ShadowDust99

Setting up my WiFi

Sat May 09, 2015 1:47 am

Hi there,
I have got my raspberry pi and I am trying to set up my wifi on my rPi 2 Model B. I am using a Comfast CF-WU755P wireless USB dongle, but it doesn't show in the Raspbian Wifi Config in the GUI. I have read there may be some RealkTek drivers or something that need to be put on the pi, but I don't even know how to put them on the Pi. Do I use a USB or what? It's all too confusing, so please give me an easy step by step answer I can understand.

Anyone know why this is happening, and please don't give me the typical change the interfaces file in network folder and all of that, because trust me, I have tried everything, and nothing is working.

MarkHaysHarris777

Re: Setting up my WiFi

Sat May 09, 2015 2:19 am

I'm trying to be helpful, really, but don't use a wifi dongle that requires special drivers... do youself a favor and use a recommended wifi adapter that is supported (seriously).

I use the wipi adapter from Element14. There are others that also work well, but, as you have discovered there are some chipsets that are not easily supported. You can make them work eventually, but why not just use what works?

By the by, I use a 2' foot (0.6 m) shielded usb cable to extend the wipi from the RPi which increases its range considerably.
marcus
:ugeek:

MarkHaysHarris777

Sat May 09, 2015 2:28 am

marcus
:ugeek:

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 09, 2015 3:42 am

ShadowDust99 wrote:Hi there,
I have got my raspberry pi and I am trying to set up my wifi on my rPi 2 Model B. I am using a Comfast CF-WU755P wireless USB dongle, but it doesn't show in the Raspbian Wifi Config in the GUI. I have read there may be some RealkTek drivers or something that need to be put on the pi, but I don't even know how to put them on the Pi. Do I use a USB or what? It's all too confusing, so please give me an easy step by step answer I can understand.

Anyone know why this is happening, and please don't give me the typical change the interfaces file in network folder and all of that, because trust me, I have tried everything, and nothing is working.
Though this is for a different adaptor the info required would help ascertaing the actual chipset used in the USB WiFi Adaptor rather than just guessing:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=109771#p754290
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

Pete13

Sat May 09, 2015 9:35 pm

I was/am as green as you but I was lucky. When I purchased my B+ I ordered a Edimax EW 7811 UN at the same time from Amazon.com. [$8.70]. After getting the Pi booted and working as a stand-alone. I shut down and installed the Edimax and fired the Pi up again. It just worked on my local wireless network. I did not have to do a suplicant or install any drivers. The Edimax is short and stubby and allows my case to work without any modifications.
Your mileage may differ....

Note: I am not a shill for Edimax or Amazon
Last edited by Pete13 on Tue May 19, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrEngman

Sat May 09, 2015 9:53 pm

ShadowDust99 wrote:Hi there,

With the wifi dongle connected to your Pi post the output of commands

Code: Select all

uname -a
lsusb
Then I can check the driver it needs and give you precise instructions to install it if uses a driver I am familiar with.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “Beginners”