Huntington

Re: EBay sale Guy trying to sell Pi for 500 bucks.

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:08 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspbe.....3a738c789a

I feel that this is completely uncalled for and crosses a line or two.  This guy is trying to make profit off of the raspberry pi foundation.

Nick Brian Walters

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Look I have had a couple people message me on ebay and complain. Most have looked up bargain basement parts, left out my shipping costs, as well as not included numerous parts needed to make a system run. Am I profiting. YES. am I making a killing, no. I will be personally assembling, wiring, modifying power systems, testing, and then sending out the door. I'm not scamming anyone, I support anyone who wants to do it themselves, and I myself am building up that exact system for myself, and figured there might be a couple people wanting the same, and in a finished and already assembled state.

At the end of the day, if you don't want to buy a complete system from me...don't.

e30andrew

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:17 pm

yes, this is ridiculous, and a little offensive. it goes against all that rasberry pi stands for.

If there was truly $500 worth of hardware in the sale it wouldn't be so bad, but all the hardware he is including isn't worth more than 200 bucks. I have reported it to ebay.

Nick Brian Walters

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm not going to list all the parts and their cost, or where I'm getting them, or approximate what my time is worth for the work....I will summarize them as a general whole and say my costs range over $400.

rmm200

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Not in violation of any EBay policies I am aware of - and thanks Nick for not coming on here to advertise.

Nick Brian Walters

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:33 pm

I just want to set the record straight. I live in a capitalistic society, and I feel perfectly comfortable taking multiple parts from many vendors, assembling them, and selling for a profit...it's how the world works.

I realize everyone here can do it cheaper, and I hope they do. I just know that there will be a few people to whom this sounds interesting, but they won't want to fiddle so much...I saw a niche, and I think I can fill it, and do that job well.

joe

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:40 pm

You mentioned the word 'turnkey' a couple of times. What do you mean when you say that?

Nick Brian Walters

Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:44 pm

turnkey is a term that means you don't have to assemble anything yourself. When it arrives you just turn it on(linux skills not included lol).

MattPurland

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:05 pm

I thought it was against the Ts&Cs to sell an item you don't actually own? Correct me if I'm wrong!

mkopack

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:07 pm

No offense Nick, but I have a few issues with this whole thing:

1) You're saying you're going to power the RPi off the USB on the monitor? HOW? Typical USB ports only put out 500ma, the RPi needs at least 700ma.

2) the Roswill USB hub you show in the pics is UNPOWERED, which means it's effectively WORTHLESS on the RPi, since the RPi's USB ports only put out about 100ma (just enough for a KB+Mouse) ,you need a powered hub.

3) I have to say I find it INCREDIBLY.... well... Sleezy is the best word I could think of... to sell on EBay something as "backordered" when you don't have it on hand to actually ship out and sell... Basically everyone just just handing you $500+ for a "promise" to ship

4) That keyboard - HORRIBLY small! NOBODY is going to be typing on that thing! It's literally the size of my iPhone...

and 5) Seriously??? $500???

RPi = $35 (ok, we'll say 45 with shipping and tax)

Powered USB hub = $20

a REAL USB KB+Mouse = $40 (if not less)

a FULL 1080P TV 22" = $175 (not that stupid dinky little 1024x600 POS you list)

PSU for the RPi = $15

8GB SD card (class 6) = $15 (worst case)

Grand total = 45+20+40+175+15+15 = $310

What EXACTLY do you think is worth the other $200 that you're doing? ESPECIALLY given that the parts you provide in this "Turnkey" setup 1) won't work and 2) are substandard at best???

Sure, you can try to scam some suckers, there's plenty of idiots out there who don't know anything and will pay that, but OMG what you're doing is pretty crappy, especially given point #3 above.

Nick Brian Walters

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:08 pm

As a goodwill gesture I've appended the listing. I have now added this at the bottom :

Just to let everyone know I'll be donating 5% of my profits(no I won't tell you what they are) to the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Nick.

I'm sure you're just doing the good old business buy low, sell high thing, and I wish you luck.  Doing it off the back of a charitable foundation?  Not so pretty.  Still, whatever floats your boat.

I just query your "stock".  6 available?   Given the current supply situation, if you have one Pi, you're lucky.  If you have more, then perhaps you have to explain how you got past the "one per person" rule.  If you're just hoping to get people to make pre-order payments against you getting the Raspberry Pis in, then it smells dodgy.

Personally, I wouldn't touch your offer with a bargepole, but thats MY opinion, 

And as for this topic, there's the potential for more heat than light so I'm locking it.

There!  Done.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

MattPurland

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Jeez, that's an absolute joke! $10 from a $190 profit? Also, I think you need to re-read mkopack's post...

Nick Brian Walters

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 pm

MKO : as I've said I'll be doing some modifications to the system, and as stated in the listing some items may be slightly changed….I'm referring to power, and especially USB.

I appreciate your input, and I've thought about the keyboard as well, and that isn't set in stone yet, but I'm hooting for a small portable system….this could be easily replaced of course.

Your list is almost right, still leaving things out, but as I said I don't want to give a full run down.

I'm also not going to be shipping with the kind of screen you're thinking of…I'm shooting for a small portable device. I can easily replace that screen of course.

To Matt : As for "owning" something. That is a fuzzy term. I have many of the parts on order, so in that sense I do own them. I think I make that more then clear in the listing.

To Jong : I don't feel I'm doing anything on the back of anyone. I'm doing good old fashioned work, research, and capitalism. The current distributors make a buck I bet and I'm not just selling the pi, it's just a piece in a puzzle. Raspberry Pi has created an amazing small computer, so why limit it to just tinkerers? Who doesn't want a full computer in a small package that is completely flexible...it's just plain cool.

benosteen

Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 pm

In summary, you are taking a device made by a charitable foundation - a non-profit organisation - and trying to profit from it.

You added the 5% kickback after it became clear that people had an issue with you attempting to profit from this yourself but you are going to decide what your profit is at your own discretion.

What you don't seem to accept, is that the Pi is at such a low price for a reason. Not a financial reason, but an ethical one.

To attempt to profit from this, by selling devices that you do not own, combined with vaguely specified accessories in a combination that you do not suggest that you will support once you've passed it on is very shady.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:34 am

What the seller is doing is perfectly legal and exactly why Apple has so much money in the bank - make low, sell high.

It's comes down, as always, to Caveat Emptor.

Locking (again)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “General discussion”