Luke269

HDMI to VGA cable

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:41 pm

hi< does anyone know where i can get a hdmi to vga cable that will work with the raspberry pi?

thankyou:)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: cable,

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:34 pm

I hope you started with reading this?
http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Setup#Display

If so you would have read that the answer is nowhere!
HDMI to VGA "cables" do not work with the RPI, there are no analog signals on the RPI's HDMI connector.

There are some HDMI to VGA adapters, but these need an external power supply, as they use a lot of chips to capture the HDMI picture in a memory, then create a VGA signal from that picture, therefore they are quite costly (could easily cost double the price of the RPI itself), and also can only accept and generate a few resolutions, which may not fit your setup. In short I wouldn't want to use one myself!

It would be generally -much- cheaper to buy a second hand old LCD monitor that has DVI-D input, but be careful not to buy one with a DVI-A only connector, as these are little more than simple VGA monitors with a different connector used. a real DVI-D connector has all the connector holes in the 3x8 array of pinholes, and can be had for about $50,- Most support resolutions of 1024 x 768.
Sound has to come out through the analog audio output through, so you need a set of amplified speakers too.

Luke269

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:19 pm

ok, would an s-video (yellow cable thing) to vga work, and if so do you know where i can get one?

infact...... would this work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-DVD-DVR- ... 336e9a9bee

thankyou

AndrewS

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:04 am

Yeah that should work, but you'll probably only get 640x480 out of it, as "AV" (composite) video is only a low-resolution signal. Just for the sake of completeness: the Pi doesn't have s-video output.

You may find http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... lit=neewer interesting :)

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:37 pm

mahjongg wrote:I hope you started with reading this?

HDMI to VGA "cables" do not work with the RPI, there are no analog signals on the RPI's HDMI connector.

There are some HDMI to VGA adapters, but these need an external power supply, as they use a lot of chips to capture the HDMI picture in a memory, then create a VGA signal from that picture, therefore they are quite costly (could easily cost double the price of the RPI itself), and also can only accept and generate a few resolutions, which may not fit your setup. In short I wouldn't want to use one myself!

It would be generally -much- cheaper to buy a second hand old LCD monitor that has DVI-D input, but be careful not to buy one with a DVI-A only connector, as these are little more than simple VGA monitors with a different connector used. a real DVI-D connector has all the connector holes in the 3x8 array of pinholes, and can be had for about $50,- Most support resolutions of 1024 x 768.
Sound has to come out through the analog audio output through, so you need a set of amplified speakers too.
Hi.. if what you say above is TRUE... then what about this product here.. and all the satisfied customers... Are they lying??

Is the company lying??

Cable 1

Here is the URL: HDMI to VGA Converter for Raspberry Pi (with Audio)
[url]https://#www.crazypi.com/RASPBERRY-PI-HDMI-TO-VGA[/url]
And, the price 990 Indian Rupees which USD16.

Update: After my reply to this posting... The price on crazypi is now reduced to INR750 (USD 12)... I now get to trust these guys (crazypi) in all their honesty and quick action.

Cable 2

And, I have seen similar product for much cheaper in here:
[url]http://#www.flipkart.com/leoxsys-tv-out-cable-hd-1300-audio-hdmi-vga-audio-cable/p/itmdwq3uhnfsccyy[/url]

which is INR530 = USD8 (half of above).

Update: After Closer Inspection... Cable 1 is exactly same as Cable 2.

Cable 3

Another cable for similar price... USD8

[url]http://#www.flipkart.com/techberri-hdmi-vga-converter-cable-audio-pc-laptop-projector-worldwide-adaptor/p/itmeyqaggvwuyhqb[/url]
===

So Can @mahjongg or someone explain @mahjonng 's reply to this posting.

If Cable 1 works as the company says crazypi.com site says ... Can Cable 2 and 3 work too at half the price.

Please Please someone put some sense into this topic of HDMI to VGA Topic.

[MODDED, broke advertising (spam) links, use copy past and remove the # if you need the link, but instead I would read the pictorial buying guide sticky so you understand exactly what you need]
Last edited by ihightower on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpdom

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:48 pm

ihightower wrote:Hi.. if what you say above is TRUE... then what about this product here.. and all the satisfied customers... Are they lying??

Is the company lying??
Did you look at the date on that posting?

A lot has changed in nearly three years.

HDMI to VGA converters have dropped in price and complexity considerably since those days as the demand for them has increased.

pluggy

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:50 pm

In strict terms, they are not cables, they are converters. The signal needs to be converted from the digital HDMI to analogue VGA. On the other hand an HDMI - DVI-D is a cable, since no conversion is necessary.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:35 pm

rpdom wrote:
ihightower wrote:Hi.. if what you say above is TRUE... then what about this product here.. and all the satisfied customers... Are they lying??

Is the company lying??

HDMI to VGA converters have dropped in price and complexity considerably since those days as the demand for them has increased.
Wow... Thank you for your insight indeed... Agree lots might have changed... but for a beginner like me.. I was shocked to read about the HDMI to VGA issue here... and more importantly the Wiki page of RPi Peripherals did not specifically mention this update.

Anyway.. for what it is worth...

[Mod: deleted Spam]

pluggy

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:05 pm

VGA is an obsolete standard that should have laid down and died with the demise of CRT monitors (circa 2003), but due to the vast installed user base and the skewed costs associated with putting connectors on monitors, most PCs still use the ridiculous concept of converting the digital graphics signal to analogue to pass up a cable which the flat panel monitor immediately converts back to digital to display. The DVI-D connector was intended to replace VGA as a complete digital solution. HDMI is a further enhancement for the TV, same digital video siganl + audio with a different connector. All but the very cheapest monitors now have DVI-D, but back in 2003, only the better ones had it. Many modern monitors have HDMI as well as DVI-D (and VGA is still there) as the montor/ TV dividing line has become increasingly blurred.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:40 pm

ihightower wrote:
rpdom wrote:

Is the company lying??

Wow... Thank you for your insight indeed... Agree lots might have changed... but for a beginner like me.. I was shocked to read about the HDMI to VGA issue here... and more importantly the Wiki page of RPi Peripherals did not specifically mention this update.

Anyway.. for what it is worth...

[Mod: deleted Spam]
Not quite sure why you said "HDMI to VGA issue". There has never been an update that enabled HDMI to VGA converters - the HDMI has always been capable of being converted. The only change is the price has dropped enough to make them really quite cheap to buy - I got fone from RS or Farnell for a reasonable price. Convertors have always been available and have always (if designed and used to the spec correctly) worked.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:52 pm

I think the change is that's being refered to is that the A+ & B+ have better power control on the HDMI interface and are more likely to work with HDMI to VGA adapters that don't use an external power supply.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:07 pm

mahjongg wrote:I hope you started with reading this?

in response to a PM from "iHightower".
"Cables" are just copper wires often with connectors at each end, and obviously those cannot convert digital HDMI signals to analog VGA signals.

Wikipedia: "A cable is two or more wires running side by side and bonded, twisted, or braided together to form a single assembly."

So the answer to the question, where can I buy "cables" to connect HDMI out to VGA for the PI is simply nowhere because they cannot exist (in working condition)! A PI cannot output analog signals to its HDMI port, as HDMI is a digital only port and the PI's SoC doesn't support it, as its purely a digital part.

Granted there were in the past video cards that misused the HDMI port to output VGA signals on, but it is against the spec, and they broke the spec simply out of cheapness to spare the cost of a real VGA connector, and extra EMC protection parts.

So the elinux.org wiki doesn't talk about "cables", but electronic converters (adapters) and these need power to work, mostly in the range of 200mA, when powered through the HDMI cable, (they are irregularily using the ca 50mA power assigned for the EEPROM in the monitor containing the CEC data) this is often too much for a B, but not for a B+ that has circuitry that can handle the current, permitted off course, that the PSU can handle the extra power needed.

Also read point 9 of my "pitfalls for beginners" sticky, here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83372

ihightower

Re: HDMI to VGA cable

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:16 pm

Thank you all for a great explanation from all.

--
I just would like to summarize from the beginner's point of view of this whole issue...

It is all nice that.. you guys are being so "precise" to differentiate distinctly between "a cable" and "a converter".

For a beginner... he doesn't care between the two.. and all he needs is "something" to hook up to RPi and to his VGA Monitor.. regardless of it is called a cable or a converter... or any other thingamajiggy.... with a reasonable price... in comparison to other "cables" out there... say under USD20 or there about.. and will it work with RPi or not... i.e. RPi HDMI out to "a cable or a converter or a thingamajiggy" to a VGA Input Monitor (which doesn't happen to have RCA, DVI, HDMI, or any other different inputs).

Even the original poster wouldn't have cared less.. had someone suggested him a converter (instead of a cable as he originally put it)... The original poster.. actually should have meant a converter... and as he had no prior knowledge about HDMI as digital and VGA as analong.. and that requires a converter instead of cable, etc...

Now the key point that is made... is YES there are cables available (sorry converters as experts call it)... for RPi to be used to connect from HDMI out to VGA Monitor.

And, the link and price where this can be obtained is given in previous posting.. at a cost of about USD8 to USD12.

Hope this helps some beginners who doesn't care about whether it is called a cable or a converter.... and all he needs is his old VGA monitor can be hooked up to his RPi.

Thank you all for a great insight and hope this posting explains in layman terms so that other guys (novice) doesn't get confused.
Last edited by ihightower on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Really all was completely explained in the Pictorial Buyers Guide Sticky, and even the WiKi long before the OP asked its first question.
The issue of cable versus adapter has come up enough times to become very tiresome and old.
So no, you were not the first to make that mistake, so people need to be educated about it, as the pictorial buyers guide did and does. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83446

As for the OP the first reply he got was to the point:

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:25 pm

mahjongg wrote:Really all was completely explained in the Pictorial Buyers Guide Sticky, and even the WiKi long before the OP asked its first question.
The issue of cable versus adapter has come up enough times to become very tiresome and old.
So no, you were not the first to make that mistake.
Thank you.. and I am just looking at the Pictorial Buyers Guide page.. which I was not aware of it earlier anyway.

And Boy!! that requires an update especially to this section... Below statement is TOO OUTDATED!!!!

If your monitor only has a VGA Connector, you are out of luck! It is not possible to buy a cheap HDMI->VGA Cable ! If you see a cable that is VGA on one end and HDMI on the other it will not work. If you want to go from HDMI to VGA you will have to buy a more expensive convertor box, ideally one that uses an external power supply, like this one.

And, my response above in previous posting.. puts it very simple without confusing out a beginner.. with unneeded terminology.

There are cheap cables (actually it is strictly called converters) available that serves this purpose at a cost of USD8 to USD12.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:28 pm

Please rewrite the section according how you think it should read then and I will consider it.

to me it reads quite concise, and not outdated in any way, but then English (UK/US) is NOT my first language Dutch is.

I have not seen an converter box (no I won't confuse the matter further by calling it a "cable") for $8 (or €8), they normally cost nearly $30.

To be perfectly clear about the terminology (as even I sometimes get confused):
  • Cable = "bunch of wires often terminated into connectors"
  • adapter = "Two connectors in a "box" interconnected with wires to convert from one type of connector to another" wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adapter
  • converter = "electronic device converting one type of signal into another. "
resellers often mix these up, calling a converter an adapter or even a cable.

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:42 pm

mahjongg wrote:Please rewrite the section according how you think it should read then and I will consider it.

to me it reads quite concise, and not outdated in any way, but then English (UK/US) is NOT my first language Dutch is.

I have not seen an converter box (no I won't confuse the matter further by calling it a "cable") for $8 (or €8), they normally cost nearly $30.

To be perfectly clear about the terminology (as even I sometimes get confused):

Cable = "bunch of wires often terminated into connectors"
adapter = "Two connectors in a "box" interconnected with wires to convert from one type of connector to another"
converter = "electronic device converting one type of signal into another. "

Here is the re-written paragraph for you.. hope this helps..

If your monitor only has a VGA Connector, you are NOT out of luck... It is NOW POSSIBLE (unlike the old days)... to buy a cheap HDMI->VGA Converter (sample pic or link to crazypi or any other page of your choice)

It works like this:

Connect from your RPi HDMI Out to VGA In of your VGA monitor by using a converter like this.

[RPi HDMI Out] HDMI Female <---> [HDMI to VGA Converter] HDMI Male on on end to VGA Female on other <--->[Normal VGA Cable] VGA Male on one end to VGA Male on other end <---> [Monitor] VGA Female

There are also... Audio OUT on some of the converter itself... to hook up to audio directly from the converter.

The cost of this HDMI to VGA Converter is about USD8 to USD12.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:45 pm

If your monitor only has a VGA Connector, you are NOT out of luck... It is NOW POSSIBLE (unlike the old days)... to buy a cheap HDMI->VGA Converter (sample pic or link to crazypi or any other page of your choice)
No that was always possible! even on a B you could use such a converter, if you used a small cable to power the adapter externally (normally in the form of a USB to power barrel plug).

P.S. where are those $8 converters, they used to cost $100, but the price has sunk to about $30
please a site where you can buy them in the UK or US and pay $12 to $8 (in dollars)

earlier offerings of around $10,- were withdrawn, no new ones seem to have surfaced.

Gert van Loo designed his super cheap VGA666 adapter, but even the simple PCB+parts for it cost more than $8.

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:51 pm

mahjongg wrote:
No that was always possible! even on a B you could use such a converter, if you used a small cable to power the adapter externally (normally in the form of a USB to power barrel plug).

P.S. where are those $8 converters, they used to cost $100, but the price has sunk to about $30
Looks like you haven't read my last posting.. where I clearly marked where such converters can be obtained at such a low price... Read it here... http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 11#p664511
And, I even called and spoke to the vendors... crazy pi (Cable 1) acknowledged that it can be used with RPi and he reduced the price immediately to USD12 (from his original USD16) after I showing him about Cable 2 and its site.

I spoke with Cable 2 guy on telephone... and he is USD8... and he told me that he is quite sure it can be used based on one review he has seen from his customer.. And, he asked me to buy it and give him feedback if it really can be used.... for which I told him.. that I will do it later.. as I am not in India at the moment.

He said he will refund the money if it cannot be used... and also asked me to inform him if this can be used.. so that he can prominently place my comments on his page.

So... now I hope you know where the $8 and $12 converters come from.

rpdom

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:55 pm

The adapter (no, it's not a cable, it doesn't look like a cable and I'm going to refuse to call any sort of active converter a "cable") I used (until I got an hdmi TV) cost about £7/€9/US$11 on ebay. It just about works on my B V1.0, is fine on my As and B+. It might take too much current for some Pi/PSUs.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Oh, I read those links but the price there is in roepiah for the local Indian market I suppose, and is not available here.

Most won't even know the conversion from roepiah to $, so how does anyone know what the price was in $?

the buyers guide once had an adapter for $9, obviously one with direct conversion, instead of the more pricier $100 frame-buffer converters, that was as low as we could find one then, but soon after they became unavailable, but the link there stayed as a help so users could find a $20 similar device.

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:03 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Oh, I read those links but the price there is in roepiah for the local Indian market I suppose, and is not available here.

Don't even know the conversion from roepiah to $, so how do I know the price in $?
Precisely I have done the conversion for everyone right in my posting... so that they don't have to do the conversion.

The price below is a benchmark for international buyers... so that they don't get cheated of something like this for USD100.
Normally any thing electronics or related to electronics is expensive in India.. compared to US Amazon.. but for this case it is clearly not..

Cable 1
INR 990 = USD16 (original)
INR750 = USD12 (revised after my enquiry to him)

Cable 2
INR530 = USD8 (cheaper rate but same as Cable 1 at least from the picture)

--
To convert you use Google Exchange Rate Feature... like this... OR use any of the various banking of xrate sites.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=750%20inr%20in%20usd

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:05 pm

and your point is?

as I said, the Buyers guide already said that prices for reasonable adapters were going down quickly, and was giving hints how to find one.

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:07 pm

mahjongg wrote:and your point is?
my point is there is converters out there readily available at a cheap price... unlike the statement.. given in Pictorial Buyers Guide page

The point is really not about Indian rupees or US or Europe here... the point is only to do with the original poster of this thread looking for a cable.. and he was denied the reply he needed... and I got lost as well.. fortunately with all your help I now know where I stand...

And, the pictorial buyers guide doesn't explain it well as well... And that's precisely the point.

It is not about exchange rate conversion.. or if international buyers can buy from that vendor or not.

--

The buyer's guide is wrong to state..

you are out of luck! It is not possible to buy a cheap HDMI->VGA Cable

No one cares if it is a cable or a converter.. as long as they can get one for USD12 and can use it..
Last edited by ihightower on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pluggy

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:08 pm

ihightower wrote: And, my response above in previous posting.. puts it very simple without confusing out a beginner.. with unneeded terminology.
An unfortunate fact of life is that people who know what they are talking about are geeks, and one of the curses of geekdom is that being a pedant comes along with the territory.

I don't exclude myself in the above.

Return to “General discussion”