ebrobotic

Raspbian 1.3.11 Item not in menu

Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:26 pm

I installed luvcview, but it is not showing up in the menu anywhere. I tried to reinstall it, but it says it is installed. How do I get it to show up in the menu? With my 1.3.10 version it was in the Other area.

gkreidl

Re: Raspbian 1.3.11 Item not in menu

Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:11 am

This is definitely a bug in the new desktop application menu and you should report it as such!

All GUI applications, that are installed with a proper desktop file in /usr/share/applications MUST appear somewhere in the applications menu.

I almost expected something like this when I read the blog article about the new UI. For "design" reasons, the category "Other" was discarded. So what does happen when a program doesn't fit into any of the categories which the designer likes and has set up?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mad-hatter

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:27 am

Hello,

There is a post somewhere about how to add back the 'Other' menu to the new Raspbian GUI.
I can't find it at the moment, but it does work.

Regards

gkreidl

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:52 am

mad-hatter wrote:Hello,

There is a post somewhere about how to add back the 'Other' menu to the new Raspbian GUI.

Regards
Wrong answer. That's something that must work out of the box. If an application menu hides installed GUI applications for "design reasons" it's simply rubbish.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

mad-hatter

Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:11 am

Hello,

Found it, a post by BillStephenson , scroll down its near the end of the page, how to add the 'Other' menu:-
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... other+menu
gkreidl wrote:Wrong answer. That's something that must work out of the box. If an application menu hides installed GUI applications for "design reasons" it's simply rubbish.
The 'Other 'menu does not show out of the box, you have to add it.

Regards

gkreidl

Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:50 pm

You simply don't understand what I'm talking about.

Do you know any application menu on any linux distribution that "by design" hides regularly installed applications? What do you tell a new user who installs a regular GUI program and cannot find it in the application menu afterwards?

If design kills required functionality it's not only bad design, it's "buggy by design".

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:01 pm

ebrobotic wrote:I installed luvcview, but it is not showing up in the menu anywhere. I tried to reinstall it, but it says it is installed. How do I get it to show up in the menu? With my 1.3.10 version it was in the Other area.
There is no Raspbian version 1.3.xx that is the NOBS Installer version ;)
Rather than negativity think outside the box !

Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer.

ebrobotic

Sat May 23, 2015 12:53 am

I posted this back in January, but found a website that talked about setting up a desktop file and an icon. I got that to work okay on my Raspberry Pi B+. But I just recently purchased a Raspberry Pi 2 and installed the latest Raspbian OS. Guess what I installed Luvcview and it would not show up in the menu. However, this time nothing I did would get it to show up in the menu. So this is still a problem and it appears there is not a good write up on how to add menu items or categories. Could someone come up with something that works and put it into the Raspberry Pi tutorial?

ebrobotic

Sat May 23, 2015 12:56 am

I guess I have been installing the NOOBS. But shouldn't installed items still show up in the menu?

ktb

Sat May 23, 2015 2:56 am

I agree with gkreidl. These are just some of the reasons I'm not a fan of some of the new UI mods (since December 2014?). Plain LXDE works better for me.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat May 23, 2015 6:43 pm

gkreidl wrote:
mad-hatter wrote:Hello,

Regards
Wrong answer. That's something that must work out of the box. If an application menu hides installed GUI applications for "design reasons" it's simply rubbish.
Whereas I would argue that if an application's developer cannot be bothered to categorise it in any of the numerous categories which the FreeDesktop spec allows (http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-s ... t/apa.html - all of which *will* display on the Pi under Raspbian), then the fault is with the application developer, not the desktop environment. This is not a "bug" in the desktop environment; it is a very deliberate design decision.

As I have explained before, the Other menu is, frankly, a godawful mess. Half the items in it don't actually do anything when you click on them; most have cryptic names that mean nothing to most users, and it duplicates numerous items which are already in the menu system elsewhere. On top of that, making a user hunt through a list of 30 or 40 items (which is the size it had under default Raspbian) is plain bad design - that's why hierarchical menus exist.

It is gone from the default Raspbian image, and it is not coming back. If people want to restore it themselves, that's fine - use the instructions linked above. But the *correct* thing to do is to modify the application's .desktop file to put it in a sensible menu category.

gkreidl

Sat May 23, 2015 9:03 pm

I completely agree with you that this "others" menu was a mess. It should only show items, that don't fit into any of the normal categories, no duplicates etc. That shouldn't be many, even none on many systems.

Return to “General discussion”