vectraboyv6

Re: Minimal Kiosk Browser

Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:51 pm

dont understand the instructions but am trying to use it as a kiosk. so from the command line into a full screen webpage from 192.168.1.150/index.html

help please?

gkreidl

Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:47 pm

Where's the problem?
Read page 27 of the kweb manual.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

rgjamkhedkar

Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:35 am

I am trying to run browser in kiosk mode. The page is loaded correctly, images are displayed and video is loaded. But video does not autoplay. I tried to call play from javascript. But even that does not work. Only when I use mouse and click play, video plays. Can I change any config make video play automatically.

gkreidl

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:21 am

rgjamkhedkar wrote:I am trying to run browser in kiosk mode. The page is loaded correctly, images are displayed and video is loaded. But video does not autoplay. I tried to call play from javascript. But even that does not work. Only when I use mouse and click play, video plays. Can I change any config make video play automatically.
No, this is hard coded into kweb at the moment, so it requires a change in the source code. (I really hate it if videos start playing automatically).
I can compile a special version (kweb3, I suppose) for you, if you like. Contact me by PM and include your email address.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

jamkirbs

Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Since I'm new with this rpi, I cannot say that I did the right thing to do. After i installed this kweb, nothing happened. I cant say that something is new. I dont know if i need to install something or what. I need answer. Thanks in advance.

DirkS

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:26 pm

jamkirbs wrote:Since I'm new with this rpi, I cannot say that I did the right thing to do. After i installed this kweb, nothing happened. I cant say that something is new. I dont know if i need to install something or what. I need answer. Thanks in advance.
What do you mean with
After i installed this kweb, nothing happened
? Did you actually try to run it? After reading the manual, of course...

jamkirbs

Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:41 pm

How can i run it? After installing, nothing happened. My desktop doesnt change. Well i didnt found any changes happened to my rpi. I mean after reaching the end of the line of the installation, i dont know what's next to do.

DirkS

Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:24 pm

jamkirbs wrote:How can i run it? After installing, nothing happened. My desktop doesnt change. Well i didnt found any changes happened to my rpi. I mean after reaching the end of the line of the installation, i dont know what's next to do.
Again, have you read the docs?
See http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 60#p333125

Gr.
Dirk.

James_Owens

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Do you plan to add tabs as an option to your web browser?
At this point this is the fastest browser on the Pi which supports JS. Tabs is the only feature I miss. Thanks for the answer.

gkreidl

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:16 am

James_Owens wrote:Do you plan to add tabs as an option to your web browser?
At this point this is the fastest browser on the Pi which supports JS. Tabs is the only feature I miss. Thanks for the answer.
Definitely not. It was a design decision from the beginning not to do that.

One of the things you have to learn using the RPi efficiently, is to do one thing at a time. Current web engines are memory hogs and if you watch your resources when you open a few web pages at the same time you will see that you easily run out of memory and when it starts swapping everything will slow down dramatically. There's also the problem of endlessly running javascripts on many websites (mostly to reload new ads), which clog the small CPU of the RPi easily.

On my desktop PC I often have a dozen or more web pages open at the same time (within a tabbed browser, of course). But that's not the recommended way on the RPi. It's always possible to open another browser window, of course, if you need it.

James_Owens

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:20 am

I understand. Right now 8 kweb3 windows running websites (+claws email) use 163 MB of RAM. 33-50% of CPU usage with all that and LXMusic playing some mp3's. Light configuration is the key.

Of course Rpi is overclocked do 1100MHz.

gkreidl

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:46 am

If you run your root FS from HDD it will speed things up even more (caching on disk is much faster then).

James_Owens

Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Yup. Running on HDD. Unfortunately I can't get more than 27.5 MB/sec (best result) on USB port. Anyway, I have found the source code and you are redistributing it under GNU 3.
Now it's my problem to add things to the browser in my free time. Thanks for all your work.

PuppetHoundZ

Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:09 am

I read the whole manual on Kweb and I have one or two questions. First off I haven't installed yet.

Q1: I read that Youtube-dl has to be install a different way to work properly as it says to do a few terminal commands for it to install properly so that update features work. It also mentions that the Pi may need to be overclocked for this to run properly with out having to wait a long time. I'm a fan of the default clock. If I used the advanced way of install youtube-dl that reduceses load time by half would I still be waiting a long time if I'm using default clock.

Q2: Would installing Kweb in anyway inhibit the performance or future updates of the Epiphany Browser or mess with any of the files of Raspbian's OS future dist-upgrades if I decide to install Kweb as a alternative with Epiphany still installed? I don't want to install this and realize that I have to reinstall Raspbian because somthing broke, LOL.

If you can provide answers. I may jump on installing this browser in the next few days. :D

Keep up the good work too. The manual on this browser sort of makes Raspbian have a sort of media-center solution for those who love to stick with Raspbian rather than mess with Kodi (XMBC or Raspbmc).

James_Owens

Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:59 am

Q1 : I've installed youtube-dl normally
sudo apt-get install youtube-dl
Q2 : I have both Epiphany and kweb. No observable problems. Epiphany is obviously slower than kweb.

If you want to have proper icons in kweb3 you need to install gtk3 packages.
That is all.

Latest python and omxplayer is a smart idea.
Internet on raspberry pi without overclocking will always lag unless you use a text browse. Links2 -g will render images and work pretty fast on stock clock but it does not support javascript.

ktb

Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:11 am

Epiphany does seem to be working better for me in general. I used dconf-editor to set a Firefox mobile user-agent string and activated both enable-webaudio and enable-webgl.

Kweb3 is also working very well. I've been playing vimeo.com and dailymotion.com videos somewhat normally directly in the browser.

Note: My B+ is overclocked and I do have cgroup_enable=memory in cmdline.txt. I also use a huge /etc/hosts file for ad-blocking.

@PuppetHoundZ - I recommend installing the latest youtube-dl (using the scripts included with kweb makes it easy).

gkreidl

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:05 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:I read the whole manual on Kweb and I have one or two questions. First off I haven't installed yet.

Q1: I read that Youtube-dl has to be install a different way to work properly as it says to do a few terminal commands for it to install properly so that update features work. It also mentions that the Pi may need to be overclocked for this to run properly with out having to wait a long time. I'm a fan of the default clock. If I used the advanced way of install youtube-dl that reduceses load time by half would I still be waiting a long time if I'm using default clock.

Q2: Would installing Kweb in anyway inhibit the performance or future updates of the Epiphany Browser or mess with any of the files of Raspbian's OS future dist-upgrades if I decide to install Kweb as a alternative with Epiphany still installed? I don't want to install this and realize that I have to reinstall Raspbian because somthing broke, LOL.

If you can provide answers. I may jump on installing this browser in the next few days. :D

Keep up the good work too. The manual on this browser sort of makes Raspbian have a sort of media-center solution for those who love to stick with Raspbian rather than mess with Kodi (XMBC or Raspbmc).
kweb and epiphany don't interfere in any way. But if a new epiphany update is installed (got one yestersay) with new webkit3 libraries this will also influence kweb3.

My main use of kweb is as a front end for my media and tv servers and as a desktop replacement,

gkreidl

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:33 am

James_Owens wrote:Q1 : I've installed youtube-dl normally
sudo apt-get install youtube-dl
Q2 : I have both Epiphany and kweb. No observable problems. Epiphany is obviously slower than kweb.

If you want to have proper icons in kweb3 you need to install gtk3 packages.
That is all.

Latest python and omxplayer is a smart idea.
Internet on raspberry pi without overclocking will always lag unless you use a text browse. Links2 -g will render images and work pretty fast on stock clock but it does not support javascript.
Youtube-dl from the repo is very old and will kill itself, if you try to run an update with
sudo youtube-dl -U
As the websites are changing all the time, youtube-dl has to be changed very often and many things won't work without updating, Use one of the two methods described in the kweb manual to get a working version. The second method will provide a faster version. Youtube-dl imports well above 100 modules and that makes it slow to start on the RPi. The second method imports the pyc modules instead of py modules and that makes it much faster.

Which gtk3 packages do you mean? gkt3 should be installed by default (it's also used by epiphany).
I've noticed that a few icon sets don't include all the icons used by kweb3. Changing the icon set usually solves the problem.

There are a few tricks you can use on the RPi to get a better browser experience. The most important is, to use Javascript only if you really need it. That's the reason for the Javascript button in the toolbar. Many websites using lots of Javascript will still work without it - and be much faster then. One website that I often use is fernsehserien.de. With Javascript disabled it loads within 3 seconds and is fully usable. Using Javascript it may take half a minute and you'll get a lot of flashing ads that even put more stress on our little CPU.

PuppetHoundZ

Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Thanks everyone for the reply. I'll be trying the browser out :D

Wow Just installed everything really easy and I installed the faster version of Youtube-dl as mentioned in the manual! I'm running default clock and it's super fast like a regular desktop browser!

This is great ITS like a MEDIA CENTER app for Raspbian!

Btw, does the link in the default home page:
"Check for Program Update" Also update Youtube-DL or do I have to still use the special command in the manual

Code: Select all

update­-ytdl
Update: I finally settled on 128MB GPU allocation.

I do notice that some websites will not work with Youtube-DL and I still have to use Epiphany. What settings need to be enabled in Kweb3 for allow for Browser HTML5 video without OMX. When I go to a website that I enjoy a lot it won't work just loads video forever with around 50% cpu use.

Update 2: How do you clear cookies or by default is it in incognito mode?

gkreidl

Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:18 pm

The program update function on the menu or control panel pages is only for kweb updates, not for youtube-dl updates. In your case you need to run update-ytdl to update it,

Can you give me an example link of a web page with the video problems you describe?

Cookies are saved in a file in your home directory (if you enable the use of cookies in the toolbar). If you want to remove all cookies, delete this file with:

rm /.web_cookie_jar
This file is also used for downloading files with wget or uget.

PuppetHoundZ

Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:24 pm

Ok Thanks for letting me know how to delete cookies. Would be nice to have a delete button on this thing but the manual way is fine. :D But my terminal say no such file or directory.

This site won't play videos with Youtube-dl or just html5 support but it works in Epiphany. This is a site I do a lot of Testing with on Epiphany 8-) :
http://tv.jw.org/#video/VODChildren/doc ... _E_1_VIDEO

gkreidl

Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 am

PuppetHoundZ wrote:Ok Thanks for letting me know how to delete cookies. Would be nice to have a delete button on this thing but the manual way is fine. :D But my terminal say no such file or directory.

This site won't play videos with Youtube-dl or just html5 support but it works in Epiphany. This is a site I do a lot of Testing with on Epiphany 8-) :
http://tv.jw.org/#video/VODChildren/doc ... _E_1_VIDEO
You can add such a button yourself. Select applications on the menu page. Click "Edit". In the editor add a line at the bottom

Delete Cookies=rm ~/.web_cookie_jar
Save and close the editor. On the application page click "Generate Page". If you open the application page again you have a button that lets you delete cookies.

PuppetHoundZ

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:17 am

Awesome. Thanks. I'm book marking this.
Any solution on the web page with videos that I use?
Update never-mind. I was on that video and kept clicking on the video until it played and then it started to play. Weird, at first it seems like it was loading forever.

Update Seems like HTML5 Video is slower with Kweb3 than Epiphany. But I love the media features of Kweb3 and the play button extractor. It's great for youtube now :D Awesome work on making this thing.

22solutions

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:12 am

hi all
im sorry if i missed this in the readme but is there a way to set a default zoom using kweb? im running in kiosk mode but would like to set the default zoom for a page to 90%. is there a way to send a alt+- once my page has loaded? like http://my.page.com/mypage.html?kbd=-
i tried this but it didn't work. once its loaded i can use keyboard to zoom - but its a kiosk display with no peripherals.

gkreidl

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:00 am

22solutions wrote:hi all
im sorry if i missed this in the readme but is there a way to set a default zoom using kweb? im running in kiosk mode but would like to set the default zoom for a page to 90%. is there a way to send a alt+- once my page has loaded? like http://my.page.com/mypage.html?kbd=-
i tried this but it didn't work. once its loaded i can use keyboard to zoom - but its a kiosk display with no peripherals.
There is no method to set the initial zoom built into kweb.
In your special case a solution could be to use a special HTML file as start page. This file (may be a black blank web page), includes two things:
1) a small iframe with a src argument like this
src="file:///homepage.html?kbd=-"
2) a redirection to the real start page of your kiosk application.

Make sure, command execution is enabled ( "C" option).

Return to “Raspbian”