arm_design

OV5647 Discontinued

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:30 am

Now that all flavors of the OV5647 camera sensor have been discontinued
does anyone have any idea of what comes next?

reference: http://www.ovt.com/support/ July 31, 2014 EOL Notices

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: OV5647 Discontinued

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:18 am

There are still a fair number in the supply chain - what comes after that I don't know.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

6by9

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:20 am

There are plans, but those are for the Foundation to announce at the appropriate time.
I won't be drawn further than that.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

gkreidl

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:28 am

6by9 wrote:There are plans, but those are for the Foundation to announce at the appropriate time.
I won't be drawn further than that.
Hopefully something with autofocus or an adjustable lens ...
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

gregeric

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Oh, a new game. Well, looking at phones using VC4, whichever 8MP module exists in the Samsung Galaxy Grand? OV8858?

Edit: or maybe whichever 8MP sensor is in the Lava Iris X1/X5 (these are 2014 models, whereas the SG Grand is from early 2013 so sensor maybe already, or soon to be, EOL'd)

Edit2: list of 2014 released phones with VC4 at gsmarena shows models with 5, 8 & 13MP cameras: http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?nY ... t=broadcom
Last edited by gregeric on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

dchapma1

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:46 pm

It would be cool to go for a camera module that supported a Xenon type flash or could sync to a Nikon or Canon external flash.

jamesh

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:05 pm

dchapma1 wrote:It would be cool to go for a camera module that supported a Xenon type flash or could sync to a Nikon or Canon external flash.
Most modules can do that. It's more a matter of designing the HW to take advantage of it.

My want would be the 42MP sensor in the Nokia 808!(Very expensive, not going to happen. But it would work!)
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

6by9

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:13 pm

jamesh wrote:
dchapma1 wrote:It would be cool to go for a camera module that supported a Xenon type flash or could sync to a Nikon or Canon external flash.
Most modules can do that. It's more a matter of designing the HW to take advantage of it.
Sure on that one James? Rolling shutter kills it for most sensors, so you generally need an external shutter with appropriate control, and global reset on the sensor.
jamesh wrote:My want would be the 42MP sensor in the Nokia 808!(Very expensive, not going to happen. But it would work!)
I know, that would be rather delicious. Sadly we probably can't get to the tree with the tuning and drivers on it (remember Perforce?!). Even if we could, then there would be copyright issues as they were written specifically for that customer. It's also 4 lane CSI-2, and quite possibly obsolete (808 was Summer 2012, and how long had we had it for at that point?). :-(
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

jamesh

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:38 pm

6by9 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Sure on that one James? Rolling shutter kills it for most sensors, so you generally need an external shutter with appropriate control, and global reset on the sensor.
jamesh wrote:My want would be the 42MP sensor in the Nokia 808!(Very expensive, not going to happen. But it would work!)
I know, that would be rather delicious. Sadly we probably can't get to the tree with the tuning and drivers on it (remember Perforce?!). Even if we could, then there would be copyright issues as they were written specifically for that customer. It's also 4 lane CSI-2, and quite possibly obsolete (808 was Summer 2012, and how long had we had it for at that point?). :-(
Sorry, you are quite right, got my Galileo head on. I was really meaning that you can fire a flash off from the sensor with the right HW (which you can do anyway over GPIO now anyway). Must try harder.

I suspect the 808 is completely obsolete now, the one in the Lumia 1020 was a development of it, with I think it's own ISP, or certainly mods to make it work on less capable ISP's. Not sure though.

tchiwam

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Bigger sized sensor :) and known frequency / channel response.
5Mp is already plenty for the educational side of things...

Bigger sensor allows crude spectrography and more complex lens arrangement on a home (cheap) made light table...

jbeale

Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:41 pm

If we're making a wish list, mine would be for higher dynamic range. In outdoor security-camera type applications, you often want to see light texture detail in direct sun and darker tones in shade, without manual intervention. The existing Pi cam has a good image (especially for the price!) but I find generally the exposure setting has to settle for either-or; it cannot record both direct sunlight & shade detail at once. I accept that available technology may not have an answer. What I want is DSLR performance in a tiny cheap sensor, and I'm unlikely to get it. :-)

...actually, I can imagine an interleaved-frame HDR mode; that is to say, you expose every second frame with a much shorter shutter speed to capture the highlights. You could combine them in the GPU pre-compression, so the output video has half the frame rate, but capturing more overall range (perhaps with strange motion blur issues), or simply save two different video streams.

Mettauk

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:59 am

Wish list for updated camera module. (Probably too late)

1:Better night vision
2:Better resolution
3:Autofocus
4:IR Heat sensative
5:Changeable lenses
6:Smaller footprint
7:See round corners!

Given massive price drop of NOIR unit I'm guessing release of new module is iminant
Last edited by Mettauk on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

gordon77

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:08 am

All for $5 ? ;)

Mettauk

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:40 am

Well now, given a whole Pi0 computer is only £5 the updated camera module should only be around £3 but cut down on connectors, perhaps it will be missing a lens!
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

rpdom

Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Mettauk wrote:Wish list for updated camera module. (Probably to late)

Given massive price drop of NOIR unit I'm guessing release of new module is iminant
8. Sandwich maker
9. Autopony detect
Mettauk wrote:Well now, given a whole Pi0 computer is only £5 the updated camera module should only be around £3 but cut down on connectors, perhaps it will be missing a lens!
:lol:

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:23 pm

Mettauk wrote:Wish list for updated camera module. (Probably to late)

The RPF were aware a long time ago about the eol of the OV, so your post is about a year too late :shock:
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Return to “Camera board”