JITKR

Joined this world

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:11 pm

Hey guys i just ordered a Respberry Pi 2 B Model and a Sandisk 16GB Class10 Card, What else i need to shop for :) :) .

electronicsguy

Re: Joined this world

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:07 pm

power adapter, a case, Ethernet cable, HDMI cable.
blog: https://electronicsguy.wordpress.com
github: https://github.com/electronicsguy

MarkHaysHarris777

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:10 pm

... and do yourself a favor and order yourself an extra SD card; I would recommend one preinstalled with NOOBS; when you have everything install Raspbian.
marcus
:ugeek:

JITKR

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:59 am

electronicsguy wrote:power adapter, a case, Ethernet cable, HDMI cable.
I have computer monitor and tv with hdmi also can i use phone mini usb for power up. Thinking to buy a case, is it possible to build a case as in online shop it costs around 500INR.

JITKR

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:00 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:... and do yourself a favor and order yourself an extra SD card; I would recommend one preinstalled with NOOBS; when you have everything install Raspbian.
Is it really necessary to buy a preinstalled, i already worked with linux and unix.

MarkHaysHarris777

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:02 am

Is it really necessary to buy a preinstalled, i already worked with linux and unix.
No. On the other hand, believe me, it has saved zillions of people a lot of headaches having a prebuilt card... just sayin
marcus
:ugeek:

ame

Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:18 am

MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
No. On the other hand, believe me, it has saved zillions of people a lot of headaches having a prebuilt card... just sayin
Based on the number of problems reported here I'd avoid NOOBS altogether. I have never had a problem just downloading an image and copying it directly to the SD card.

JITKR

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:49 am

What kind of power supply i should plug in. Any mobile charge will give a stability or i have to buy a special one to power this unit.

ame

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:56 am

JITKR wrote:What kind of power supply i should plug in. Any mobile charge will give a stability or i have to buy a special one to power this unit.
Any mobile charger will do, as long as it provides a stable 5V. You should probably get one that is capable of at least 1A output, although these days 1.2A and 2.1A are becoming quite common. You can test the voltage on a couple of test points on the Pi to verify it is within range (search the forums to find out about this), and on the Pi 2 you will see a small rainbow-coloured square at the top-right of your screen if the voltage is too low.

However, generally any 5V USB PSU will work. Try whatever you have and see how it is.

micahf

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:25 am

JITKR wrote: I have computer monitor and tv with hdmi also can i use phone mini usb for power up. Thinking to buy a case, is it possible to build a case as in online shop it costs around 500INR.
It is possible to build a case. I built one out of Lego. The dimensions in studs are 9 by 13. Sorry, also sent as pm accidentally. :-)

metalj

Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:59 am

They have power supplys on amazon 5v 2a if you read the reviews some raspberry pi owners specifically mention their experience. Noobs worked great for me and I didn't need it preinstalled I just followed geek gurl's video. I haven't bought a case for mine yet but it works fine without one. I got the piview and wipi but you can probably find better or cheaper solutions. I also got a super cheap outlet adapter with an on/off switch. If you are going to program there is so very much content available like PDFs, kindle, & magpi. Good luck with your pi.
Backspace 28 times :)

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:37 am

ame wrote:
MarkHaysHarris777 wrote:
Based on the number of problems reported here I'd avoid NOOBS altogether. I have never had a problem just downloading an image and copying it directly to the SD card.
NOOBS is designed so that you can create a working SDCard (if you can read and follow simple instructions) with NO SPECIAL TOOLS needed on a stock standard Windows system.

The NOOBS problems are solely due to two failures in that master plan.
1. PEBKAC*
2. Pre-installed NOOBS that are too old for the latest hardware (happened with B+ and again with 2B)

* Problem exists between the keyboard and the chair.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

ame

Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:45 am

DougieLawson wrote: NOOBS is designed so that you can create a working SDCard (if you can read and follow simple instructions) with NO SPECIAL TOOLS needed on a stock standard Windows system.

The NOOBS problems are solely due to two failures in that master plan.
1. PEBKAC*
2. Pre-installed NOOBS that are too old for the latest hardware (happened with B+ and again with 2B)
If you can read and follow simple instructions, NOOBS is not necessary.

gkreidl

Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 am

... and a waste of SD card space.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

DougieLawson

Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:51 am

Stop it. We [the experts on here] all know that NOOBS is a waste of space and time, but someone at the RPF at one time thought it was a good idea and we're stuck with it.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Beginners”