waveform80

Announcement: picraft 0.5

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:05 pm

Edit
Picraft 0.5 is the current release. We now return you to the original post...

Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such educational films as "picamera - how to use your camera without learning C" and "compoundpi - how to use lots of cameras ... without learning C". Tonight I'm going to tell you about picraft; yet another unimaginatively named project from the mind of Dave Jones.

Have you ever watched your kids coding something in Minecraft and thought "hey, that looks a lot like Java" and then thought "eww ... that looks a lot like Java"? Well, now there's an alternative library that your kids can use to control their favourite Java-based game.

But seriously folks, "picraft" is a pythonic library for controlling the Minecraft environment. It implements all your favourite "methods" and even has a few "properties" too. It comes with extensive, and not at all condescending "documentation", and even has a "bug tracker" which you can use to whinge at the author if/when you feel like he's not taking you seriously.

So, if you fancy spending your weekend re-writing Minecraft code to do exactly the same thing in a completely different way, give "picraft" a try!

DISCLAIMER (to be read as fast as possible): May cause Minecraft scripts to run slower or crash completely depending on the competence of conversion. Not currently available on Raspbian, despite docs claims to the contrary; installation via pip or github required. May cause addiction, temporary blindness or insanity. Seek expert advice in case of contact with eyes.

Dave ... er, I mean, Troy.

Translation for the those who don't get the Simpson's reference: picraft 0.2 is out on PyPI only at the moment; it's alpha quality so don't expect it to be bug free or even particularly great - the docs are incomplete (I need to add a bunch more recipes and finish some of the chapters), but in the "release early, release often" spirit, here we are. If you're a Minecraft coding enthusiast I'd love to hear your thoughts on it (particularly if you've actually tried it ;)
Last edited by waveform80 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

waveform80

Re: Announcement: picraft 0.2

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:57 pm

Well, as befits an alpha release there was a major bug in 0.1 which prevented the PyPI install from working (namely: Dave can't even spell the project's name correctly in the MANIFEST file); although the GitHub/venv install still worked.

That should now be fixed along with a few other bugs and 0.2 should be available from PyPI any minute now. Still need to add a load more recipes though!

Dave.

waveform80

Re: Announcement: picraft 0.4

Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Picraft 0.4 is now released and with a bit of luck some Raspbian packages might appear for it in the near future. There's a bunch of new functionality, the most important of which is the new event driven programming stuff. This allows you to forget about running your own event loop and delegate that stuff to picraft. Then you just "decorate" functions to tell picraft when to call them (e.g. call this function whenever the block at V is hit, call this function whenever the player moves within these blocks, etc.)

As always, suggestions, criticisms, bug reports welcome! Stick 'em on GitHub and I'll get to them as soon as I get a chance!

Dave.

waveform80

Re: Announcement: picraft 0.5

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Picraft 0.5 is now released and should be hitting the Raspbian repositories within a few days. The most important new functionality this time is filled polygons and full-blown model rendering (from parsed .obj files). The latter includes some nifty tricks including material mapping by name (default), by dict, and by callable. Like most of the other drawing routines in picraft this one again doesn't actually draw anything - just returns the state as a dict for you to render (however you want to do that). The docs have been expanded again - the number of recipes is still a bit lacking, but I'm too busy with the coding at the moment. If anyone wants to jump in and contribute recipes I'd be more than happy to take PRs or even just an e-mail with code!

As always, suggestions, criticisms, bug reports welcome! Stick 'em on GitHub and I'll get to them as soon as I get a chance!

Dave.

Return to “Gaming”