stevewilson333

Can I make this video project work?

Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:53 pm

As a Raspberry noob, can you tell me if this is a feasible project?

I'm building a video surveillance wildlife camera. I want to use the Raspberry PI to automatically take video for 5 hours a day. I've done this many times with board cameras and DVRs, etc, so I'm not worried about building the power supply, etc and it looks like video storage is no problem since I can use a 256 GB card.

So my main question is how hard is to get the Raspberry Pi to turn on by itself and take 5 hours of video and shut itself down and then do it all again the next day assuming power and storage is still available? Could it be as simple as using a mechanical timer to power up the Raspberry at the start time?

Thanks much!

Mark_T

Re: Can I make this video project work?

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:44 pm

Ideally you'd use a microcontroller with a RTC module to control the powering up and powering down
(it should hand-shake with the Pi to ensure the Pi is shutdown before powering down really).

I have a vague feeling I read something about issues with large SD card sizes...

DirkS

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:49 pm

Mark_T wrote:I have a vague feeling I read something about issues with large SD card sizes...
Only a problem for the NOOBS installer, because it cannot handle exFat.
Shouldn't be a problem if you write a single distro .img file to the card.

Gr.
Dirk.

stevewilson333

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:28 am

Mark_T wrote:Ideally you'd use a microcontroller with a RTC module to control the powering up and powering down
(it should hand-shake with the Pi to ensure the Pi is shutdown before powering down really).

I have a vague feeling I read something about issues with large SD card sizes...
Thanks guys I appreciate it.

Help me understand the separate microcontroller. My understanding is that the PI starts up when it gets power - so a digital timer could do that. I imagine I could include the video program to auto run on boot. Then couldn't I have the Pi end recording and shut itself down after 5 hours via software and then the timer kills the power after that or do I really need a separate micro-controller?

rpdom

Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:09 am

Using a timer would work, as long as you can be sure the Pi has been shut down before the timer is due to turn off.

The suggestion to use a microcontroller is like having an intelligent timer that turns on at the set time, then turns off once the Pi has shut down cleanly. It is extra work, especially if you are new to microcontrollers.

PiGraham

Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:28 am

One option, although not the cheapest option, but possibly the easiest, is SleepyPi.

Something based around an RTC chip with alarm function might be a better option if you are into hardware.
https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/product ... C-Alarm-Pi
A simple FET switch connected to the alarm output could turn the Pi on at specific time and date (which can be set by the Pi to later today/tomorrow on each boot.

For cheapest options look for DS3231 based RTC modules
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14142890 ... 108&ff19=0

MrBunsy

Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:25 am

If you're not running off batteries, why power the pi down at all?

PiGraham

Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 am

The OP mentions "assuming power and storage is still available" which suggests there is limited power available.

MrBunsy

Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:35 am

Oh, I'd read that as a design assumption.

stevewilson333

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:36 am

PiGraham wrote:One option, although not the cheapest option, but possibly the easiest, is SleepyPi.

Something based around an RTC chip with alarm function might be a better option if you are into hardware.
https://www.abelectronics.co.uk/product ... C-Alarm-Pi
A simple FET switch connected to the alarm output could turn the Pi on at specific time and date (which can be set by the Pi to later today/tomorrow on each boot.

For cheapest options look for DS3231 based RTC modules
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14142890 ... 108&ff19=0
Interesting, I'll check that out, thanks.

stevewilson333

Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:36 am

MrBunsy wrote:Oh, I'd read that as a design assumption.
Yeah batteries. Out in the middle of nowhere.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”