Crazy8

Pi Power

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:23 pm

I just picked up an LCD monitor for my Pi and noticed about 4 USB ports on it. I started thinking (that's a dangerous process), the Pi is powered via micro USB, if I took my USB cable from one of my smartphone chargers (the kind with a regular USB end and a micro USB end) could I power the Pi via the USB ports on the Monitor?

Im thinking I could. Has anyone tried something like this before?

Crazy8

Re: Pi Power

Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:48 pm

It's a Dell 17" 1703FP. I noticed it even has a DC power plug on it and USB Standard B plug. Hows that for interesting? :D

Crazy8

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Built in hub, should supply enough power then. I'd think. I am going to try tonight and see what happens. I will also be receiving a 2A power supply today for it that I just bought on Amazon. I think those USB ports will supply 1.5A tops, but if for whatever reason its not "low power" I have the 2A power supply to fall back on. I just thought it would be cool that way and i kind of want to see if I can hide the Pi and cables completely behind the monitor and having the only cable seen, the monitors power cable. Would look a lot cleaner. ;)

rpdom

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:07 pm

I've powered my first Pi off my Dell 1707FPc without any problems :)

Actually, thinking back, I think I may have had to plug the USB Out of the Pi in to the USB In of the built-in hub before it would power up to run the Pi.

MarkHaysHarris777

Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:07 pm

Most usb hubs built-in to monitors are insufficient to power the RPi-- you are just asking for corrupted SD cards and other issues. Always power the RPi from mains using at least a 2200 mA 5v adapter.

You'll have to review the specs for your monitor (of course) but don't be surprised if it only provides from 300-1500 mA. You RPi draws 500 mA just sitting there. In operation it can draw between 1.5 and 2.0 amps. Your monitor is not designed to provide this usb power.

In the future I suspect that this will change. It just makes sense to hang the RPi on the back of the monitor (that's where mine is) and power it from the monitor! I use a dedicated 2.5 amp 5v supply to mains with a relative short cord with torroid inductor.
marcus
:ugeek:

Crazy8

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Unfortunately it didn't work. Kind of hoped it would, but its not a big deal. Just thought it would be handy. Oh well. :D

eggbeater

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:18 pm

My TV's media USB port runs my Pi better than a wall jack.
Have a few LEDs in your way? Make them into a light show!
http://launchpad.net/raspberrypi-christmaslights/

Return to “General discussion”