Micha1982 wrote:Kiosk (GTK3) does completely fail - at first yt tells me its outdated, furthermore it does completely refuse to play anything, not even any preview is shown - no matter if I change to html5 or not.
If kweb3 doesn't play (HTML5) video inside the browser window, you simply forgot to enable Javascript. In fact, it does not suffer from the current youtube problems of epiphany.

For the other method (playing web video including many websites using flash only with omxplayerGUI) you need a working version of youtube-dl. The manual explains two different methods how to install it.

But obviously you don't read manuals.
Yep advised kweb 8th June, ah well got there in the end :roll:
adieu

mob-i-l

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:06 pm

gkreidl wrote:

Does kweb3 support streaming videos or does it have to download the whole video? If you watch long videos you might run out of diskspace if they have to be stored.
Raspberry Pi0&1A&1B2&1B+&2B&3B w/ Raspbian. Started w/ BASIC on ABC80&ZX81 then Forth, Z80… https://scratch.mit.edu/users/mobluse/ https://github.com/mobluse/ https://twitter.com/mobluse/ https://YouTube.com/MOBiL4u/

kusti8

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:08 pm

When you click on a YouTube video in kweb, youtube-dl first extracts the stream, and then omxplayer plays from that stream, it does not download it, although I'm not sure if it stores the stream in a temporary directory or RAM, although I'm guessing the former.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

gkreidl

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:48 am

kusti8 wrote:When you click on a YouTube video in kweb, youtube-dl first extracts the stream, and then omxplayer plays from that stream, it does not download it, although I'm not sure if it stores the stream in a temporary directory or RAM, although I'm guessing the former.
Nothing is stored and not even a FIFO is used: omxplayer(GUI) plays the stream directly from the URL (buffering a bit in RAM, as all video players do).
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

SiriusHardware

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Problem: Fresh installed Raspbian 2015-05-05 on a microSD card and put it into my Pi B+ (Not a Pi 2). This was my first tryout of a new Raspbian distro since the switch from Midori to Epiphany.

Doing basic browser checks I went to Youtube and tried viewing a Youtube video. Although it basically worked the 'white arrow on red button' play button remained welded in place over the video area throughout playback and the progress bar / transport controls, briefly visible just after clicking play, became invisible and inaccessable until the video had finished playing.

Update / Upgrade on 25th September 2015 still did not fix the problem - therefore, my thanks to Sim Piko for his fix in post #9 of this thread and mob-i-l for clarifying the process of applying Sim's Patch in post #10. It worked for me too.

Time this fix was in the repos?

gkreidl

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:56 am

I don't think that we will see any more bug fixes for the Wheezy version. All the current work seems to go into the Jessie version.

SiriusHardware

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:44 pm

I'm a little bit out of the loop at the moment so I didn't know that Wheezy had been superceded by Jessie - I take it that the next official Raspbian image, whenever it launches, will be a 'Jessie' image, then, not a Wheezy image?

This play button bug, if I understand it correctly, arises because of something which Youtube changed which broke the way things were handled (and are still handled) in the current Raspbian-with-Epiphany release.

I hope this has been noticed and will be fixed to work Out-Of-The-Box in the first Jessie release, otherwise it undermines a lot of the good work that was done in bringing Epiphany to Raspbian in the first place.

kusti8

Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:51 pm

SiriusHardware wrote:I'm a little bit out of the loop at the moment so I didn't know that Wheezy had been superceded by Jessie - I take it that the next official Raspbian image, whenever it launches, will be a 'Jessie' image, then, not a Wheezy image?

This play button bug, if I understand it correctly, arises because of something which Youtube changed which broke the way things were handled (and are still handled) in the current Raspbian-with-Epiphany release.

I hope this has been noticed and will be fixed to work Out-Of-The-Box in the first Jessie release, otherwise it undermines a lot of the good work that was done in bringing Epiphany to Raspbian in the first place.
For Raspbian, it hasn't officially, and there are still a few bugs, so Wheezy is still stable. I'm not sure if the very next image is going to be Jessie, but Jessie will be coming sometime.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Raspbian”