jerseytechguy

Win 10 IOT not showing configuration screen

Tue May 05, 2015 9:16 pm

I have created an SD card from my Win10 VM. The Pi2 Seems to boot fine and shows the blue windows logo then some swirly shape then goes blank screen. A little while later it will show an image that looks like some Windows Tiles of different colors.

I never see the config screen with the IP Address or other information.

Anyone else encounter this? Thoughts as to why it occurs?
Software Architect, Electronic Engineer, Car Enthusiast, Chef, Blogger, Paranormal Investigator (and Skeptic). I'm like MacGyver, Alton Brown, Doc Brown and Peter Venkman all in one.

jtanner_msft

Re: Win 10 IOT not showing configuration screen

Tue May 05, 2015 9:27 pm

Some users have mentioned this behavior and most often it's been that they're not using the correct size / class of SD card. Are you using either an 8 GB or 16 GB card that is Class 10?
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Stanto

Wed May 06, 2015 1:07 am

jerseytechguy wrote:I have created an SD card from my Win10 VM. The Pi2 Seems to boot fine and shows the blue windows logo then some swirly shape then goes blank screen. A little while later it will show an image that looks like some Windows Tiles of different colors.

I never see the config screen with the IP Address or other information.

Anyone else encounter this? Thoughts as to why it occurs?
This is the exact problem I had.

Turns out you require a Class 10 SDCard because the software 'times out'.

devkoes

Wed May 06, 2015 7:40 am

I can confrirm this behavior. I used a class 4 sd and got the same issue as describe. I should mention that my apps were running fine, it was just the "splashscreen app" that didn't work. I could start the "splashscreen app" manually through the web interface, but I got a completely different screen (a more msdos like screen) as shown in the howto.

Anyway, I've just replaced it with a class 10 card and it works fine now.

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 06, 2015 9:45 am

I had this screen using 8Gb class 6 card. (The instructions say that at this point you should see " a blue-screened application that says “MinWin” at the top".

I left it going out of curiosity and eventually it rebooted back to that logo then the main screen as normal.

kbinivale

Thu May 07, 2015 10:46 am

Hi Everyone,

I am having similar issue, please refer to the following specification and kindly assist.

Rasp Pi 2 B Model

8GB Kingston Class 10 Micro SD Card

Connected to Soniq 32" LCD TV through HDMI (Resolution 1366 X768 @ 60Hz

I am using the same board and TV setup to successfully run OSMC and Raspbian on two different cards 16GB Kingston class 10 and 16GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 respectively.

Below is the photo for reference.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B ... hoto%2cjpg

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Cheers!!!

Nel

jerseytechguy

Thu May 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Looks like m 8gig SD cards are not class 10. I'll try to order some and see if it works differently.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll respond back when I know if this solves the problem.
Software Architect, Electronic Engineer, Car Enthusiast, Chef, Blogger, Paranormal Investigator (and Skeptic). I'm like MacGyver, Alton Brown, Doc Brown and Peter Venkman all in one.

jerseytechguy

Tue May 12, 2015 12:39 am

Just wanted to report back that I received my Class 10 SD cards. Created Win10 IOT image and it worked 100%. So the class 10 card certainly is needed.

Thanks again for the help all.

agbi1

Tue May 12, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi All
Can anyone help me, I am trying to use Raspberry Pi 2 on windows 10, I have successfully copied the image file into my SD card class 10 when I slot it on the Raspberry Pi 2 board, it did not boot up to any application, what I am seeing is just a blur colour screen display, I left it all night the screen remain the same.
Can anybody tell me what to do to get it working? I have tried various SD card but not helping.

Regards
Agbi1

jtanner_msft

Tue May 12, 2015 7:10 pm

What size of SD card are you using? It should be 8 or 16 GB and class 10. If you can, please try another card from a different manufacturer. Also maybe try a different power source.

To make certain it's not just a monitor / display setting issue please review this note from the FAQ:
My display doesn't look right, the screen appears cropped or stretched

This can happen on some monitors. To work around this force the board into DVI mode (vs. HDMI mode). You can read more about this here viewtopic.php?t=5851. Mount the SD card to a local PC and proceed to edit the file in the EFIESP partition. For example if the partition is mark as H drive, edit H:\config.txt by adding the following line.

hdmi_group=2 # forces DVI timing to be used
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

agbi1

Tue May 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi
Thanks for the reply, I just purchased 8GB micro SD class 10, I have previously used 16GB Micro SD card that does not work too, I do not know what else must be wrong, Though I am using the actual Power supply adaptor bought with the raspberry Pi version A+ can that be an issue? If yes what type of power supply can I use?

Regards
Agbi1

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

agbi1

Tue May 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the links, I do not think that power supply is the issue I am having here with my Raspberry windows 10 IoT not been able to boot with my SD card. It is a frustrating days for me since I cant meet up with this interesting Win IoT on Raspberry configurations.
Normally when the raspberry Pi is connected to through the HDMI and powered up there should be a bit delay then the windows 10 Icon will display, but in my own case nothing is displaying on the screen except the boring red, yellowish blue green colour display and it will stay there forever.
My question is how can the memory size or the class of SD card affect the booting sequence? I thought the SD card is to store the system files that initiate the booting? :shock:

markrad_msft

Wed May 13, 2015 1:06 am

Hi,
Yes the size and speed of the SD card will have a significant impact on the operation of the Raspberry Pi II (with Win10 anyway). I have tried lower speed cards with mixed results. Some wouldn't even accept the image, some wouldn't boot and some did boot but literally took 20 minutes for the device to come up.
I'm using a 16GB SanDisk Extreme PLUS. This works well but I am not advocating that particular brand. I am simply telling you what is working in my RPi today.
Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

fceledon

Wed May 13, 2015 2:02 am

Maybe the wrong place to ask.... where are the win 10 iot bits available for download? Not on my MSDN subscription...
TIA,

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 13, 2015 4:35 am

fceledon wrote:Maybe the wrong place to ask.... where are the win 10 iot bits available for download? Not on my MSDN subscription...
TIA,
This link has been posted several times: http://ms-iot.github.io/content/GetStarted.htm

It is not a MSDN subscription, I just used my Microsoft email address to sign in and set up a Microsoft Connect Account, though it would be great if MS provided a list of what Services I am signed up for......
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

buamod

Wed May 13, 2015 4:40 am

agbi1

I have the same issue .. nothing is showing up .. just the colored screen ... same here ???

agbi1

Wed May 13, 2015 8:24 am

Hi
Thanks again for your reply, though I have not tried 16GB SanDisk Extreme PLUS, I think your explanation about the SD card speed sound right I never thought about the speed. I just want to get it right this time please can you tell me the actual speed that work on yours?. This issue would not allowed me to move on with my normal life, I have been longing to see windows OS working on raspberry Pi board this may allow me to directly have access with the GPIO ports through visual studio program. I can't wait to see mine working.

Best Regards
Agbi1
Scotland

mtab

Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:14 pm

I have had the same problem. I solved this by this way :
I've opened the config.txt and changed hdmi_group to 1 (default was 2).
Also i changed the gpu ram to 128 (default was 32)
By this way i was able to open the windows 10 iOT.

ps: I am using raspi 2 latest edition

hugoxp

Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:24 pm

mtab wrote:I have had the same problem. I solved this by this way :
I've opened the config.txt and changed hdmi_group to 1 (default was 2).
Also i changed the gpu ram to 128 (default was 32)
By this way i was able to open the windows 10 iOT.

ps: I am using raspi 2 latest edition

THANKS MAN! I was having the same problem... solved!

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”