arib510

Connecting Pi to PC

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:15 am

Hello.

I have a model B Pi. I also have a PC. The monitor has VGA and DVI inputs. DVI is being used for the PC. The PC has an HDMI output, but the monitor has no HDMI. Is there any possible way to connect my Pi to my monitor? If so, would there be a way to do it and also use the speakers that are connected to my PC? I've heard of using an Ethernet connection somehow to connect PC and Pi. How does that work?

ghans

Re: Connecting Pi to PC

Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:19 pm

You could use desktop sharing (VNC) over a direct Ethernet cable connection between Pi and PC.Transmitting sound will propably be complicated.

The only thing you need to do is to enable Internet connection sharing on Windows , which never worked for me personally , but others
seem to have had success.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

LetHopeItsSnowing

Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Connect your PC to the VGA.

Connect your Pi to the DVI
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

Laurens-wuyts

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:23 pm

I think this is something for you. ;)
http://pihw.wordpress.com/guides/direct ... onnection/

Laurens

Laurens-wuyts

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:25 pm

I have not used this, but I think it should work. :?
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... vnc-or-ssh

Laurens

lazarus78

Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 pm

Get a VGA to DVI adapter and connect your monitor to your PC with a VGA cable.

Also note that you can't connect both the raspberry and your PC to the same monitor and switch back and forth, otherwise KBM switches would not be necessary. So you can just plug in the Pi when you need.

Or using some remote desktop like thing would work too.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:05 pm

lazarus78 wrote:Get a VGA to DVI adapter and connect your monitor to your PC with a VGA cable.

Also note that you can't connect both the raspberry and your PC to the same monitor and switch back and forth, otherwise KBM switches would not be necessary. So you can just plug in the Pi when you need.

Or using some remote desktop like thing would work too.
On my HD Freeview TV have 2 x HDMi and 1x VGA

VGA = PC
HDMi = Pi and Chromecast

Fortunately they all boot and just switching TV Source can choose which device to view..

Previously had a 19" Monitor which had DVi & VGA

VGA = PC
DVi = Pi (HDMi to DVi Cable)

Fortunately both booted and just switching Input Source can choose which device to view..
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Beginners”