How long was your RPi running on the same SD card?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:26 pm

~ 6 MTH before it broke
7%
~ 1 Yrs before it broke
4%
~ 2yrs before it broke
No votes
~ 3yrs before it broke
4%
< 6 MTH still running
No votes
< 1 Yrs still running
15%
< 2yrs still running
22%
< 3yrs still running
48%

Total votes: 27
milkboy007

YOUR SD CARD lifespan, 3yrs on with Rpi

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:26 pm

This is a collection user review of SDcard lifespan against usage :D
Share the detail your RPI usage and how it impact your SD card
Review to SD card lifespan-usage

i have read people asking about sd card lifespan, people sharing their experience with card corrupted.
i wanna pool all that info in a single thread. so that it will be easier for people to look for info about brand, usage and impact on the sd card life span.
the poll itself is for statistics, where as your reply give the details & explanations

1 SD card, 2Yrs still running
For me, i have been running my non-OC(OverClocked) RPI B as a Media/NAS/seedbox/p910nd Printer server
im Using Openwrt as OS on a old 2GB Sandisk Card (bought ~2010 originally for camera), with external usb hdd as data storage. (/tmp are loaded on ram) so, very little write on SD card, mostly read
its been 2Yrs using the same SD card, rare reboot (months at a time), no power outage/blackout/spikes, and the sd card has yet to show any signs of corruption/wearing out.

how bout yours?

P.S. i'll update as soon as the sd card give its first error.

septantrionalis

Re: YOUR SD CARD lifespan, 3yrs on with Rpi

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:41 pm

My oldest Raspberry Pi is over 3 years old. I use it as a linux server running Samba, mail, LAMP server, etc. I haven't had any issues yet.

aTao

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:44 pm

Sporadic heavy use, maybe 10 to 20 new images on it, a few monster compile (17 hours), server for 5 months.

So reliable I was totally wrong footed when it dies last week, looked at everything but it for the fault.
Long live Transcend, the Transcend is dead.
>)))'><'(((<

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:07 pm

My B1 Pi, on which I run the wiki from which my "Raspberry Pi Webpages" are exported, has been running with the same SD card since I set the wiki up ie. ~Sept. 2012. However it should be noted that the wiki itself is stored/run on a 16Gb USB stick. Also I've only occasionally updated the O.S. and it's only powered up when required.
Slightly O.T., but perhaps a useful comparison, a 2Gb SD card that was in my daughter's Samsung 'phone recently showed signs of failure. It had been in that 'phone for ~18 months and something like 2 or 3 years in a previous 'phone.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

adlambert

Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:51 pm

My oldest Pi was ordered in Feb 2012 out of the very first manufactured batch, but they weren't delivered until May 2012 because of the CE testing episode. In May mine will have been running for 3 years with the same full size SD card sticking out like a tongue.

scotty101

Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:18 pm

My Original Rev1 B has recently started to play up. Its been running as a home automation server for the past 18 months so in constantly on and logging data.

Might be time to swap out to a new card now that I know the process to backup/restore Domoticz is pretty easy.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

milkboy007

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:30 pm

im surprised the poll shows <3yrs get the most vote. :shock:
i expected 1 or 2yrs to have lead. then again it still too early to say.
more vote are needed to get a better perpective
Last edited by milkboy007 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikerr

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:23 pm

The only time I corrupted sd cards was when overclocking - my original B was poor at that.

I did break one in half when my robot fell over though :)

That was all with 2gb sd cards I had lying around, now I tend to use bigger 16gb cards just for space.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “General discussion”