Dhruvin Pipalia

NoIR Camera with motion

Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:53 am

Hello, I wanted the live streaming using raspberry pi and a camera module, so i bought NoIR camera because it is made for RPI and i read that it can record 1080p at 30 fps and 720p at 60 fps so that will be enough for me and i successfully made the live streaming with the help of following tutorial.
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/665 ... nce-camera

BUT It has framerate of 2 which is not good and Im getting very slow responce in the streaming, so i tried to change the configuration too like chege the frameset per second to 30 and stream_frameset to 30 too but still its very slow almost same as 2 freamset.

and since RPI using its custom library for camera if i am starting motion demon then i cant take pictures or anything using its commnads so i think i can only use that libraby in any one running application so live streaming and motion detection both things should work in a same module-application.

Now i want 720p @30fps live streaming and if possibel then motion detection too. Is it possible?

Mark_T

Re: NoIR Camera with motion

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:02 pm

What coding are you using? I believe only the H.264 coding is supported in hardware, you
definitely need to use this for performance - anything else is likely to be converted on the CPU
not the VideoCore processor, and this will be orders of magnitude slower.

Dhruvin Pipalia

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:28 am

Mark_T wrote:What coding are you using? I believe only the H.264 coding is supported in hardware, you
definitely need to use this for performance - anything else is likely to be converted on the CPU
not the VideoCore processor, and this will be orders of magnitude slower.
yeah that could be the problem so how do i do that ?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:12 am

MJPEG or H264 will achieve 1080P30 or 720P49. Asking for raw images in an form at 720P is going to result in a lot of data, and the ARM will be overloaded trying to encode it.
I don't know whether motion-mmal can cope with either of these.

I assume you have noticed the line in the config those instructions tell you of

Code: Select all

framerate 2
Does tweaking that up really not achieve anything?
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

dozencrows

Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:26 pm

Basically the motion detection and movie encoding for live streaming are running on the Pi CPU, and demanding a lot of processing power - hence the low frame rate. Because of the way motion works, it needs serious changing to make use of the Pi's H264 GPU video encoding.

As a step in that direction, have a read through the following thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=75240

This describes some improvements that can achieve a much higher framerate, but probably not dramatically so for live streaming - it does work well for capturing a sequence of individual frames (up to 15 fps has been achieved that way).

Dhruvin Pipalia

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:57 am

6by9 wrote:MJPEG or H264 will achieve 1080P30 or 720P49. Asking for raw images in an form at 720P is going to result in a lot of data, and the ARM will be overloaded trying to encode it.
I don't know whether motion-mmal can cope with either of these.

I assume you have noticed the line in the config those instructions tell you of

Code: Select all

framerate 2
Does tweaking that up really not achieve anything?

i tried to change it to 20 but at 720P it is working very slow.

Dhruvin Pipalia

Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:02 am

dozencrows wrote:Basically the motion detection and movie encoding for live streaming are running on the Pi CPU, and demanding a lot of processing power - hence the low frame rate. Because of the way motion works, it needs serious changing to make use of the Pi's H264 GPU video encoding.

As a step in that direction, have a read through the following thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=75240

This describes some improvements that can achieve a much higher framerate, but probably not dramatically so for live streaming - it does work well for capturing a sequence of individual frames (up to 15 fps has been achieved that way).

is there any way so that i can send my stream to server which will do all the processing ?

Return to “Camera board”