gkreidl

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:10 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:Awesome. Thanks. I'm book marking this.
Any solution on the web page with videos that I use?
Update never-mind. I was on that video and kept clicking on the video until it played and then it started to play. Weird, at first it seems like it was loading forever.

Update Seems like HTML5 Video is slower with Kweb3 than Epiphany. But I love the media features of Kweb3 and the play button extractor. It's great for youtube now :D Awesome work on making this thing.
kweb3 and epiphany are using different settings of the webkit engine at the moment. I had to do this to circumvent a few bugs.
These bugs seem to have been fixed with the latest upgrade a few days ago. I'm preparing a new kweb version which will use the same settings as epiphany (with one exception, but that can be altered by the user).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

PuppetHoundZ

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Don't give up on your app! I'll still use it even with new Pi (if and when I get one, :lol: )

Also what overclocking settings to you reccomend for use with Youtube-dl (I used the script that you made that is faster). IE. I think you browser is better than epiphany (until epiphany figures out how to utilize the GPU better than it already does and even then you're app is beast).

Also have you by chance got in touch with the Developer blockh34d of the media app called SCAMP? I think if you worked together to integrate his app instead of VLC it would work better than the combination OMXPlayerGUI and VLC. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91#p529191
Scamp Runs both videos and Music better than Both VLC (music) and OMXPlayerGUI (vidoe and music but limited with music imo).

Question with OMXPlayerGUI is there a way to open more than one music file for example: A whole folder of music? Or is there a command to use? Or is only .pls files work :?

Question 2 does Kweb store history or temporary files or does it delete them on exit or is that all part of not having Cookies enabled?

gkreidl

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:00 am

Q1: at the moment the only way to get a lot of files into omxplayerGUI (music. videos, or both) is to use a PLS or M3U playlist. Perhaps I really never thought about this because my own media server Edna++ delivers all the playlists I need (single files, folders, recursive folders, shuffled etc). The first thing I had in mind when starting the kweb project was to create a front end for my media server (and my TV server). Of course it has become much more over time.
OmxplayerGUI is mostly still an extension of kweb. But maybe I'll add some functionality to the standalone interface like opening folders etc. in the future.

Q2: by default, kweb runs in private browsing mode. Browsing history etc. are deleted when you close it. You can disable private browsing with the "P" option.
Cookies are stored independently in a file in the user directory (if cookies are enabled from the toolbar).

Development doesn't stop, although kweb looks rather polished to me at the moment. A new version will be soon published that takes care of the changes in the webkit libraries introduced with the latest epiphany update. kweb will then use the same settings as epiphany except for the fast scrolling mode (but it can be enabled with the "F" option).

Currently I'm waiting for my Pi2 to see how much kweb will profit from the new hardware.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

fr0zen

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 am

Yes it will be interesting to see how well Pi2 handles web browsing and Javascript etc!

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:49 am

fr0zen wrote:Yes it will be interesting to see how well Pi2 handles web browsing and Javascript etc!
One thing for sure it won't be as astonishingly bad as Iceweasel on a RPi1.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Navaneeth

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:54 am

Is there any way to open epiphany browser in full screen mode?
Raspberry pi user

gkreidl

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:35 am

Navaneeth wrote:Is there any way to open epiphany browser in full screen mode?
Why do you ask this in this thread? Wrong place.
I haven't seen an option to run epiphany in full screen mode, yet.

PuppetHoundZ

Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:52 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Navaneeth wrote:Is there any way to open epiphany browser in full screen mode?
Why do you ask this in this thread? Wrong place.
I haven't seen an option to run epiphany in full screen mode, yet.
Updated
For Epiphany:

Code: Select all

F11
but within X ofcourse

For Kweb:

Alt-F

PuppetHoundZ

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:33 pm

I've been trying Kweb3 with my RPiB+ with turbo overclock!

It's amazing and more stable for me to use in Turbo mode (weird)! Even epiphany playing video never crashes now. You're app is beast. Youtube-dl loads super fast with Turbo enabled. It's stunning.

StephanT

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi,
I love kweb but there is one feature I miss.
I would like to use kweb3 with autoplay function for videos inside a webpage? Is it possible? As I read in your changelog you wrote "In kweb3 auto start of media files has been blocked (not possible in webkit1)" Is it historic or why is it not possible im webkit1? How can I unblock it?

I included the video with the following command:
<video width="320" height="240" autoplay>
<source src="../Videos/testvideo.mp4" type="video/mp4">
</video>

Thanks for reply

gkreidl

Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:11 pm

StephanT wrote:Hi,
I would like to use kweb3 with autoplay function for videos inside a webpage? Is it possible? As I read in your changelog you wrote "In kweb3 auto start of media files has been blocked (not possible in webkit1)" Is it historic or why is it not possible im webkit1? How can I unblock it?

</video>

Thanks for reply
No, not historic but personal preference. I don't like videos starting by itself on a web page (and often blocking everyhting else). Perhaps I'll make it switchable in the nest version (coming soon).

PuppetHoundZ

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:06 pm

StephanT wrote:Hi,

</video>

Thanks for reply
Auto play can be a bit spammy. Especially if videos that are embedded in ads start auto playing or worse and I'll leave it at that.

gkreidl

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:27 pm

PuppetHoundZ wrote: Auto play can be a bit spammy. Especially if videos that are embedded in ads start auto playing or worse and I'll leave it at that.
Yes, this is true for normal web browsing (and that's why it is disabled), but quite a lot of people are using kweb for kiosk applications and auto starting of videos may be exactly what they need.

PuppetHoundZ

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:49 pm

gkreidl wrote: Yes, this is true for normal web browsing (and that's why it is disabled), but quite a lot of people are using kweb for kiosk applications and auto starting of videos may be exactly what they need.
Maybe make it a setting or script that can be put into Kweb that can be manually turned on. If not I was just trying to make a point as to why you replied the way you did :geek: :D

gkreidl

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:09 am

The latest omxplayer update from the repository creates a serious problem with omxplayerGUI. Dbus commands 'setvideopos' and 'unhidevideo' are broken and that means that omxplayerGUI will loose video, when you resize or move a video window.

The bug is known and a fix has been submitted, but it has not found its way into the latest version available via apt-get upgrade. See https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/pull/307 and https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/issues/313 for details.

Until this is fixed, users of kweb should avoid that update or manually install an earlier version again from http://omxplayer.sconde.net/

Edit: solved with latest version from http://omxplayer.sconde.net/. More details here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 18#p698218
Last edited by gkreidl on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mizu

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:10 am

Hello every one !

I'm testing Kweb and my first question is :
Is it possible to save User/Password of a web page ?

I have plans to set up computers for beginners and I would like some pages saves password.

Thanks for reply

gkreidl

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:15 am

Version 1.6.3 has been released

The new version 1.6.3 provides a few changes to kweb3 and the :command editor (kwebhelper_set.py). It is available from the first posting in this thread or by using the "program update" function in kweb's menu page.

Changes in kweb3
In earlier versions I had to disable some features of the new webkit3 engine to prevent bugs by setting some environment variables. As the latest updates of epiphany/webkit3 have fixed most of these bugs, these restrictions are not needed any more. In fact, kweb3 does run now with exactly the same settings as epiphany with one exception: fast scrolling is disabled by default (I prefer the WYSIWYG scrolling mode and don't like the flashing checkered background). But you can enable it with the experimental (F) option, if you like it.

The chapter "Configuring Kweb3 With Environment Variables" of the kweb manual is obsolete now (it also contained some errors, as I've recently learned),

Known bugs: kweb3 (and epiphany) may crash, if you move the slider in web videos to jump forward or backward.

Changes to the :command editor
The third kind of command links introduced in version 1.6.2 is now also supported by the editor. If you include a line starting with
name=#....
a button or link will be created, that inserts the text following the '#' into the URL entry line and executes it (even if it is hidden in kiosk mode).With this option all URL line command types can be executed (e. g. web search, setting the spelling language or the user agent etc.).

The default application page has been extended and contains some useful examples (a number of user agent buttons, for example).
But the old application page will not be overwritten when you update kweb (in case you have modified it). To get the new application page, run the following commands after updating kweb:

sudo rm /usr/local/share/kweb/kweb_about_a.txt
sudo kwebhelper_set.py
If you have extended your application page, you should copy your changes and add them again afterwards.

gkreidl

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Mizu wrote: I'm testing Kweb and my first question is :
Is it possible to save User/Password of a web page ?

I have plans to set up computers for beginners and I would like some pages saves password.

Thanks for reply
No, that's beyond the scope of kweb. It would require
1) a database to store the data (security?)
2) - and more important: completely analyzing the DOM structure of every page you visit. This would blow up code (and binary) to a very large degree. It wouldn't be a "Minimal" browser any more. It would also slow down everything considerably.

If security is not very important and if the website supports it, you can save links like
http://user:[email protected]
in the bookmarks page.

Mizu

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:40 pm

Ok, thank you for your quick response.
I will study it.

Another problem:
These users will connect to a webmail (Outlook Web Access) and I noticed that the downloaded attachments in 'attachment.ashx'.
Have you heard of that?

gkreidl

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Mizu wrote: Another problem:
These users will connect to a webmail (Outlook Web Access) and I noticed that the downloaded attachments in 'attachment.ashx'.
Have you heard of that?
No. Test it and report back.
kweb handles downloads either with wget or uget; both use the same cookie database as kweb.

aufdroge

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi,

I tried to play some videos and music, so I go to the site with the video or music content. Then I pressed the play button, but nothing happens.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance

gkreidl

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:04 pm

The "Play" button supports two kinds of web video_
1) HTML5 video embedded into the page.
2) Web video (inclusing flash player) on all websites supported by youtube-dl (almost 200 now).
You need a recent and updated youtube-dl (not from the repository). Check the kweb manual for details.

If video is embedded using iframes it usually won't work. But you can right click into the iframe and open it in a new window and then click the play button.

aufdroge

Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:33 pm

Thanks for your response
gkreidl wrote: You need a recent and updated youtube-dl (not from the repository).
It is the newest version and is working properly at the console.
gkreidl wrote:If video is embedded using iframes it usually won't work. But you can right click into the iframe and open it in a new window and then click the play button.
If I do a right click, there are only two options: go back and reload.

Also I tried to change some settings, but nothing seems to work.

I really don't know what to do at this point.

Edit: OK, now it is working, youtube-dl was installed in the wrong directory, but I don't know why.

PuppetHoundZ

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:53 pm

gkreidl wrote:The latest omxplayer update from the repository creates a serious problem with omxplayerGUI. Dbus commands 'setvideopos' and 'unhidevideo' are broken and that means that omxplayerGUI will loose video, when you resize or move a video window.

The bug is known and a fix has been submitted, but it has not found its way into the latest version available via apt-get upgrade. See https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/pull/307 and https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/issues/313 for details.

Until this is fixed, users of kweb should avoid that update or manually install an earlier version again from http://omxplayer.sconde.net/

Current work around with dealing with the new OMX Player is to do the following if you don't want to go back to earlier version.:
When you play a video using Alt-P. to get the video to play in the way or location you want.
Steps:
1. Alt-P
2. When video plays press "Q"
3. Resize video or Go full screen and Hide GUI (pretty much position the video in the location you want it to play).
4. Play the video by clicking on the text name of the video in the window
5. Video should play resized now.

Hope this helps for those who are too scared to go backwards like me.

gkreidl

Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:12 pm

PuppetHoundZ wrote: Current work around with dealing with the new OMX Player is to do the following if you don't want to go back to earlier version.:
When you play a video using Alt-P. to get the video to play in the way or location you want.
Steps:
1. Alt-P
2. When video plays press "Q"
3. Resize video or Go full screen and Hide GUI (pretty much position the video in the location you want it to play).
4. Play the video by clicking on the text name of the video in the window
5. Video should play resized now.

Hope this helps for those who are too scared to go backwards like me.
Yes, of course you can handle it that way, but that's not the way it's supposed to work. But the bug fix is already on github and a new versionpf omxplayer should be available soon.

BTW, you can edit the settings so that omxplayerGUI starts with maximized window mode or plays full screen immediately.

Return to “Raspbian”