livinitwarrior

Re: Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:27 pm

I might be missing something, but both in LXDE and KDE, the colors aren't blending correctly. It looks almost like old Win95 16-bit color schemes, and videos look horrible. Yet on Xbian and OpenElec, the HD looks great! Is there a special driver I'm missing? Because I know the raspberry can do better (it's a pi2), and nothing's showing up in "additional drivers"

fruitoftheloom

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:45 pm

livinitwarrior wrote:I might be missing something, but both in LXDE and KDE, the colors aren't blending correctly. It looks almost like old Win95 16-bit color schemes, and videos look horrible. Yet on Xbian and OpenElec, the HD looks great! Is there a special driver I'm missing? Because I know the raspberry can do better (it's a pi2), and nothing's showing up in "additional drivers"
""An accelerated x.org video driver is available (fbturbo), though this is limited to hardware accelerated window moving/scrolling on the Raspberry Pi""

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

livinitwarrior

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:47 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
livinitwarrior wrote:I might be missing something, but both in LXDE and KDE, the colors aren't blending correctly. It looks almost like old Win95 16-bit color schemes, and videos look horrible. Yet on Xbian and OpenElec, the HD looks great! Is there a special driver I'm missing? Because I know the raspberry can do better (it's a pi2), and nothing's showing up in "additional drivers"
""An accelerated x.org video driver is available (fbturbo), though this is limited to hardware accelerated window moving/scrolling on the Raspberry Pi""

Thanks! I'll give it a shot

InfectedSoap

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:43 pm

livinitwarrior wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Thanks! I'll give it a shot
While this will speed up some animations it won't change the color depth from 16 to 32 bit.
All you have to do is add these lines to your config.txt

framebuffer_depth=32
framebuffer_ignore_alpha=1

Barath

Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:00 pm

I am trying to interface the camera. Whatever I edit in raspi-config is not being saved. I'm a beginner, can anyone kindly give me direction to interface the camera. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wintrmute

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:58 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
livinitwarrior wrote:Is there a special driver I'm missing? Because I know the raspberry can do better (it's a pi2), and nothing's showing up in "additional drivers"

You should be aware that the fbturbo driver is pre-installed on this Linaro/Ubuntu image. You're already using it.
As a later poster suggested, try increasing the colour depth; it defaults to 16 for performance, but will look better at higher values.

joaodriessen

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:04 am

Is this image file compatible with berryboot?

davido99

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi,

just posted a small Raspuntu review here for those who wants to use RPi 2 as a Desktop:

http://linuxcake.com/rpi2-ubuntu/

Uzumaki321

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:29 am

Hai there. I have a mac book pro with microsoft remote desktop installed. Can some one tell me how to connect my pi with ubuntu to my mac book via remote desktop?

Thank you in advance

thedictator

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:27 am

Overall very fast performance and browsing experience. Just a question if there is a possibility of H/W Accelerated browsing which allows you to play 720p HD Youtube?

Thanks.

florca

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Very impressed by this - seems stable, runs noticeably faster than the current Raspbian as a desktop and latest Chromium works well. Couple of suggestions / pointers for others, based on the adjustments I've made:

1) The vcgencmd command is missing - copying the binary from the latest Raspbian seems to work.

2) omxplayer works perfectly, but needs the Permissions fix to /dev/vchiq applied, as described under Troubleshooting on http://omxplayer.sconde.net

3) Adding the PepperFlash plugin to Chromium, as described here works well (within the limits of no GPU acceleration).

4) Pulling and installing a later version of xscreensaver from the Deb packages linked from here works well and stops the annoying nag screens on the PPA version.

5) Installing the shell script from here will enable Powersave on HDMI monitors (add an entry to ~/.config/autostart/.desktop to activate on login) in conjunction with xscreensaver

6) There's no nano (or gedit..) editors in the base build! Worth adding?

7) kweb works well but kweb3 is a bit unstable - using kweb for speed and Chromium when I need full feature set..

The only (slight) annoyance is the Permissions error when trying to logout / reboot from the LXDE desktop - lots of similar problem reports from other platforms but none of the suggested fixes have done the trick as yet...

Guess the situation may change when Raspbian moves fully to Debian Jessie, and especially if / when there's full WebGL / GPU acceleration support for Chromium (VC4??) exposed, but for now this seems like the best available "general" desktop on an Rpi2 - many thanks for providing it!

Brgds

Phil

Framik

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:22 am

florca wrote: The only (slight) annoyance is the Permissions error when trying to logout / reboot from the LXDE desktop - lots of similar problem reports from other platforms but none of the suggested fixes have done the trick as yet...
Is there any working solution for that problem?

Joe Schmoe

Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Is this still the latest/best information for how to download and get started with Linaro on the Pi?

Have there been any updates?

Are there any plans for it to be hosted on an "official" server (i.e.,one at raspberrypi.org) ?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

gewin

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:01 am

As far as I know this is the latest. I hope development does continue because this runs beautifully on the pi 2, very stable. Hopefully it will be upgraded to 15.04 when it is released in late April.

nwalker

Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:24 am

I get stuck at boot up, the last line reads ".547562] random: nonblocking pool is initialized"

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong??

dnegreira

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:19 am

Hi OP,

Can you shed some light on how this image was built?
I am truly happy with this distribution for Raspberry PI, it is fast, performant and it has all the up-to-date software to use.
I am really curious to see if I can port/use other Distros using the same method as you did with raspuntu.

Thanks!

wintrmute

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:16 am

dnegreira wrote: Can you shed some light on how this image was built?
In what level of detail were you interested?
The basic concept is to use kpartx and loopback mounts to manipulate all the partitions and file trees inside an initially-blank file on another machine to start with, using a base filesystem tarball from Linaro or Ubuntu, and then applying another custom tarball over the top (which just sets up fstab, networking, udev rules, etc). By having the right qemu packages installed on your host machine, you can actually chroot into the ARM tree from your amd64 host and do further manipulation there, such as using apt-get to fetch and install packages.

Joe Schmoe

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:32 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Is this still the latest/best information for how to download and get started with Linaro on the Pi?

Have there been any updates?

Are there any plans for it to be hosted on an "official" server (i.e.,one at raspberrypi.org) ?
Why do you insist on making it so difficult to download????

I can't access any of the URLs/links above.

nex_

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:40 am

Hi everyone,

I have same problems "not authorized to perform this" when plug usb drive
solution is here ... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

This worked for me!

sorry for my bad english

wintrmute

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:13 am

Joe Schmoe wrote: Why do you insist on making it so difficult to download????
It's available as both HTTP and BitTorrent. What more do you want? FTP? Gopher? Carrier pigeon?

Joe Schmoe

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:36 am

wintrmute wrote:
It's available as both HTTP and BitTorrent. What more do you want? FTP? Gopher? Carrier pigeon?
What happens for you when you do:

wget 'mirror: http://lucario.info/archive/raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip'

ktb

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:51 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
wintrmute wrote:
What happens for you when you do:

wget 'mirror: http://lucario.info/archive/raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip'
wget will not work normally with MS onedrive.live.com (that's where it is hosted)

You would have to get a temporary download link like this one:

wget https://dyg6xg-ch3302.files.1drv.com/y2p0seLC0a9ZZHNRT1u8AWNhTuZ7aXuByDKhKQKTjqlKQ0IuFr0Q4QAS-B6LixRviVnt7sd0nzfza5lmvLe49XspTWRHNgQmviE0gRqbbi4mrfoUgLEiVKZYPbyhDblbKd2/raspuntu-tjc-2015-02-16.zip?download&psid=1

cert

Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:39 pm

is this raspuntu image running faster than this official installation/ image? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi

i cant write MonsterRPI image to my 32GB kingston SD card, not enough space with win32diskimager

mitchelln

Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:42 am

I've tried both and yes, it is much faster. Surprisingly so.

cert

Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:09 pm

mitchelln: thank you, i tried this linaro image and it really runs faster.

great image, firefox runs fast but crashes sometimes.

i need help to set up xscreensaver-pi-hdmi. i dont have ~/.config/autostart/.desktop. what exactly do i have to add to ~/.xsession at the end?

Return to “Other”