Erikthefish

Re: Any beekeepers out there?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi,
For a working and practical example of a temperature monitoring system, arduino based see here:-

http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/beehive/v2

Requirements for monitoring a bee hive MUST include monitoring the outside weather, as this determines what is going on inside the hive!

Humidity, temperature differential and ambient noise level affect bees behaviour, would be good to see if it is possible to monitor air flow as well.

:-)

veggy37

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 am

I'm a very keen beekeeper and have been thinking about this idea of monitoring hives for ages and now thinking in terms of arduino in the hive to monitor sensors, bluetooth the data from the sensors back to pi in shed nearby and wi-fi info to webpage, am in very early stages with the pi at present and havent even looked at the arduino but any help gratefully received.

justcyn

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:42 am

We are getting into beekeeping, and part of the process is to get the local children involved. Technology is high on our list, and it was in looking for some tech that we could use, that I stumbled in here. Total newbie to RaspPi, but eager to learn and see what can be done. For now, we are just hoping to be able to put in an IR cam and temp sensor and have it able to be viewed by the kids online.
any advice is greatly appreciated!
kind regards from Norway :)
Cynthia

bream

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm working on a similar project myself.

At the moment I'm planning on using a Pi to parse the data and post it on to a data store held elsewhere. The processing at the sensor end is an arduino though.

I've got an end-to-end proof of concept up and running but it'll be a while before it's ready to be put into a hive.
You can see my progress to date http://www.rowan-moore.net

hivetool

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello! Awesome work. Would you please share your data with us at hivetool.net? We'd really appreciate it and any other help you can give.

The data format is at
http://hivetool.net/node/54

More scripts are at:
wiki.hivetool.org
(and more info about sensors.) Please consider sharing your research into sensors by posting your findings on the wiki.

Thanks!

paul at hivetool.org

bream

Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi Paul,

As I'm still in a build/test phase there's not much point in me sharing data yet - it's only recording information from within my house at the moment :)
Once it's in a hive, I should be able to extend the data posting to include your repository.

I'll happily pass on my experiences with the sensors as I make progress.

I've made a point of sharing all my code on the site to anyone that wants to make use of it.

If you feel it's appropriate, feel free to point people to my site. My electronics knowledge is poor and to be honest, any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

Paysan

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm a beekeeper. I'm an electronics engineer. I love the raspberry and the arduino. I, building a beehive scale using a bathroom scale.

My goal is to measure all posible parameters around 20 beehives in my garden and make them available on the web

Mvlawn

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Any updates on progress? I am looking at monitoring temp, humidity, and weight on 5 hives.

Vern

gilligan8

Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm very interested in this project.

Would like to monitor/log weight of hives on the cheap.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:44 am

This is a bit of a thread necro, but we spotted this in the news this morning, which sounds like it may be the culmination of the project mentioned a couple of years ago by the OP. Read on for chilled bees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32033766
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ktemby

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:44 am

So excited to finally share my project here -

I'm a beekeeper, and my team and I have been working with local beekeepers from the Santa Barbara Beekeepers Association for the past year to develop this idea to remotely keep an eye on our hives, and monitor hive health. We've now created something like a health monitor for honey bee colonies we call EyesOnHives.

We had to create an image processing algorithm that could quantify hive activity, and a device to capture data and video, and upload it to the cloud for further analytics (between hives, pulling more data, and over longer times).

We’ve been running a pilot with 15 hives for about a year now and so far local beekeepers have told us that EyesOnHives helped more quickly manage ant infestation, robbing and queenlessness. It's pretty exciting, and we're now trying to spread the reach.

We’re looking for community feedback now -- what do you think?

rosscdh

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:09 pm

Hi there,

I've been working on a prototype for exactly this requirement. We have completed the v1 prototype phase and are currently building the v2 market release and app which should come available mid 2016.

Check it out at: http://hive-empire.com

All the best

Return to “Other projects”