rmm200

Re: raspberry pi already failed ?

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Nice parting shot there.

I will just add that the educators and children using Pi will NOT need to be Linux experts.

The desktop environment will feel extremely familiar to anyone used to Windows.

Kids who have never seen any computer before will have a bit of a learning curve. It would take mine about 10 minutes to figure out where things are.

ArborealSeer

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:21 pm

colincoach said:

JamesH said:

Chill out guys, no need for any rudeness whatsoever. Despite the OP"s brash postings, the rest of this thread has been very well behaved. Please keep it that way.

Hear hear…but I think you"ll find only one person is being rude here, twice accusing me of not knowing what I"m talking about – how arrogant is that!!

I"ll not be contributing to this debate any further, as following the exciting news earlier about my Pi arriving w/c 7th May, this has put a bit of a dampener on my enthusiasm for now.

precisely why i stopped feeding this particular troll..

windoze? come on how old are you? youre using obselete meme's old man, things have moved on.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

lewmur

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:26 pm

JamesH said:

Chill out guys, no need for any rudeness whatsoever. Despite the OP's brash postings, the rest of this thread has been very well behaved. Please keep it that way.

I'll apologize to the forum if my attacks on those spreading FUD appear harsh.  But I have a very hard time "chilling out" when posters are stating blatant falsehoods.

The biggest lies being told are that Linux is "only for geeks" and "Linux is too difficult to learn".  Anyone who believes that might want to read this article.

abishur

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:26 pm

ArborealSeer said:

windoze? come on how old are you? youre using obselete meme"s old man, things have moved on.

What the new one for windoze M$?  (Which I've always found ironic that Microsoft got labeled with the $ but apple nickles and dimes every step of the developmental process)  Which makes me wonder if Windows is Windoze and Apple is Crapple what the insult for Linux?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

lewmur

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:33 pm

Abishur said:

ArborealSeer said:

windoze? come on how old are you? youre using obselete meme"s old man, things have moved on.

What the new one for windoze M$?  (Which I've always found ironic that Microsoft got labeled with the $ but apple nickles and dimes every step of the developmental process)  Which makes me wonder if Windows is Windoze and Apple is Crapple what the insult for Linux?

How about Lina$$?  And, yes, I am an old man.  But it seems to me that Windoze is just as apt today as it ever was.

ArborealSeer

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:37 pm

repeats mantra *must not feed*

Abishur said:

ArborealSeer said:

What the new one for windoze M$?  (Which I"ve always found ironic that Microsoft got labeled with the $ but apple nickles and dimes every step of the developmental process)  Which makes me wonder if Windows is Windoze and Apple is Crapple what the insult for Linux?

i use m$ out of habit, but really.. microsoft are fairly tame these days when compared to the new evil empires of google and facebook.

Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

bbramble

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Abishur said:

what the insult for Linux?

The one I always quite liked was Lunix

tufty

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 pm

I believe the terms "in vogue" at the moment are lunix, loonix or linsux. Using these terms, or "windoze", "crapple", "M$" and so on, of course, make you sound like an EDL supporter talking about the "muslamic" threat and instantly mark your comment as "from a cretin, ignore".

While I personally belive linux is a bloody awful choice for a teaching OS, I would have the same opinion if the Pi had been launched running Windows, OSX, Android or iOS. Or riscOS, in case there"s any geriatrics feeling left out.

Simon

bobmendon

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:10 pm

I am soon to be 61 years old and started life when a computer was an abacus. I am not particularly technologically gifted as I couldn't code my way out of a paper bag. However, I have been usin Linux for years and at this stage of the game, some might say that Linux has got too user friendly as in the case of the latest Ubuntu Desktop release. You cannot expect a machine the scale of Raspberry Pi to run Windows 7. The OS is just too bloated and demanding of resources. That's not really the point of RPi anyway. The point is to see what you can do within the limits of the harware. It's to experiment with and have fun with. So, my friends, you really didn't expect a super scalable Windows machine for $35 did you?

Lob0426

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to
start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters,
and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to
cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download
and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you
are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the
seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is
very comfortable, the plan leaves and arrives on time without
a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to
tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but
all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

I am not a Linux hater but your analogy for Linux air is wrong.
Everyone starts their own airline and completes the plane but it cannot take off. Someone forgot to install: root/boot/bin/flight/schedule/runway/load/capacity/length/terminal/wing/camber/liftoff.bin
And no one knows where to put it as the description is in several files.

Again I am not a Linux hater but at times Linux can be a real pain to get stuff to install. It will do 99.9% and forget on thing that you have to find and install by hand because a geek forgot to go back and edit his script when his did not work. lol reminds me of using DOS sometimes. Don"t believe me, look in doms thread about XBMC. lol
Just thought there should be some realism about the OS airlines. Linux does have its issues also. Dependencies!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

abishur

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:45 pm

okay I get the loonix and linsux but I don't get the lunix one.  Maybe I'm mispronouncing?  I googled it and it turns out there's actually a distrio named lunix
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Ravenous

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Unix = Eunuchs? An old one.

jefferzbooboo

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:07 pm

"If he's 34 yrs old, he would have been 4 when the Spectrum came out, or 0 when the ZX80 came out. Since he started programming at age 12, that would have been 8 years after the Spectrum was released. By which time it was old hat and early PC's were ruling the roost. Although the speccy wasn't discontinued until '92 (Amstrad era), so I suppose it might be possible."

I was born in 1983 and the first thing I learned to program on was an Oddyssey2 which came out 5 years before I was born.   And I didn't start trying to learn until 95.
Why is it such a far cry that he used an old piece of hardware to learn on?

nick.mccloud

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:13 pm

jefferzbooboo said:

"If he's 34 yrs old, he would have been 4 when the Spectrum came out, or 0 when the ZX80 came out. Since he started programming at age 12, that would have been 8 years after the Spectrum was released. By which time it was old hat and early PC's were ruling the roost. Although the speccy wasn't discontinued until '92 (Amstrad era), so I suppose it might be possible."

I was born in 1983 and the first thing I learned to program on was an Oddyssey2 which came out 5 years before I was born.   And I didn't start trying to learn until 95.

Newly registered - I smell SHILL

lewmur

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Lob0426 said:

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to
start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters,
and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to
cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download
and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you
are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the
seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is
very comfortable, the plan leaves and arrives on time without
a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to
tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but
all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

I am not a Linux hater but your analogy for Linux air is wrong.
Everyone starts their own airline and completes the plane but it cannot take off. Someone forgot to install: root/boot/bin/flight/schedule/runway/load/capacity/length/terminal/wing/camber/liftoff.bin
And no one knows where to put it as the description is in several files.

Again I am not a Linux hater but at times Linux can be a real pain to get stuff to install. It will do 99.9% and forget on thing that you have to find and install by hand because a geek forgot to go back and edit his script when his did not work. lol reminds me of using DOS sometimes. Don"t believe me, look in doms thread about XBMC. lol
Just thought there should be some realism about the OS airlines. Linux does have its issues also. Dependencies!

Linux DID have issues with dependencies.  That is no longer the case.  All modern distros today have "point and click" installation of applications with the software resolving any dependency issue.

I guess you didn't read this article I linked in another post.  It demonstrates how easy it is to install a typical Linux distro in today's world.  Not the world of even two years ago, but today.  Not only did the author find it simple to install, but his mother-in-law, who had only used Windows previously, found it easy to use.

The issues you are talking about "in doms thread about XBMC" are because we are still dealing with the "developer's release" of the Pi.  Its whole purpose is so that the gurus can resolve these problem PRIOR to the educational release".

The Foundation doesn't have the resources that, say, Canonical has, to put together a distro that works OTOB.  So it decided to release the hardware to the general public so that the people with the knowledge and skills to do so, would perform that job for them.  By the time the "educational release" comes about, there will be an OTOB solution available.  Stick in a "store bought" SD card and boot to a desktop with the flavor of your choice.  And not all of the cards available will Linux.  There are already projects in the works for RiscOS and Android and there will be others.  Linux is only "recommended" by the Foundation.  Not demanded.

adlambert

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:45 pm

lewmur said:

Linux DID have issues with dependencies.  That is no longer the case.  All modern distros today have "point and click" installation of applications with the software resolving any dependency issue.

Well that's the theory.

Then there's the reality, which I experience regularly. Everything I do with linux ends up with me having to spend half an hour googling and sorting through forum support and all the unhelpful superciliousness that seems to follow linux around.

tufty

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:48 pm

What, you mean like being told that dependency issues are a thing of the past and that anyone claiming otherwise is a troll? Nope, never noticed that

As for whether we should expect the pi to be a full-on desktop machine - it"s more powerful (modulo lack of dedicated storage channels) than my still-in-use powerbook g4. It might not be what it"s designed for, but it certainly should be capable.

Simon

lewmur

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:06 pm

adlambert said:

lewmur said:

Well that's the theory.

Then there's the reality, which I experience regularly. Everything I do with linux ends up with me having to spend half an hour googling and sorting through forum support and all the unhelpful superciliousness that seems to follow linux around.

Well, I've heard that there are those that aren't capable of using Linux, but, like I said, I've got a lot of Grandmas and Grandpas that don't have any problems.  The "theory" works quite well for most people.  And people who don't approach the Linux forums with an "attitude", seem to get all the help they need.  Maybe it's only those who think the people who are trying to help are "supercilious" that find things unhelpful.

lewmur

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:28 pm

tufty said:

What, you mean like being told that dependency issues are a thing of the past and that anyone claiming otherwise is a troll? Nope, never noticed that

Dependencies will definitely be an issue for *developers*.  But to claim they are an issue for the "point and click" type of user, that installs apps via Synaptic or Ubuntu's Software Center, is pushing FUD.  And pushing FUD is the act of a troll.

jefferzbooboo

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:34 pm

nmcc said:

jefferzbooboo said:

Why?  Because I've never posted here before?  I posted what I did to prove that some people learn on old hardware, you don't have to have the latest and greatest to learn.

Chris.Rowland

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Joe Schmoe said:

I think the Windoze people (and, in a somewhat different way, also the Mac people) have done a "better" job of stigmatizing the command prompt than the Linux people.  In many circles (and I'm guessing that of the OP and also his sock puppet who is posting now, now that the OP has been banned), it is consider immoral (and bordering on illegal) to use the command prompt in Windoze.  When you do it, they look at you funny.

This doesn't happen in Linux.  Even if you are (were) "grandma and grandpa", if you do drop down to a command prompt (e.g., a "Terminal" window on the "desktop"), people won't start whispering about you.  That's a good thing, but it bugs the p*ss out folks like the OP (and his sock puppet(s)).

Joe, By "Sock Puppet" do you mean me?  It is the way I see what your post means .  If it is not a personal attack on me then please say who you are referring to.  I ask because this sort of innuendo seems to me to be exactly the sort of thing I am complaining about – the sort of thing that makes this group a nasty place to be.

Chris.Rowland

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:13 pm

lewmur said:

tufty said:

Dependencies will definitely be an issue for *developers*.  But to claim they are an issue for the "point and click" type of user, that installs apps via Synaptic or Ubuntu"s Software Center, is pushing FUD.  And pushing FUD is the act of a troll.

Lewkmur:

How do you load Synaptic without using the command line?

How do you get it to run without using the command line?

You can't.  What you need to do is use:

$ sudo apt-get install synaptic

then follow one of the posts about superuser access in LXDE before synaptic will run. That's another command line option.

This is using the current Debian install on the pi.

Abusing people because they don't know this is in my opinion unacceptable.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 pm

jefferzbooboo said:

nmcc said:

jefferzbooboo said:

Why?  Because I've never posted here before?  I posted what I did to prove that some people learn on old hardware, you don't have to have the latest and greatest to learn.

I agree with booboo, and I wrote the original comment. Thinking about it, its perfectly feasible that he could have learnt on a Spectrum. Didn't excuse the rudeness/concern trolling of the origin OP's post though. Given what he has written elsewhere, its was a wise decision to ban.

And on that note of rudeness, I see things are getting out of hand in this thread. Despite asking for people to keep calm, I detect too much sniping at each others Linux/Windows preferences, so I'm closing the thread. This is not the place for OS wars. I use both, and prefer one of them. Not saying which.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”