Ja$on

Is this illegal?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Is downloading a game that you already own illegal? Like if I own a game on wii can i download a crack for PC ?

aTao

Re: Is this illegal?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:50 pm

In the UK yes, its illegal, probably.
There has been a recent change in copyright ownership that now accepts that you can own and backup/copy media that you have bought, however it can be (and therefore is)argued that a different version ie PC vs Wii is a different product and the new ruling does not apply.
>)))'><'(((<

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:53 pm

If you look carefully at your licence agreement you will find that you DO NOT own any game (unless you invented it and wrote it from scratch). What you do own is a paid for licence to run a copy of the game within the terms of the licence agreement.

Part of that agreement will tell you what equipment you are licensed to run the game on and what forms of backup copy you're allowed to take of the original media that contains the licensed version of the game.

To determine whether your proposal is within the terms of the licence you'll need to study it and/or contact the owner or their agents to ask whether they include running it on a Raspberry Pi within their terms and conditions.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Ja$on

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:03 pm

So would it be illegal to download Call of Duty 4 modern warfare on PC if i own it on wii? I searched online and found mixed answers. Everyone says something different.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Yes, it's 100% illegal in most part of the world. No doubt about it at all.

DougieLawson

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Ja$on wrote:So would it be illegal to download Call of Duty 4 modern warfare on PC if i own it on wii? I searched online and found mixed answers. Everyone says something different.
Does the licence for the Wii version permit you to run a different version on a PC? Read the licence, you've agreed to it with the click-through (or opening the packaging or whatever other condition is specified in the licence).

As Mr +1 says, the answer is probably that downloading the PC version would be illegal as you don't have a valid licence to run that version.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Ja$on

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Where might I find the license? Thanks for the answers guys!

dan3008

Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Ja$on wrote:Where might I find the license? Thanks for the answers guys!
Usually on the box of the disk, its normally part of the install process too. And if the disk came with a booklet its normally in there.

in the case of console games, its often part of the agreement included with the console.

otherwise google the licence for the particular game :)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

W. H. Heydt

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:29 pm

If you have to ask yourself, "Is what I want to do illegal?" it's pretty likely that it is.

Return to “Off topic discussion”