stu232

Power problem..

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Can anyone help?

My Pi 2 is powered using a 5v 2.0 amp usb PSU.

I've only just realised that the colourful rainbow square in the top right hand corner of my screen isn't just an innocent 'busy' icon, it's actually a warning telling me that the Pi 2 isn't receiving enough power!

So I swapped out my PSU for another rated at 1.5amp and this gave the same results, little rainbow square flashing on and off.

Regardless of which image I use I always get this warning.

To cut a long story short, I have six 5v USB psu's, all of them (according to the Pi 2) aren't supplying enough power. 3 of the psu's have removable usb cables and I've replaced these with good quality cables that I bought from Maplins but it's still the same.

I know I can disable the warning in the config.txt but that won't help as I intend to overclock my Pi and whenever it detects a power issue it automatically reduces the CPU clock.

I have removed everything from the Pi. HDMI (connected via composite), LAN, Keyboard and mouse and still I get the power warning.

Even when I use my powered usb hub to power my peripherals the Pi claims that it is being under powered.

Could I have faulty hardware or should I just buy a 3amp psu?

Can someone recommend a USB cable and 3amp PSU that is guaranteed to work, preferably something that can be bought on the high street and not online.

DougieLawson

Re: Power problem..

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:39 pm

stu232 wrote: I've only just realised that the colourful rainbow square in the top right hand corner of my screen isn't just an innocent 'busy' icon, it's actually a warning telling me that the Pi 2 isn't receiving enough power!

So I swapped out my PSU for another rated at 1.5amp and this gave the same results, little rainbow square flashing on and off.

Regardless of which image I use I always get this warning.
In that case start by replacing the thin wet string with a small strand of copper (usb cable) with something better.
http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/fabri ... usb-noodle
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

stu232

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks Dougie I'll order one straight away. :)

I've tried replacing the cable with a few I bought in Maplins, I guess those were just cheap ones being sold as good quality.

stu232

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Sorted it. :D

I noticed that my power led was flashing intermittently so I had a closer look at the micro usb socket.

Turns out that my micro usb socket has a slight 'wiggle' to it if I pressed my finger against it. I grabbed my hot air gun and reflowed the solder,now the socket is rock solid.

I retested all my old usb cables and every one of them are working great, no power warnings at all, even using the super cheap Poundland cables. :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”