Hello to everyone!
Santa's been busy working on a new version of motionPie: 20141228 has been released. I've been meaning to have it ready for Christmas but it seems I have underestimated the required work. The following changes have been made since the last stable version:
* The authentication mechanism has been completely rewritten and is now based on a request signature, rather than the good old HTTP Basic Auth. This not only improves security but also makes it compatible with most of the platforms and devices used these days.
* The v4l2-ctl program has been patched to work again. One of the users noticed it had been broken for a while. Real time video controls should work again.
* Drivers for the various USB ethernet adapters are now included.
* There's an FTP server enabled by default that accepts anonymous logins and allows easy downloading of media files.
* The writeimage.sh script has been enhanced to allow tweaking of SSH, SMB and FTP services. More precisely, it is now possible to enable/disable any of these services, make them require authentication or allow remote write access.
* When changing the admin password in the UI, the root password of the system is updated accordingly (by default it is still the S/N of the PI). This applies to all types of administrative logins and has been introduced for security reasons.
* The reboot button is back (some users seem to find it useful).
* The automatic brightness option is back as well (but don't blame me if it does not work as you expect).
* The number of files is now shown on the group button in the media browser.
* It is now possible to remove an entire group of media files using a big red "delete" button.
* The timelapse function has been rewritten to overcome some issues. It now works well for remote motionEye cameras and displays a progress bar to help estimating the remaining time to completion.
You will need to manually download and install 20141228, since it's marked as "prerelease". Santa might have had a few drinks while working on it and chances are that stability issues and other errors appear. Please test it as much as you can and come back with your feedback so I can fix any problems and release a stable version.
P.S. Download the image from here: https://github.com/ccrisan/motionPie/re ... g/20141228