wzelly13

PI 2 Memory

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Since the Pi 2 has an operating system, I presume it has some type of internal memory capacity. What is that capacity?

Also, if the internal memory is solely designated for the OS, is there a restriction on what OS can be used?

Lastly, given that it has an SD slot, and I see the news release on the Pi 2 suggests UP TO an 8 GB SD card or an external SD card reader for higher, is it suggested to us SD cards for memory vs External Hard Drives?

Thank you.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: PI 2 Memory

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:12 pm

You really need to read the specs, but in short, the Pi2 has 1GB RAM, No on board flash storage. All storage is supplied by the SD card so that contains the OS, which can be any of the supported OS's (mostly Linux based). You can add extra drives via USB if you wish.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mimi123

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:15 pm

wzelly13 wrote:Since the Pi 2 has an operating system, I presume it has some type of internal memory capacity. What is that capacity?

Also, if the internal memory is solely designated for the OS, is there a restriction on what OS can be used?

Lastly, given that it has an SD slot, and I see the news release on the Pi 2 suggests UP TO an 8 GB SD card or an external SD card reader for higher, is it suggested to us SD cards for memory vs External Hard Drives?

Thank you.
There is only a 8Kbytes bootrom to load bootcode.bin from the SD card and fallback to SPI/I2C/USB slave if there is a problem.

kusti8

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:16 pm

To add to that, the raspberry pi doesn't have a maximum SD card capacity. You just have to make sure it is formatted as FAT32, not the default of exFAT which takes effect on SD cards over 32 GB.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

thsBavR10

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:24 pm

kusti8 wrote:To add to that, the raspberry pi doesn't have a maximum SD card capacity. You just have to make sure it is formatted as FAT32, not the default of exFAT which takes effect on SD cards over 32 GB.
Only the boot partition should be formatted as FAT32.
But this is done automatically, when you install raspbian via Win32DiskImager for example.
Ne need to format it manually.
After the first start of rasbian your are asked to start raspi-config, there you can expand the root partition to max.

kusti8

Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:37 pm

thsBavR10 wrote:
kusti8 wrote:To add to that, the raspberry pi doesn't have a maximum SD card capacity. You just have to make sure it is formatted as FAT32, not the default of exFAT which takes effect on SD cards over 32 GB.
Only the boot partition should be formatted as FAT32.
But this is done automatically, when you install raspbian via Win32DiskImager for example.
Ne need to format it manually.
After the first start of rasbian your are asked to start raspi-config, there you can expand the root partition to max.
Yes, that is what I meant when installing NOOBS. Using an img will automatically change the partition table.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”