Tass

Re: SSH on the Pi?

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 pm

I've got my Pi up and running Debian, connected to a display (TV using HDMI), connected to my network (through my laptop's wifi & ethernet using internet connection sharing) and everything's going quite well.

My next step is to get SSH up and running, so that I'm not constantly fighting over the TV.  I've downloaded Bitvise Tunnelier (http://www.bitvise.com/tunneli.....r-download) and I've managed to connect to SSH on the Pi (logging in using pi/raspberry) and the SFTP works, as does xterm.

I'm now trying to connect via Remote Desktop but it fails immediately, with an error of connection refused.

Any idea?

SN

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Remote Desktop? You don"t mean the MS mstsc program do you, surely not. . .
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Tass

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 pm

SN said:

Remote Desktop? You don"t mean the MS mstsc program do you, surely not. . .

Yes, apparently

In Tunnilier there's apparenly a Remote Desktop option:

JeremyF

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:51 pm

What Linux calls "Remote Desktop" is generally VNC. I have no idea if the "Remote Desktop" server automatically activates at startup though.
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

Tass

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:54 pm

BTW - I'm not hooked on Remote Desktop - any way I can remotely connect to Debian will be fine!

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:35 am

Does'nt Lian connect remotely using VNC in his latest tutorial video?

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

frying_fish

Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:48 am

You could set up a VNC server, yes Liam did demonstrate a part of his video from a VNC connection. It doesn't start on boot, so your best bet would be to SSH in, start a VNC server and then connect to that.

A recommendation for programs to connect for SSH purposes in windows. PuTTY. Very simple, very small, does everything you need for SSH control, admittedly it doesn't do SCP/SFTP (but winSCP does that).

You could also possibly setup a NX server, which works through SSH, but I'm not sure if there are ARM variants of the packages for that.

Tass

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:02 am

frying_fish said:

You could set up a VNC server, yes Liam did demonstrate a part of his video from a VNC connection. It doesn't start on boot, so your best bet would be to SSH in, start a VNC server and then connect to that.

A recommendation for programs to connect for SSH purposes in windows. PuTTY. Very simple, very small, does everything you need for SSH control, admittedly it doesn't do SCP/SFTP (but winSCP does that).

You could also possibly setup a NX server, which works through SSH, but I'm not sure if there are ARM variants of the packages for that.

OK, thanks frying_fish, texy.  I have no problems with VNC (use it for my Ubuntu box).  As you've mentioned there's the boot issue so I'll take a closer look at Liam's tutorial and test that out over SSH.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:05 am

You can use cygwin to display X windows. Download cygwin with xserver. Run XWin.exe -multiwindow on your PC. Then login on the PI with ssh -Y .... and start an application xclock or something. The window should appear on your PC.

Tass

Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks guys - I'm happy with this approach - connect via ssh to start VNC.  I'm a bit stuck though.  First off, I've switched to Arch as this is what Liam was using in his tutorial (where he doesn't actually show how to set VNC up, but I've found a few posts elsewhere on setting up tightvnc, etc ).

I can connect via SSH and can launch an xterm console, but can't log in.  i'm trying to log in using root & root (the default UN & PW provided for Arch), but keep getting incorrect login.  These are the credentials used to connect SSH in the first place, but don't work from xterm.

I presume I'm doing the right thing - logging in from bash, to be able to run whatever I need to?

Tass

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:52 pm

OK – ignore me for now – I've got my head up my ass.  I think I need to do a bit of reading up on bash – it looks like I can't even get into the arch GUI when I'm plugged into my TV!

EDIT: OK, after a bit more digging I've realised it's an issue with Arch needing a lot of setup - there's no GUI installed on this image by default it would seem.  After going back to the downloads page I do see that they don't recomment this for beginners.

Return to “Beginners”