funny

Re: Any sucess with iphone screns??

Wed May 02, 2012 3:56 pm

I have seen in the wiki that

"The schematics for apples iPhone 3gs and 4g suggest they speak DSI, thus they can probably be connected directly".

Does any one checked this ??

If not iphone screens, any mobiles screens are tested so far?

Thanks in advance!

jbeale

Wed May 02, 2012 4:33 pm

I believe it is the GPU part of the SoC which talks to the screen via DSI, and there is no public information on that subsystem. We need to wait for Broadcom, through the RasPi foundation, to release a driver for whatever LCD will be used.

funny

Wed May 02, 2012 4:47 pm

jbeale said:

I believe it is the GPU part of the SoC which talks to the screen via DSI, and there is no public information on that subsystem. We need to wait for Broadcom, through the RasPi foundation, to release a driver for whatever LCD will be used.

Thanks for the reply jbeale. Is there any way around to hook ipad or iphone

screens, e.g. lvds converters, discussed elsewhere in the forum? I mean does

anybody tried already. Because sometime back, I have seen a post in the forum that someone is making such converter. I wanna know the status of these screen trails though this post. Many thanks once again. Sorry for mistakes in my English.

zfh10

Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 am

I would be so excited if someody got the iphone screens connected and working well.  It would open up so many options.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 03, 2012 10:48 am

The intention is to release drivers for a screen - what that screen will be is still to be decided. Main problem is that the screen would also need a PCB adapter to be made, so it's unlikely more than one type of screen would be supported in the medium term - just not cost effective.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

funny

Thu May 03, 2012 2:04 pm

JamesH said:

The intention is to release drivers for a screen - what that screen will be is still to be decided. Main problem is that the screen would also need a PCB adapter to be made, so it's unlikely more than one type of screen would be supported in the medium term - just not cost effective.

Thats a great news. Thanks Jamesh. We know that the foundation always keep cost in mind, so we expect that "screen" decided by the foundation would be accessble to many of us and cheap. If the foundation itself orders few hundred or thousand that "screens", there are many of us ready to buy them asap. If you guys want a most wanted screen by users/followers (e.g. price, size), then its better to conduct a small scale survey on the forum. Anyways thanks for all the efforts of foundation, whatever the screen you guys decide, many of us happy to accept.

zfh10

Fri May 04, 2012 8:39 am

yes, I'd echo that.

AFAIK, you can get iphone4 replacement screens (high-res) for about $17.  Sounds perfect.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 pm

My guess is that the shortest path to accomplishing this would be to get recently-onboard Adafruit to do the hardware part and Broadcom/Foundation folks to do the GPU software part.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

jbeale

Fri May 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Jim Manley said:

...recently-onboard Adafruit...

My impression is that Adafruit is making their "Pi-plate" breadboard accessory strictly on their own, without any formal relationship with the foundation (although they mentioned making inquiries). They have been on-board with the general idea of enabling low-cost hackable hardware from the outset.

By the way, having relatively simple PCBs made is no longer very costly, even in very small volumes. Iteadstudio.com will make you 10 pcs of a 2-sided 5x5cm PCB with 8 mil design rules, for US$10, that is just $1 each! And seeedstudio.com has the same offer. That's just the bare board, parts and stuffing not included. Cost goes up as the board area.

funny

Fri May 04, 2012 7:53 pm

jbeale said:

By the way, having relatively simple PCBs made is no longer very costly, even in very small volumes. Iteadstudio.com will make you 10 pcs of a 2-sided 5x5cm PCB with 8 mil design rules, for US$10, that is just $1 each! And seeedstudio.com has the same offer. That's just the bare board, parts and stuffing not included. Cost goes up as the board area.

Wow thats cool. If a pcb bare board is just $1 then, assuming the stuff on the pcb costing around $ 5, its awesome. I wish foundation will release the drivers soon and some smart guys here make the pcb design also soon. Happy days ahead.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Fri May 04, 2012 9:25 pm

jbeale said:

My impression is that Adafruit is making their "Pi-plate" breadboard accessory strictly on their own, without any formal relationship with the foundation (although they mentioned making inquiries).

I wasn't implying Adafruit had any formal relationship with the Foundation (although the recent quote about the Pi-plates from Eben via Liz, "... awesome! ... " suggests that may change ).  They would just be precisely the kind of wireheads who could do the hardware end of the work, as they already make some very nice Arduino display shields, similar boards for Beagleboards, etc.

Broadcom folks would still need to do the GPU driver work, which is the tallest pole in the tent, regardless of whomever might make the boards.  Having the boards made yourself would be pretty pointless without the driver, and Broadcom folks talking with Adafruit type folks who are already a proven engineering and distribution outfit might convince both of them it was worth their time.  Some random consumers Out There banging on the door at Broadcom (especially via a public forum), maybe not so much.

Perhaps an e-mail campaign to Adafruit and those of similar talents might be in order.  If I thought there was enough money in it to keep me fed I would do it, but, I don't think that's the case (I have a pretty good appetite ).  I already have plenty of money/time-absorbing volunteer activities going on here and elsewhere.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

jamesh

Sat May 05, 2012 7:49 am

Actually, Gert has been designing/manufacturing a few PCB's lately, it's likely he'll get on to a display adapter board pretty soon. And that means that there is quick access to lots of Brcm engineers to test them out too. There is a lot of interest in Raspi amongst the Broadcom team here in Cambridge, so I expect rapid progress.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

MattPurland

Sat May 05, 2012 8:19 am

That's good news, the project I have in mind for my Pi would ideally use a MIPI panel driven off the DSI connector. I'm just hoping a panel of the right size will be available (around 4", though the iPhone screen would be ideal)

wallarug

Sat May 19, 2012 3:02 am

Do you have any links to the websites that sell iphone screens for $17?

fodi

Sun May 20, 2012 8:28 pm

wallarug wrote:Do you have any links to the websites that sell iphone screens for $17?
just found on ebay some: here they are, starting from 15.29 USD
if you need a digitizer (touch interface) as well, you can buy one from 6.47 USD

klos-miao

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:39 am

I'm really interested too!
Connect an iPhone LCD to RPi is a cheap way to have a ultra little portable Linux system!

And it's true that you can find in ebay this LCD for less than 20$...

Return to “Interfacing (DSI, CSI, I2C, etc.)”