10robinho

Watchdog unreliable, rebooting without a reason?

Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:58 am

Hello,

I've installed 100s of RPI2s.
I've noticed that bcm2708 watchdog sometimes fires reboot without specific reason, while everything was working normally.
That happens in every 30 minutes, or so. (it happened in RPI1 too)
If I disable watchdog on them, they don't reboot randomly (of course).

I'm feeding watchdog every 3 seconds with timer of 15 seconds.

I've noticed in this dmesg:

Code: Select all

bcm2708 watchdog, heartbeat=10 sec (nowayout=0)
But i think that is not the reason. Tho, I may try to reduce timer to 10 secods.

So, I think that RPI2 reboots because it's watchdog didn't receive feed. Possibility of daemon not feeding watchdog is something I would eliminate because there is no high load.
However, it might be possible that RPI2 watchdog is not receiving feeds. Maybe it's connected to GPU/VPU somehow, because I run hardware video decoding and rendering on them all the time.

I'm also connected to serial console and I'm watching output, there are no kernel errors or anything unusual when reboot happens.

Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone before me?

rompelstompel

Re: Watchdog unreliable, rebooting without a reason?

Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Something similar is happening to me with raspberry pi 3. I'm not certain if it is the watchdog, but I will investigate.

ElEscalador

Elescalador

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:27 pm

Interesting...I was just going try it out, but maybe I'll wait to aee what you learn and in the meantime, write my own watchdog just for my program that must remain running. Which of course won't help if the zero itself freezes, but what else is a guy to do?
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

FlashT

Re: Watchdog unreliable, rebooting without a reason?

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 pm

It is totally unreliable... We had many projects on Raspberry Pi 2 / 3 and it never worked as expected... rebooting without reason, not rebooting when device was unresponsive... totally fake function.

Return to “Troubleshooting”