hippy

Re: Windows 10 SD Image download

Sat May 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Starstruck wrote:I do however agree with the original concept of having this as an image rather than having to go thru the install process. It seems more efficient to me that rather than have thousands of people creating images and burning time when they could release an image and then your done. Maybe that will come in the future.
I absolutely agree. I don't see why a downloadable image could not be made available, don't see why anyone has to sign-up for anything, don't see why it is restricted to the Pi 2, or was intended to require Windows 10 desktop OS and tools to be installed to use it.

But it's Microsoft's baby and if they want to set high barriers to Windows 10 IoT entry or make people jump through hoops to use it they have the right to. The only thing we can do is tell them what we like and what we don't, why we are walking away or why we are not happy with the way things are. That might bring change or it might not.

It is early days yet so things may well change and, as more people use Windows 10 IoT, the community may find ways to do things which Microsoft do not or will not provide for. We will have to wait and see.

At the proverbial end of the day; if people don't like what Microsoft insist upon that will be Microsoft's loss so it's in their interest to engage with the community they wish to see using Windows 10 IoT.

ame

Sat May 30, 2015 1:39 pm

hippy wrote:The only thing we can do is tell them what we like and what we don't, why we are walking away or why we are not happy with the way things are.
Except that we can't. Messages critical of Microsoft or their way of working seem to vanish.

panik

Sat May 30, 2015 1:44 pm

slate_dk wrote:Some misinformation in this thread.

What we have is: Windows 10 IoT for small devices
- free for makers and commercial device builders.
- it have the option to run one Universal app at a time; but can run multiple non-gui applications (well I expect it too)

There are two larger versions of Windows 10 IoT... which you have to buy.
According to this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9099/micr ... 0-iot-skus
the middle tier: Windows 10 IoT for mobile devices is also for ARM; will it run on a Pi2?
Thanks for that link. Those system specs don't make sense. I'm really wondering why Microsoft chooses application processors (like the Pi) for their IoT solution. Especially if they just run 'a single app'.

The examples for the Raspberry Pi (http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/w ... Coding.htm) should easily run natively on a < $5.- esp8266 for example. What are they going to do on the 'industry devices' tier?
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

DougieLawson

Sat May 30, 2015 1:49 pm

ame wrote:
hippy wrote:The only thing we can do is tell them what we like and what we don't, why we are walking away or why we are not happy with the way things are.
Except that we can't. Messages critical of Microsoft or their way of working seem to vanish.
Messages that are critical of Microsoft aren't wanted and should be deleted, as per JamesH's rules for this subforum.

There's no law that says you MUST use Microsoft's Win10 IoT stuff.
There's no law that says you MUST write your hatred of Microsoft on this part of the forum.
There's no law that says you MUST read this part of the forum.

If you're not interested in Win10 IoT ignore it, stick with Linux and leave it for the folks who are interested. This constant whinging is a pointless waste of time.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Joe Schmoe

Sat May 30, 2015 1:54 pm

This constant whinging is a pointless waste of time...
You're digging my sig, aren't ya?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

hippy

Sat May 30, 2015 2:05 pm

ame wrote:
I don't think that is true, though I will admit that I haven't seen all that has subsequently been deleted and flushed.

In the cases I have witnessed it hasn't been what I would call legitimate or constructive criticism of the technology, tools or processes, but disparaging criticism of IoT, Windows 10 IoT, Microsoft, or the Foundation's partnering with Microsoft, which has been removed. What I have seen removed has not been "what I don't like about Windows 10 IoT" but unsupported assertions that people should not like anything about it, should have nothing to do with it.

There may be a place for "Micro$haft is EVIL" debate [sic], but it's not here.

GerritV

Sat May 30, 2015 2:14 pm

hippy wrote: I absolutely agree. I don't see why a downloadable image could not be made available, don't see why anyone has to sign-up for anything, don't see why it is restricted to the Pi 2, or was intended to require Windows 10 desktop OS and tools to be installed to use it.
I installed Rapsbian by... gasp: you guessed it, download a file, use a specific tool to write that file in correct way to an SD card. Same steps, different tools. If people could read and comprehend simple instructions then (with a very few exceptions) those multitude of threads on 'help me I can't write the image' wouldn't exist.
You need to sign up because it is pre-release of commercial software. You are getting to use this many months before release. And as you indicate, you get to potentially influence the end product. Enjoy it, you won't get that opportunity with other vendors. The SW comes from that litigation-haven, the USA. As with all software (commercial and foss), there are plenty of things to read in the license that limit liability.

It isn't restricted to Pi 2, it also runs on several other boards. (x86 & Arm8) and more to come..

You don't need Windows 10, this all works fine on Windows 7 and 8/8.1. Perhaps you can run dism.exe under Wine or Mono on Raspbian. And if you really don't want to use Windows at all on the host, use the command line .Net compiler tools (which are now open source) to build programs in several languages,( The IoT Core SDK isn't even tied to VS2015 ) use an SSH session to get a prompt and go to \windows\system32\ to find powershell.exe to make settings changes etc. You can edit the Registry from that as well. FTP (not TLS but maybe it is possible to config that?) is running so you don't need VS2015 to upload the code to the device. Or you can upload using the http Webb interface provided.

So potentially even Heater won't have to cough up $100 except of course to get into the Pi world in the first place. :-)

hippy

Sat May 30, 2015 2:17 pm

panik wrote:
slate_dk wrote:There are two larger versions of Windows 10 IoT... which you have to buy.
According to this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9099/micr ... 0-iot-skus
the middle tier: Windows 10 IoT for mobile devices is also for ARM; will it run on a Pi2?
Thanks for that link. Those system specs don't make sense. I'm really wondering why Microsoft chooses application processors (like the Pi) for their IoT solution. Especially if they just run 'a single app'.
I suspect it was a case of Microsoft dividing the Windows IoT infrastructure into three layers, then looking to see what could support those layers. The Pi is cheap, ubiquitous and readily available, even though it is not ideally suited as an IoT end-device; having rather high current consumption, lacking low-power and power-managed modes one would expect in IoT end-devices.

I may be wrong but I am not convinced Microsoft see the Pi as an IoT end-device in itself but it is an ideal platform for developing and experimenting with IoT end-device code.

GerritV

Sat May 30, 2015 2:48 pm

hippy wrote:
I may be wrong but I am not convinced Microsoft see the Pi as an IoT end-device in itself but it is an ideal platform for developing and experimenting with IoT end-device code.
I think they mention in multiple places that the Pi as a target is for makers and hobbyists. The SD-as-a-main-drive is enough to prevent its use in a 'serious' setting as in commercial etc. I hope to figure out how to boot WinIoT via SD-then-SSD in the near future. The ICD tool probably holds the key to that.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 30, 2015 3:17 pm

GerritV wrote:
hippy wrote:
I think they mention in multiple places that the Pi as a target is for makers and hobbyists. The SD-as-a-main-drive is enough to prevent its use in a 'serious' setting as in commercial etc. I hope to figure out how to boot WinIoT via SD-then-SSD in the near future. The ICD tool probably holds the key to that.
I was under the impression that the RPi was essentially a development Platform to test App compatibilty on the ARM Platform ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Heater

Sat May 30, 2015 4:19 pm

GerritV,
You don't need Windows 10... SSH session...FTP...So potentially even Heater won't have to cough up $100 except of course to get into the Pi world in the first place.
I'm listening.

I'm a bit stunned that anyone is still using FTP, I have not seen that in over a decade, especially since they have SSH on there.

It all seems a bit long winded so I'll not be trying out that installation route any time soon.

Just now I'm having fun trying out deploying code to my fleet of Pi and other boards remotely via resin.io https://resin.io/

Edit: Whist I do understand the desire to keep the forum civil I cannot agree with the idea of banishing all negative comments about the subject of this forum subsection. This is a technology like any other, like the languages that are discussed in a neighbouring subsection, there should not be any issue with pointing out the downsides of any technology. Assuming that the critique is based on facts.

panik

Sat May 30, 2015 6:23 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:I was under the impression that the RPi was essentially a development Platform to test App compatibilty on the ARM Platform ;)
It would have made more sense to port Windows RT to the Raspberry Pi if that was the goal. I would actually give that a try if it weren't dead and abandoned.

Now I'm wondering how long "Windows IoT" is going to last.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 30, 2015 6:54 pm

panik wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:I was under the impression that the RPi was essentially a development Platform to test App compatibilty on the ARM Platform ;)
It would have made more sense to port Windows RT to the Raspberry Pi if that was the goal. I would actually give that a try if it weren't dead and abandoned.

Now I'm wondering how long "Windows IoT" is going to last.
Microsft would have had to upgrade the ARM RT Kernel, obviously felt the time and effort
for a slow selling product was not viable and have stated that it is now a "dead" platform

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft ... ially-dead

RT NT Kernel was compiled specifically for the nVidia Tegra ARM (Cortex A9 / A15) SoC, the RPi 2B is A7 ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

GerritV

Sat May 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Heater wrote:GerritV,
You don't need Windows 10... SSH session...FTP...So potentially even Heater won't have to cough up $100 except of course to get into the Pi world in the first place.

Edit: Whist I do understand the desire to keep the forum civil I cannot agree with the idea of banishing all negative comments about the subject of this forum subsection. This is a technology like any other, like the languages that are discussed in a neighbouring subsection, there should not be any issue with pointing out the downsides of any technology. Assuming that the critique is based on facts.
It all seems a bit long winded so I'll not be trying out that installation route any time soon.
I thought you would have appreciated being able to get to the command line being a *nix person and all :-)
Just now I'm having fun trying out deploying code to my fleet of Pi and other boards remotely via resin.io https://resin.io/
Looks very interesting but: a paid service? Heater? :-) And very convuluted, reliant on stable internet and magic build services. Sounds long winded to me ;) And lots of limitations and 'coming soon'. It won't be something I am interested in using.
I think I am starting to see how you think :-). What is familiar to you or interesting to you, e.g. the complexity of resin.io and its (afaict) closed source is ok. But you don't/can't see how WinIoT on Pi might be of use to you or just don't want to use Windows anything, which is understandable as you prefer to live in a *nix world. Personally I understand both worlds very well and I consciously chose quite a few years ago to spend my time in the Windows world. There is clearly room for both in the real world.

As to the deletion of posts, I know (some of?) the ones I wrote that were deleted were of little value to the original question posed at the start of the thread. The post recently made by 'ame' , (who is now on my 'ignore' list, thank you for that most useful feature!), were off the mark. E.g. stating that Windows programmers are useless or words to that effect is clearly not true (I have fired more than a few useless programmers, even a few hot shots. And they definitely weren't all from the Windows world). I think it was a good move to decruft the thread so that what salient points there are, are visible.

I'm off to more C#'ifying of C code. Loving the language so far, makes you clean up lots of sloppy error-prone coding allowed/tolerated/accepted in C.

Heater

Sun May 31, 2015 6:21 am

GerritV,

You have some good point's there. Off topic of course so I will keep my response brief.

Yes I do appreciate a command line. I have not used the Windows/DOS command line since 1997 and know nothing of powershell so reorienting myself to that would take time and energy I do not have. Perhaps another day.

I have no issue with paying for services. I will have an issue if there is no choice of provider for those services and it results in me becoming locked in to a single vendor.

I can even tolerate closed source software, again as long as there are alternatives and does not involve becomming dependant on a single vendor or product. As an example I have a Sublime Text license, should Sublime go under or not run on some platform I want or whatever that is not a problem, there are plenty of other editors out there. An editor is not a critical part of any of our products or projects.

You have "consciously chose[n] quite a few years ago to spend my time in the Windows world." OK, seems you do not care about the issues of dependency, external control, cross-platform support, future proofing, choice etc, that I care about.

About resin.io...

It's a new toy to play with. So far I don't see that it much more complexity than is required to do what it does. Even Windows users could get their apps deployed via resin in short order :)

There is that issue of dependency, no way could I push use of resin to my company they would ask "What happens when resin.io goes belly up leaving all our installations stranded?"

As for "reliant on stable internet", well yes, we are talking IoT here are we not. If the network connectivity is failing we might as well give up. There is no way we are visiting 100's/1000's of remote machines to manually update their software. Meanwhile apps being developed for work or play can be run locally as usual, no internet required.

Edit: Oops, sorry that was not so brief.

ame

Sun May 31, 2015 6:50 am

GerritV wrote: As to the deletion of posts, I know (some of?) the ones I wrote that were deleted were of little value to the original question posed at the start of the thread. The post recently made by 'ame' , (who is now on my 'ignore' list, thank you for that most useful feature!), were off the mark. E.g. stating that Windows programmers are useless or words to that effect is clearly not true
I'm pleased to have made an impression. Sadly, because my post is lost we have lost the context.

My fundamental point was Microsoft have nothing in the IoT sphere. Embedded chips like the ESP8266 and Arduino, coupled with Android (and, I suppose iOS) mean that Microsoft is really out of the picture and not at all relevant.

Is this post anti-Microsoft? No. Just an observation.

Heater

Sun May 31, 2015 7:12 am

ame,

That is my observation also.

My take on this "Internet of Things" is that it's nothing new. We have been connecting remote embedded systems over the net for ages. Two things have happened: the cost and size of those remote devices is forever shrinking, cloud services have blossommed in a big way. The obvious thing is to be able to connect all those things to those cloud services.

Now, those "things" had better be very small, cheap, low power and reliable. They will probably communicate locally wirelessly. They probably don't need a Linux/Windows OS. Think the temperature alarm stuck to the side of my fish tank for example.

Meanwhile those cloud services that they connect to are all Linux. Or at least it should not matter what they are. The software I have running there and dealing with my devices should be platform agnostic.

There is something missing in this picture. Those wireless "things" need a local "hub" through which they can get to the wider internet. That hub is a spot where a Raspi running Linux or Windows may fit in. It's not really an IoT device its just a gateway.

Eventually all that will get subsumed into the wireless router I have attached to my ISP anyway :)

You may have noticed there are a lot of companies vying for your dollars as providers of various levels of what I describe, from the things to the hubs to the cloud services.

I'm not sure what Android or iOS have got to do with any of this. They are just windows to the internet where our things will show up.

ame

Sun May 31, 2015 7:17 am

Heater wrote: I'm not sure what Android or iOS have got to do with any of this. They are just windows to the internet where our things will show up.
They are indeed the windows through which we view the results. My point was that they have nothing to do with Microsoft either.

panik

Sun May 31, 2015 12:15 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:RT NT Kernel was compiled specifically for the nVidia Tegra ARM (Cortex A9 / A15) SoC, the RPi 2B is A7 ;)
Microsoft does have the Windows 10 kernel running on A7, otherwise it wouldn't run on the Pi. No real reason for RT to be dead, other than short-term "this doesn't make money now". I'd dedicate at least one Raspberry Pi to Windows RT and pay a license fee for the honour. Maybe even buy some Microsoft software products for it. Or from others though the Microsoft store.
Heater wrote:There is something missing in this picture. Those wireless "things" need a local "hub" through which they can get to the wider internet. That hub is a spot where a Raspi running Linux or Windows may fit in. It's not really an IoT device its just a gateway.
This is exactly why the current "Windows IoT on the Raspberry Pi" situation doesn't make sense to me. At all. It's not surprising that people aren't "getting it" either, and why there's all this discussion and controversy. And endless explaining that Windows IoT isn't a desktop OS.

Anybody can understand that an IoT device doesn't need to run a desktop OS. And that it has to be low-power and able to standby on a battery for months. Something the Pi certainly doesn't. And we've all seen desktop OS'es running on the Pi, so why not? Why choose the Pi to run your "IoT device OS"? I'd understand it if MS came up with a "IoT Hub OS" with a nice interface and protocol, but not this. It doesn't make sense.

It feels as if the marketing department yelled down to engineering: IoT! Raspberry Pi! Arduino! Makers! Street cred! Do something! Anything!

As someone how invested time and real money in hardware and software to run and develop for the Microsoft XNA platform (which was dead and abandonded pretty quick, even though XNA did make sense), I'm going to wait a few years to see what's going to happen with Windows IoT before putting time and effort into it. If I'm ever going to see the point, that is.

Joe Schmoe

Sun May 31, 2015 12:33 pm

Anybody can understand that an IoT device doesn't need to run a desktop OS.
The problem is that they hear the word "Windows" and their eyes light up.

It's like that old Far Side cartoon - where all the dog hears is: "blah, blah, blah, Ginger, blah, blah, blah." Here, all the hear is:

"blah, blah, blah, Windows, blah, blah, blah."

The real point, of course, is that it should never have been called "Windows" in the first place (Except, of course, for the fact that Marketing insisted...) since, well, there just aren't any windows in it.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

panik

Sun May 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:The problem is that they hear the word "Windows" and their eyes light up.
Exactly. All the more weird that Microsoft doesn't focus on that. That's why I'm mentioning Windows RT on the Pi. I'd give them my money.

It doesn't explain Microsoft's decision to run an "IoT device OS" on an application processor. Maybe the "Windows IoT" team and ".NET micro framework" team should talk to each other. Then we might actually get somewhere.

GerritV

Sun May 31, 2015 1:15 pm

ame wrote: I'm pleased to have made an impression. Sadly, because my post is lost we have lost the context.

My fundamental point was Microsoft have nothing in the IoT sphere. Embedded chips like the ESP8266 and Arduino, coupled with Android (and, I suppose iOS) mean that Microsoft is really out of the picture and not at all relevant.

Your point is lost because it contributes only hyperbole like 'Microsoft have nothing' and 'Windows programmers are useless'. BTW Arduino is a set of libraries, not an OS and not an embedded chip.

Did you drink too much from the 'the desktop is dead' coolaid :?: :? There are plenty of Windows desktops esp in commercial enterprises. So hardly irrelevant in the display end of IoT unless perhaps you limit your views to hobby users.

MS is not after the end point business at the 'fish tank temperature' level. They are after the intelligent endpoint level, point of sale, kiosks, cash points, etc where traditionally they had embedded versions of XP (supported to 2016), Windows 7 etc. That is big business. Likely QNX is there as well along with RTOS, FreeRTOS etc. Think millions and millions and millions of units.
Microsoft also has an extremely successful cloud business called Azure (not limited to Windows). As Heater indicates, there is a need for cloud services to coordinate all those end points. Think millions of installations. That is big business. Which is why they joined Alljoyn, one of the few coherent, vendor agnostic systems in the IoT world. Alljoyn does not require using the cloud, so somewhat powerful nodes are needed for local control, coordination and display of IoT endpoint status and control. Alljoyn also provides gateways to cloud services where those are needed. Microsoft is not out of the picture in IoT at all.

ame

Sun May 31, 2015 1:35 pm

GerritV wrote:
ame wrote: I'm pleased to have made an impression. Sadly, because my post is lost we have lost the context.

Your point is lost because it contributes only hyperbole like 'Microsoft have nothing' and 'Windows programmers are useless'. BTW Arduino is a set of libraries, not an OS and not an embedded chip.

Did you drink too much from the 'the desktop is dead' coolaid :?: :? There are plenty of Windows desktops esp in commercial enterprises. So hardly irrelevant in the display end of IoT unless perhaps you limit your views to hobby users.

MS is not after the end point business at the 'fish tank temperature' level. They are after the intelligent endpoint level, point of sale, kiosks, cash points, etc where traditionally they had embedded versions of XP (supported to 2016), Windows 7 etc. That is big business. Likely QNX is there as well along with RTOS, FreeRTOS etc. Think millions and millions and millions of units.
Microsoft also has an extremely successful cloud business called Azure (not limited to Windows). As Heater indicates, there is a need for cloud services to coordinate all those end points. Think millions of installations. That is big business. Which is why they joined Alljoyn, one of the few coherent, vendor agnostic systems in the IoT world. Alljoyn does not require using the cloud, so somewhat powerful nodes are needed for local control, coordination and display of IoT endpoint status and control. Alljoyn also provides gateways to cloud services where those are needed. Microsoft is not out of the picture in IoT at all.
I thought you were ignoring me. Why do you feel compelled to extol the virtues of a multi-billion dollar company?

Heater

Sun May 31, 2015 1:36 pm

GerritV,

What ame said, "have nothing in the IoT sphere", as fas as I can tell is not hyperbole, it is fact.

What you are talking about is "the intelligent endpoint level, point of sale, kiosks, cash points,". That is not IoT, that is "distributed intelligence" or "distributed system" that have been around since forever.

Now you could say, that intelligent hub thing required for wrangling local IoT devices like my fish tank alarms is an idea target for this Windows IoT. Perhaps so but it does not exist yet.

I will argue that said intelligent hub thing does not require a desktop style GUI. All it needs is a web interface, like millions of routers and other devices in the world already. At that point why use Windows?

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Whatever IoT is, or you think it is, Microsoft have released and have an End Goal....

Therefore allow people who want to use it, just use it, if one is not interested then just move along :roll:
adieu

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”