Montala

Re: Is it me, or has RS gone very quiet?

Fri May 04, 2012 10:25 am

Judging by the number of posts already made in other threads this morning, it would appear that RS have been anything but quiet over the last 24 hours though.

Nothing for me yet unfortunately!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri May 04, 2012 11:31 am

Montala said:

Judging by the number of posts already made in other threads this morning, it would appear that RS have been anything but quiet over the last 24 hours though.

Nothing for me yet unfortunately!

I think the threat of poison'd entrails must have done the trick.... 

Sorry to hear you're still out in the cold, but it seems they're still processing the expressions of interest before their first crash.  Good luck!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 04, 2012 11:49 am

rurwin said:

I find it disturbing that RS have shipped to registrations up to 6:01am but Farnell have shipped to orders received at 8:10am. Maybe it"s because the Farnell site crashed so hard.

While they haven't explicitly admitted to it I think the most likely explanation is that with the systems in such a mess the order that orders got mixed up between being accepted by the website and being processed by the back end systems (afaict with many older mail order companies the website and the order processing systems are pretty seperate).

mikeplow1961

Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 am

I've found RS to be terrible. I registered on that morning and received a confirmation email a few days later telling me I was among the lucky people to be in the first batch and that I'd be notified when I could order. I never heard a thing after that till last week when I received an email entitled 'We're missing your Raspberry Pi order.' which told me I hadn't responded to the invitation to order sent to me on 14th April. (I'd not received one.) The mail contained two links, one to confirm you still wanted one and one to say you were no longer interested.

I clicked on the first and waited expectantly. 24 hours passed. Nothing. Clicked it again, emailed them, clicked it again, emailed again, clicked it again, emailed again for a week. Not one single response. Finally I emailed the chairman of RS. Reply witinh five mins assuring me it would be dealt with, order activation code received 15 mins later, Pi despatched the next day, arrived this morning and now sat on my desk.

There is something seriously amiss with RS sales processes IMO.

vampa

Fri May 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi All,

I'm from italy, I put the request of interest on Rs italy website on 1 april, as other people I still receiving the updates but no confirmation where I'm in the que.

Some days ago I put anoter request of interest on farnell website.

If some other have news on italian disitribution pls let me know.

grumpyoldgit

Fri May 04, 2012 3:51 pm

1st April! I'm afraid there must be about 300,000 ahead of you in the queue. You aren't going to get one soon.

semtex

Fri May 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi All,

I"m from italy, I put the request of interest on Rs italy website on 1 april, as other people I still receiving the updates but no confirmation where I"m in the que.

Hi vampa

RS and Farnell have confirmed that expressions of interest/orders placed BEFORE 18 April will be fulfilled by the end of June. So you will only be waiting as long as those of us who ordered on 29 February.

Montala

Fri May 04, 2012 4:05 pm

vampa said:

Hi All,

I'm from italy, I put the request of interest on Rs italy website on 1 april, as other people I still receiving the updates but no confirmation where I'm in the que.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

As mentioned above, you will have to wait a bit longer before your Pi is despatched but, if we can believe what we have been told by the distributors, you should receive it before the end of June, assuming that you placed an order before 18th April.

Just keep an eye on incoming emails for a shipping update, as they never tell anyone exactly where they are in the queue.

No one else is currently distributing it, apart from the two companies you mentioned.

yertiz

Fri May 04, 2012 4:48 pm

semtex said:

RS and Farnell have confirmed that expressions of interest/orders placed BEFORE 18 April will be fulfilled by the end of June.

Have I missed something? I hadn't seen a pledge by RS to deliver by the end of June.  Can you point me to it?

yertiz

Montala

Fri May 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Posted in error... sorry! 

semtex

Fri May 04, 2012 9:39 pm

yertiz said:

semtex said:

RS and Farnell have confirmed that expressions of interest/orders placed BEFORE 18 April will be fulfilled by the end of June.

Have I missed something? I hadn't seen a pledge by RS to deliver by the end of June.  Can you point me to it?

yertiz

My bad... you are quite correct yertiz. RS have made no such commitment so we have no clue when "expressions of interest" will be fulfilled.

vampa

Tue May 08, 2012 8:58 am

Thanks a lot guy.

Perfectly clear ... wait and then wait !

chorlton

Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Nothing since March 9th (and yes, I checked my Spam folder) and then out of the blue

Dear Customer

This week there’s more good news on availability of Raspberry Pi’s from RS and Allied Electronics. We’ve invited the next 4,000 people in our queue into the Raspberry Pi online store to place their orders. The second batch of boards are on their way to us, and we’ll be shipping those out direct to customers as soon as they arrive in our warehouse.

Many of you want to know when you can place your order for a Raspberry Pi. We’re making good progress with volume production quantities, and that will allow us to invite more people in to the store and place their order. There will be more news on this next week, so please bear with us while we finalise these arrangements. We will be keeping our promise to invite people to order in line with when you first registered with us, so no-one will lose their place in the queue as we move into volume production.

In the meantime keep up-to-date with the latest information regarding Raspberry Pi by visiting DesignSpark. Find out what happened when some initial Raspberry Pi users met-up to discuss using the board as an open-source tool. Read the latest blog from one of our DesignSpark members, an ICT tutor who has just received his Raspberry Pi. Or find out about how your board can be used as a media centre .

Thank you for your continued interest and patience.

It's not an offer to enter the store, but considering I didn't receive any of the regular updates over the last two months it's a welcome upturn.
Maybe they found my email address where it had rolled down the back of the couch somewhere?

Dapa

Tue May 08, 2012 6:22 pm

This unique ordering experience is making me super-paranoid. I registered interest with RS not long after 6am on launch day. I'd like to think I'm in the first 4,000 - but seemingly not since not since no invitation to order as yet - hence I was going through my mail server logs today to make double-sure no emails from RS had escaped my attention!

A small worry is that I've been somehow missed off the official list and people ordering today might be getting one before me - how long is too long, to wait?

ArborealSeer

Tue May 08, 2012 6:29 pm

i also got the "not yet" email from rs today..

although i did get to see and handle (but not see plugged in) my coworkers ("mooman" on here) pi which unfortunately has a pin missing on one of the usb connectors - so its going back to farnell.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

semtex

Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 pm

I"d like to think I"m in the first 4,000 - but seemingly not since not since no invitation to order as yet

RS mentioned in another thread that the 4000 RasPis would be given to users who expressed an interest up to 6:05am. In other words they got 1000 requests per minute!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue May 08, 2012 9:37 pm

semtex said:

I"d like to think I"m in the first 4,000 - but seemingly not since not since no invitation to order as yet

RS mentioned in another thread that the 4000 RasPis would be given to users who expressed an interest up to 6:05am. In other words they got 1000 requests per minute!

"Given"...  If only!!! 

(The moths had a sudden and unexpected burst of daylight last Friday!!!)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

S0litaire

Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 pm

got a nice automated email from RS

My R-Pi is in the post! ^_^

It'll be here in sometime in the next 12h or so. ^_^
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

semtex

Tue May 08, 2012 10:41 pm

S0litaire said:

My R-Pi is in the post! ^_^

It'll be here in sometime in the next 12h or so. ^_^

Awesome... you must be very excited. Mine's in the post too.... has been for the past 6 days and I have to wait at least another 8 days before it reaches me here in Outer Mongolia (otherwise known as Canada!). But I'm not complaining... at least it's en route... but every day my kids ask "Daddy, Daddy... is it here yet!!"

In the meantime I've dragged my BBC Micro out of the attic. Their first program was:

REPEAT PRINT "Happy Mother's Day" : UNTIL 0

They were ecstatic

Dapa

Wed May 09, 2012 11:43 am

semtex said:

Ha - partially reassuring. I can't recall the exact time I registered as we kept being told by the RaspPi twitter account that 'if you're seeing the register for interest page on RS, you're in the wrong place!'. Thus spending valuable minutes doing 'the right thing' looking for a non-existent page

Return to “General discussion”