rwalker123

USB -> Serial support

Sat May 02, 2015 11:12 pm

I have a SparkFun XBee Explorer USB (FT232X USB-to-Serial converter) connected to a USB port on my Raspberry PI 2. I am not able to connect to it with windows IoT (C# program using Windows.Devices.SerialCommunication.SerialDevice.GetDeviceSelector("COM#"), where # = 1-9, none worked. I get the following status back from devcon.exe status:

USB\VID_0403&PID_6001\A600JT1H
Name: FT232R USB UART
The device has the following problem: 28

I think code 28 might be that the drivers are not installed.

When I connect it to a Windows PC it is assigned a COM port and I access it using SerialPort (in C#). It also works well when I use Raspbian on the Raspberry PI (python).

Anyone know how to get this to work?

ame

Re: USB -> Serial support

Sun May 03, 2015 12:59 am

rwalker123 wrote: Anyone know how to get this to work?
Use Raspbian? (Crazy, I know).

DougieLawson

Sun May 03, 2015 8:53 am

Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 03, 2015 1:28 pm

This shows a major difference between linux and windows. With linux drivers are by and large maintained as part of the kernel, when the kernel is ported to a new platform the drivers generally come with it. With windows drivers are generally maintained by hardware vendors so unless your device is very generic (and unfortunately USB to serial converters aren't) it's up to the hardware vendor to port them. Anyone who remembers the early days of windows on x64 will remember that lack of drivers was a major problem.

Unless FTDI decide winiot is important enough to port their driver to or someone writes a driver from scratch you are more than likely going to be out of luck.

rwalker123

Sun May 03, 2015 2:33 pm

ok, I will try to contact FTDI and see if they have any plans to create a Windows 10 Universal Driver.

GerritV

Mon May 18, 2015 10:10 pm

rwalker123 wrote:ok, I will try to contact FTDI and see if they have any plans to create a Windows 10 Universal Driver.
Any progress with FTDI? I wonder if the WinRT version would work.....

Also, did you use SerialDevice on Windows 8.1? If so how did you get this to work, I can compile but fails to find the correct assembly.

(Working on getting the Digi Xbee-ZigBee stack onto the RPi/WinIot combo. I have their orginal github code re-jigged as a Windows .dll, now converting it to a universal class library.

And no Ame, I am not going back to Linux, Unix or any of those variants.

Gerrit

rwalker123

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:47 am

@garrit FTDI said they are working on a driver but would not say when they expect it to be available. Only said it would be announced on their website when available.

I did not try with SerialDevice on 8.1, I was running 10.

GerritV

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:46 am

I have a few more things to try with the FTDI WinRT version. The setupapi log file says it was expecting the winusb.inf file to be in the same directory as the ftdi set up files. Will be trying that in the next day or two after I bring life back into submission.

We might have to be patient, not my strong suit. ;)

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”