John_

Install Windows 10 for IoT using Windows 7

Sat May 02, 2015 8:04 am

I just managed to install Windows 10 for IoT using Windows 7 on a notebook.
These are the easy steps:

1. Get your hands on a windows 10 install (so an iso for PC), i used en_windows_10_pro_technical_preview_10074_x64_dvd.iso (download it from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso )

2. Open the iso with 7zip (or any other program that can look into ISO's)

3. From the folder "sources" copy everything except the subfolders and the 2 biggest files (you can copy them ofcourse, but it will take less time if you skip them) to a folder on your PC. I put everything in C:\w10install . I am not sure which files are actually needed but just copying dism.exe and some dll's didnt work. So thats why I copied the whole directory.
Note: Apparently MS has put a new ISO (Build 10130) on their site that does not contain a required file called "FfuProvider.dll". If you get "Error: 0x80004005 Unspecified error", you need to do this extra step. Please see this post : viewtopic.php?p=770733#p770733 from MBRO95

4. Copy the file Flash.ffu that you downloaded from the Microsoft site to this same folder. (this file is within Windows_IoT_Core_RPI2_BUILD.zip, that can be downloaded from https://connect.microsoft.com/windowsem ... /Downloads )

5. Start a command prompt (run as administrator)
Type the following commands:
diskpart
list disk
exit

And note the number of your SD card

6. Then type:
dism.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:flash.ffu /ApplyDrive:\\.\PhysicalDriveN /SkipPlatformCheck
Where the N in PhysicalDriveN is the drive number from the previous step.
Note: Flash.ffu might be with upercase F, so make sure you check. Please make sure that you use the exact name of flash.ffu as it appears on your disk.
Note 2: Also make sure you are using the right dism.exe, so the one you just extracted from the iso file. See this tip:
GerritV wrote:If you are in the directory where the presumably correct dism is located, add .\ in front of the command to be certain that you are executing the one in that directory and not from the Path setting.
The image will now be written to the SD card

Thats it, now put the SD card in the Pi 2 and wait a while, it will boot up to Windows 10 IoT. The first boot will take quite some time, so have a bit of patience ;)
Last edited by John_ on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:29 am, edited 16 times in total.

ObliviousOne

Re: Install Windows 10 for IoT using Windows 7

Mon May 04, 2015 7:18 pm

Great find!!!

Breaking it down I found you will need from the windows 10 source:
api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l1-1-1.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l4-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l1-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-kernel32-l2-1-0.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-ole32-l1-1-1.dll
api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-1.dll
compatprovider.dll
dism.exe
dismapi.dll
dismcore.dll
dismcoreps.dll
dismprov.dll
ffuprovider.dll
folderprovider.dll
imagingprovider.dll
logprovider.dll
vhdprovider.dll
wimprovider.dll

Watching the log it will try to load these from the OS but since they do not exist it will look for them locally.

John_

Tue May 05, 2015 4:55 am

Nice of you to figure out what exactly was needed :). I just took the easy route as it only took a few seconds to copy all the files from that folder (except the 2 big files). But good to know exactly what we need now to use DISM.exe on a W7 machine. Perhaps MS will create an install file for the next release. But better would be of course if MS just creates an image like any other PI installation.

DougieLawson

Tue May 05, 2015 10:10 pm

spin877 wrote:DISM_WIN10
[URL redacted]
You're probably infringing Microsoft's copyright and your WinIoT end-user licence terms by publishing that downloadable copy.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

Arron

Thu May 07, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks for your sharing!
BTW, I have two questions:
1. Is it possible using Win7 to run PowerShell to connect to Pi2?
2. Is it possible using Win7 and VS2015 to deploy project to Pi2?

In fact, It's not convenient for me to using Win10 to do all things. Hope someone can give me any suggestions to do these on Win7 computer.
Any advise is appreciate.

barakt

Thu May 07, 2015 11:12 am

Could someone tell me, why it is not working for me? The applying of the image to the sd card completes successfully, but the windows IoT do not boot up. I have tried sdhc 8gb class 10 and 4 with no success :(

jtanner_msft

Fri May 08, 2015 12:48 am

From our getting started site for Rpi2, there are two recommended cards:
4.A 8gb Class 10 (or better) micro SD card.
If you don't have an SD card, we suggest this one or this one.

I'll post the link to the page in case the links above don't copy over:
http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm

So theoretically your 8GB Class 10 card should work, but if it doesn't you might want to try a different brand.
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

John_

Sun May 10, 2015 4:11 pm

Arron wrote:Thanks for your sharing!

In fact, It's not convenient for me to using Win10 to do all things. Hope someone can give me any suggestions to do these on Win7 computer.
I tried powershell to remotely connect to the Pi2, but the whole remote thing for Win 10 IoT is just to complicated (MS has some work ahead to make installation and remote access easier). My main goal was to see if I could get it installed on W7, I am yet to to work with the setup a bit more.

John_

Sun May 10, 2015 4:13 pm

barakt wrote:Could someone tell me, why it is not working for me? The applying of the image to the sd card completes successfully, but the windows IoT do not boot up. I have tried sdhc 8gb class 10 and 4 with no success :(
Did you give it enough time to boot? At first boot I had the impression that the boot got stuck, but in the end it did just boot. Win10 does not show all the boot details as we are used to with the Linux images on the PI. You will be staring at still standing logo's for some time before something happens.

vaibhav_gawali

Sun May 10, 2015 5:10 pm

At very first time I was able to write image using dism command and Windows 10 IoT ran just fine. However I changed some hardware (monitor, keyboard, mouse) later and then it stopped booting. Now I am trying to re-write Windows 10 IoT image on the same 16 GB SD card and getting below error -
(Microsoft says that Windows 10 build 10069 or higher is required, and I have 10074).

Error: 87
The apply‐image option is unknown.
2015-05-09 19:46:21, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=6592 TID=4260 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
command(apply-image). HRESULT=80070057

GerritV

Sun May 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Arron wrote:Thanks for your sharing!

Just try them. e.g. get dism.exe from a Windows 10 .img file or the ADK. And install VS 2015 RC with the Win 10 extensions. Follow the instructions, free to try.

Gerrit

GerritV

Sun May 10, 2015 9:13 pm

John_ wrote:
I tried powershell to remotely connect to the Pi2, but the whole remote thing for Win 10 IoT is just to complicated (MS has some work ahead to make installation and remote access easier). My main goal was to see if I could get it installed on W7, I am yet to to work with the setup a bit more.
Your joking, right? How is 3-4 steps (3 of which are done only once) too complicated? Different commands from Linux for sure but not complex. You could even write a short ps script to do the commands for you.

Gerrit

GerritV

Sun May 10, 2015 9:15 pm

vaibhav_gawali wrote:At very first time I was able to write image using dism command and Windows 10 IoT ran just fine. However I changed some hardware (monitor, keyboard, mouse) later and then it stopped booting. Now I am trying to re-write Windows 10 IoT image on the same 16 GB SD card and getting below error -
(Microsoft says that Windows 10 build 10069 or higher is required, and I have 10074).

2015-05-09 19:46:21, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=6592 TID=4260 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. - CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection

Since this worked once for you the correct version of dism.exe must be on your machine somewhere. Do a search for copies, then use the one that is version 10.0.10075.0 or higher.

Gerrit

barakt

Mon May 11, 2015 5:36 am

John_ wrote: Did you give it enough time to boot? At first boot I had the impression that the boot got stuck, but in the end it did just boot. Win10 does not show all the boot details as we are used to with the Linux images on the PI. You will be staring at still standing logo's for some time before something happens.
Maybe I did not, but I was assuming, that when the ACT led stopped blinking, that it wasn't doing anything more. I didn't even see the logo while booting, so for sure something was wrong. I am trying to format the card and try it once more.

John_

Mon May 11, 2015 6:35 pm

GerritV wrote: Your joking, right? How is 3-4 steps (3 of which are done only once) too complicated? Different commands from Linux for sure but not complex. You could even write a short ps script to do the commands for you.

Gerrit
Maybe it just doesnt work because im trying on W7, but this is my problem with powershell: viewtopic.php?p=750634#p750634

Tuaran

Tue May 12, 2015 3:33 am

Hi all,
Just to share what have I done step-by-step with the refernce from InoBata.

http://l78zlapsap.blogspot.sg/

Sorry can try this?
Last edited by Tuaran on Tue May 12, 2015 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

John_

Tue May 12, 2015 6:47 am

vaibhav_gawali wrote:At very first time I was able to write image using dism command and Windows 10 IoT ran just fine. However I changed some hardware (monitor, keyboard, mouse) later and then it stopped booting. Now I am trying to re-write Windows 10 IoT image on the same 16 GB SD card and getting below error -

I had the same problem at first when I only copied dism.exe. After copying all the other files (dll's) the error went away and all installed fine.

John_

Tue May 12, 2015 6:48 am

Tuaran wrote:Hi all,
Just to share what have I done step-by-step with the refernce from InoBata.

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogI ... c=postname
I get this error message if I want to go to your blog:
Your current account (......@gmail.com) does not have access to view this page.

Do you have restrictions on it?

SebastianM

Tue May 12, 2015 7:09 am

Cool find, thanks for sharing!!

Sebastian
Battleship scale model: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/de-de/#A55oqs3q4mFHQ

agbi1

Thu May 14, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi All,

Can someone help me to solve the issue of my Raspberry PI 2 not booting up after copying the image file as instructed, inserted it on the Raspberry board I got a coloured display screen hanging forever , I have used 8GB, 16GB SD card class 10 and the current one I am using is 16GB scandisk class 10, but the situation remain the same, what I am doing wrong, I thing I followed the instruction correctly.

Kind Regards
Agbi1

markrad_msft

Thu May 14, 2015 8:52 pm

A SanDisk 16Gb class 10 or better SD card should be fine.
Try the following:
Write a Raspbian image to the card and make sure the Pi will actually boot. If not then you may have a bad Pi or a bad SD card writer. Switch each one out if you have the option to do so and try to narrow down what is causing the failure. Do you know someone with a Win10 IoT image that will boot a Pi? Could you try that image?
Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

GarciaM44

Fri May 15, 2015 2:32 am

You may need to change directory ("cd" in command prompt) to where you extracted the new dism.exe (along with all of the other files from the windows 10 preview .iso)

RobWarning

Fri May 15, 2015 10:03 am

The first time I've put the iot image in my sd card without trouble. but when I tryed for the second time the DISM command did not recognise the ApplyDrive extention. It did turn out I was using the older version of the DISM command. the windows 10 version is 10.0.10074.0 . In order to use the right version set the env variable to the right directory where the windows 10 version is located.
I used the command
$env:path="C:/w10" (C:\W10 is the map I've put the w10 files and the flash.ffu file )
and then used
dism.exe /ImageFile:flash.ffu /ApplyDrive:\\.\PhysicalDrive3 /SkipPlatformCheck

John_

Fri May 15, 2015 4:41 pm

agbi1 wrote:Hi All,

Can someone help me to solve the issue of my Raspberry PI 2 not booting up after copying the image file as instructed, inserted it on the Raspberry board I got a coloured display screen hanging forever , I have used 8GB, 16GB SD card class 10 and the current one I am using is 16GB scandisk class 10, but the situation remain the same, what I am doing wrong, I thing I followed the instruction correctly.

Kind Regards
Agbi1
What do you mean with copying the image? You mean by using dism.exe ?
I think the colored screen is that it sees a SD card but no boot http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... ash_screen

Did you follow the instruction in the first post to the letter? Just copying the image is not the correct way.

ferhat

Sat May 16, 2015 10:18 am

Hello guys,

I read here that some guys were able to boot Windows 10 IoT with RP2.
I downloaded and installed Windows 10 ADK, where I got my dism.exe. My host machine is a Windows 7 vmware virtual machine.
I passed my SD-card reader/writer to my VM so I was able to write the image with dism.

I performed the steps described here: http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm
Right after inserting the SD card into my RP2 I could see "Graphics Console started", a windows logo and a blue screen. Thats all. Nothing happens after that.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ferhat

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”